Lake Miltona North of Alexandria?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

johnz

Lake Miltona North of Alexandria?

Post by johnz »

Here's what noaa says:
A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 86. South southwest wind between 13 and 18 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

I'm going up with my family for the week and will be at this beach this afternoon on the north side of lake Miltona.

Nice and sandy and shallow for a ways out - you can see the sandy bottom on google:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=miltona,+ ... 3&t=h&z=17

Anybody up there already?
John Z
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider
BBAddict

Re: Lake Miltona North of Alexandria?

Post by BBAddict »

Well, if it was as windy on Miltona as it was on Ottertail, then I would venture a guess that you had a great day! I hate spending the money and time driving as much as the next kiter, but I bet the return on investment justifies it for Ottertail. Minneapolis needs to relocate 200 miles west.
johnz

Post by johnz »

Hey, Seth...

Yes, it was nice... Warm and windy and sunny and fun and warm and windy....

Miltona is really only good on sw to se ... Anything else is worth the extra hour to OT...
John Z
BBAddict

Post by BBAddict »

I was worried when I got there and it was cloudy and rainy and not windy...the drive paid off in the end. I just hope it was worth the extra drive as compared to Mille or Washington.
efjanssen

Post by efjanssen »

Were you kiting on Ottertail on Saturday? If so, where did you launch from? I did not see any kites in the air. We were hosting a family reunion last weekend, so my wife would not let me bring my kite stuff up - and of course it was a beautiful, warm, windy day. The first windy day we have had all summer. I have not launched from the boat launch on the north side of Miltona, but my friend Steve from Alex kites there all the time and says that it is very nice.
johnz

Post by johnz »

I bumped into Steve at Miltona - nice guy!

He said that the public access just south if Pilgrim's point on the east side of lake Ida works well on sw to nw... Got 3 days riding out of 7 up there ... Pretty good for August!!
John Z
efjanssen

Post by efjanssen »

Steve is not that nice of a guy :wink: !!!

Glad to hear you got out on Miltona. Steve and I tried to hook up again this weekend to kite, but again the wind failed us. I have hauled my gear up to Ottertail five times this summer and have yet to take it out of the car. I think I have the most well traveled, under-used gear in town.