the new guy

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

westcliff

the new guy

Post by westcliff »

Well, I am not sure where to post an introduction (tried "Faces" but I don't seem to have access). I am new to the forum and to windsurfing. All kinds of newbie here. I learned to surf at the usual sites off Westcliff Dr. in Santa Cruz in highschool, but haven't lived anywhere I can ride in a while. I moved to the cities in December and have decided to try windsurfing to get on the water.

Bought a used set-up. Really used. It's at least old as 1986. Not entirely sure it's complete. It looks like I need to find a piece that will attach the board to the mast. So, much to learn. And that's just about the equipment. Then riding will be a whole other issue. I have a feeling it will be an adventure.

Any advice on where to go to obtain the suspected missing piece? Or what it might be? How about a good spot to head out and learn? Also, there is a sticker on the fin suggesting I need some sort of permit to sail here. True? I have so far to go.
JRN

Re: the new guy

Post by JRN »

CLIFF: Welcome to the Cities! You could haul your gear to "The House Boardshop" near St. Paul, or Scuba Center in Mpls. I'm sure they would be glad to find your missing parts. If your board is under 275 cm you shouldn't need a permit sticker. Try the DNR website for details. If you need lessons, try Jeff Adamski listed under services on the board index. Have fun!
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
MK

Post by MK »

Hello Cliff,

Welcome to the community. This site was developed by windsurfers centuries ago :lol:

Some of the windsurfers got into kitiing and therefore you will find a fair amount of discussion on both in here.

An annual get-together is happening this weekend on one of the states finest options for wind and water play, Lake Mille Lacs: here's a thread on it - http://www.lakawa.com/wind/wind.html No fees, no structure, just getting together to enjoy the wind.

Maybe we'll see you up there? (The "Lakes" link above will help direct you)

Mike
Chummers

Post by Chummers »

Cliff,

Welcome to MN! As a person who tried to learn on older gear, I can testify that it's a lot easier to learn on newer gear. Just keep that in mind if you find yourself getting frustrated trying to balance on a long and narrow board and getting exhausted uphauling a heavy aluminum mast repeatedly. You don't necessarily need to get yourself a beginner board, but you may find you want a newer style, wider board that you could continue to use in light winds.

Also, as a beginner, be sure to lauch from the side that the wind is blowing TOWARDS. This way you know you'll be able to get back. I made this mistake on my first time out and launched from the south side of the lake when the wind was out of the south. I ended up on the other side of the lake and had to walk back 1.5 miles to get my car and drive it back to the north side, where everyone else had launched. Trust me, you don't want to learn that lesson the hard way like I did. Have fun!
westcliff

Post by westcliff »

Thanks all for the welcome! I look forward to meeting people on the water.

JRN - Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely take the rig into the House to see if there is any hope for this cheap old board. If I understand what I've been reading, I think I'm missing a mast base and/or a universal joint. I guess I have hope those joints are pretty universal.

As a general question: how necessary are lessons? The reason I bought an old board is that I'm trying to get started on a budget and if I can get away with out lessons...

Mike - Thanks for the invite! I would be there in a heartbeat were I not out of town this weekend. I would love to meet others who are interested in the sport (as evidenced by my joining a forum). Bummer.

Chummers - Thanks for the advice and warning. I will certainly launch from the proper side of the lake now, probably would not have otherwise. I've got experience wave surfing but not so much with any sailing so I suspect that'll be the real stumbling block. I'd be happy to learn on newer equipment, but the old stuff was cheap. Real cheap. And that'll have to work for now.
Michael F

Post by Michael F »

Welcome to windsurfing in Minnesota. Fleet 8, the local and state windsurfing association for windsurfing has a strong entry-level program. Tuesdays on Calhoun is our most ready program, now in its fifth year. We meet at Lake Calhoun on Tuesdays when conditions are adequate, or we come back on Thursday. We don’t usually offer instruction, but if you have any experience, our equipment is entry-level friendly. Please contact us at Fleet-8@juno.com so we have your address for updates. Hope to see you on the lake.

Fleet 8, now in its 40th year of serving free-wind sports in Minnesota.
Director of Fleet 8
fleet-8@juno.com
baliweber

Post by baliweber »

Hey Cliff, welcome to the cold!

I am a windsurfer who has been experimenting with kiting lately. Once the winds pick up again I will certainly be on the water doing both. You are more than welcome to tag along and I will give you some pointers over a couple of brewskies and dogs. Feel free to give me a call so that we have each others contacts and can work something out.

Thomas

612-369-0542
westcliff

Post by westcliff »

Thomas - I certainly can't pass up an offer like that! I'll be happy to buy the beer and dogs too. I'm headed out of town this Sunday, but I'll give you a call before then. Thanks!

Michael F - Sounds like would be a fun Tuesday evening. I'll shoot you an e-mail so I can get on the list. Thanks for letting me know about it.

I hope everyone has fun at Lake Mille Lacs this weekend. I really wish I could make it there.