Meeting Switched To WBL - Ramsey Beach at 7 pm Today!

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

johnz

Meeting Switched To WBL - Ramsey Beach at 7 pm Today!

Post by johnz »

I just got off the phone with Nate - It's 11 am - and got him to switch the meeting to WBL, since it is a SE wind today.

We also bumped 'er back to 7 pm to give people more time to fight traffic.

Hopefully, the chance of some rides (for the more advanced riders) will help justify the gas... :)

7 pm at the picnic tables at Ramsey Beach.
John Z
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider
Professor Robae'

Re: Meeting Switched To WBL - Ramsey Beach at 7 pm Today!

Post by Professor Robae' »

Hi guys,

I won't make the meeting but one point I hope you bring up besides the obvious and critical needs for better landing and launching technique and newbee concerns is this:

Please do not jump when upwind or in front of windsurfers (or any other lake user)! It was as bad as I have ever seen it the other day at Waconia. Several others commented on this as well with one guy saying he was nearly landed on. I saw a kiter jump in front and to windward of my good friend Jeff Hotvet (without looking) and his kite board went whizzing by Jeff's head at a frightening speed! Are you serious?

This should be 101 basic etiquette for kiters: Look before you jump! Don't jump when you are upwind of any other lake user - ever! Thank you.
RobH

Post by RobH »

I also wont be able to make this tonight as work is getting in the way. Im more than willing to commit time and energy to preserving our our riding sites. I also have to echo the above post, we have been discussing this string for several weeks and within that time I have also witnessed several bad examples of common sense/safe kiting by advanced riders. Have a good productive meeting, keeping in mind whats good for the kite comunity and hopefully some actions come out of this. Think its best to start on small things that we can get buyin from the kite community and tackle the bigger issues when/if this effort matures. Thanks to Nate and those stepping up to the task.
Rob
Rob Hyland
Cabrinha Shop Rider / Lakawa Team Rider
JRN

Post by JRN »

THE MEET FINALLY HAPPENED! It was proposed that a set of general guidelines be drawn up & agreed upon. Anyone's suggestions are welcome. Maybe on a new thread. A meeting on Sunday at the U of M is in the works. All are welcome to attend. This is a very viable & passionate subject.
Please try to keep in on a logical & rational level. Leave your emotions & tempers at the door.
Think of ways to get this done without creating a police state while still having enough support among us to have some gravity.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})