Possible Father Hennepin Friday?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

dave12341234

Possible Father Hennepin Friday?

Post by dave12341234 »

Wondering if anyone wants to ride at hennepin Friday if forecast holds. I've never been there and I wanna trying it. Its supposed to be blowing 20.
"You can't buy happiness, but buying a kite is very close"
Kevinousdigian

Re: Possible Father Hennepin Friday?

Post by Kevinousdigian »

Father Hennepin has incredible swell/waves, especially the last two NWesters that came through. The big glossy stuff is out east of the beach and boat launch. A while back someone started calling them school bus size on a big day and I was thinking of that on the >40 mph day as they were huge.
:lol:

The snow fence is up in front of the beach (ie near the water) which will make kite launching even trickier for a solo launch. If your going to try go over by the reeds and walk out as it may stay shallower further out there.

On Saturday, I talked to the assistant Ranger about the snow fence. She listened to my safety concern and will consider my suggestion to wait til later in Oct or early Nov to put up the snow fence down by the beach. I expressed that this is a unique spot in the state and on the lake and we typically mainly go there when the cold NWesterlies blow in the spring and fall. She also told me they are trying to preserve the grass down around the beach area (except for the sand volleyball court which is supposed to be sand...). I was as polite as I could be even though some things don't make sense (if nature wants to make an area naturally sandy why not let her?). Next August I think we should call there and remind them of our desire to use the sweet launch for recreational purposes in the fall.

A few days ago it looked like good NW winds Friday but now it could have more west in it. W-NW, NW, and NNW work at FH. NNW is the hardest to launch though because it's straight on shore.
Kevin
Kevin Ousdigian
dave12341234

Post by dave12341234 »

Anybody? Its gonna be sunny!
djmadmike

Post by djmadmike »

I second that. Sounds like the Father is not an option. What is the next best on that direction on Milly?

Anyone else going up? I may be able to, but won't know for sure until tomorrow. Looks like a nice day!

Rock on
Mike N
Mike T. Nelson MS
PhD(c) Exercise Physiology U of MN
http://www.MikeTNelson.com
Athletic Performance and Physique Transformation
dave12341234

Post by dave12341234 »

well im not worried bout the launch its gonna be an almost perfect nw tomorow. but would malmo work? Im not going to hunters point.
Kevinousdigian

Post by Kevinousdigian »

Malmo works on NW but relative to FH it feels more like small lake waves. If you want the bigger waves than go to FH, if you want the shallow water, longer drive,.. go to Malmo. My understanding is that a crew of guys are heading to FH arriving 11-12 timeframe. Looks like a perfect direction and from the cams it's already cranking in the 20s as expected. ML always blows harder than forecasted on these real cold fronts.

I hope you guys have a great time up there today!!

KO
Kevin Ousdigian
djmadmike

Post by djmadmike »

Bugger, as I won't be able to make it today. Looks like a beautiful day though and have fun!!

Mike N
Mike T. Nelson MS
PhD(c) Exercise Physiology U of MN
http://www.MikeTNelson.com
Athletic Performance and Physique Transformation