Coming full circle

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Tighe

Coming full circle

Post by Tighe »

Many of us (mainly old timers) remember a time where we woke, rolled over and grabbed a small little box, our god-in-a-box, weather radio and listened to the forecast for the region. Around mid nineties it moved from a live person to an automated voice repeating current conditions, forecast, and statewide view. We would anxiously await the Lakes Area Wind Advisories, which always were an indication to break out the small gear. (And was my inspiration for the the name of this site). These radios have been replaced by most by the internet and advanced forecasting models, detailed isobar maps and hour by hour animated forecasting....on our Phones! Today I found an app that brings it full circle. iMap Weather Radio brings the weather radio to the iphone (and maybe others) There is something rather charming about listening to the rather archaic automated weather reporting on a small device that has more horsepower than the Apollo 13 spacecraft! Even though I didn't need to, i found myself bringing the phone to my ear, clutching this new little box, like I had so many times before, so long ago, and anxiously awaiting the recording to cycle to the forecast and current conditions.

There are a few nice additional features with the new app. There are wind alerts that you can set, multiple stations to review, etc. But most likely I'll be using all my other sources to get my local fix.
Tighe
steveb

Re: Coming full circle

Post by steveb »

Here's where I prove I'm a ludite, I still use my sexy yellow weather radio
Regional Ozone Team rider
JRN

Post by JRN »

I LIKE THE FACT THAT, in spite of decades of use, the computer generated voice doesn't know how to pronounce "winds." It says, "wynds," as in winding a pocket watch. I've got my weather radio in the glove box to this day.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

You guys are so retro it's cool

Everything always comes full circle. Gotta find my Walkman.... : )
Tighe
TomFranchett

Post by TomFranchett »

My Favorite word pronounced by the computer is 'cloudy'. it sort of draws it out... ill check out the application
Tom F Light and Waves