Annual wind/kite swap

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

MK

Annual wind/kite swap

Post by MK »

When: Sat May 7th 8-1pm
Where: The House 200 S Owasso Blvd., Little Canada, MN 55117 651-482-9995
slopecat

Re: Annual wind/kite swap

Post by slopecat »

I cannot find any information about this on the House web site. What else can you tell us folks that are new to kiting about the swap meet?

Are there likely to be any kites there or is this mainly for boards and windsurfing gear?

Thanks,
Mike
JRN

Post by JRN »

Slopes: Try googling, "The House Boardshop." You will find both kite & sailboard gear, as well as boards, skis, etc. Bring your own snacks & coffee. Get there early for the best selection. They have the shops open with special swap pricing. Last year I got a sweet helmet for less than 1/2 price. They're great folks to do business with. See you there!
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
JERRY

Post by JERRY »

Always fun to see old stoked pips from 1989 when I started riding and new stoked faces. Haven't missed this get together yet. 8)

What is the earliest date of the Swap :?:
"The Pessimist complains about the wind; the optomist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." William Arther Ward
Randy

Post by Randy »

When we started Sailboard Warehouse in '82 we were up the road at Yorkton Industrial Blvd. I recall some swappage going on up there as early as '86, but the first real get together didn't happen until '88, as I recall. It precipitated a drought summer with non-stop southerly winds and heat. It was always interesting to see who and what showed up. Perhaps the craziest was a couple who set up a hang glider under power lines on a windy day. Needless to say, I don't believe in 'used' hang gliders and they were asked to take it down. It's always been a great event to fire the stoke to the new season with old friends and new potential riders. For several years we had people driving in from all over the Midwest, sleeping in our parking lot to be sure they got a good spot.
Some of you may recall the years where we held it at the state fairgrounds. Perhaps with the advent of SUP, the growth of kiteboarding and a resurgence of windsurfing, we'll start seeing a return to those bigger turnouts from years ago.
Nothing like equipment barter or threatened access to bring us face-to-face from the multitude of riding options (and now technological communication options) we have in this great state of Minnesota.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
Lee_Uptown

Post by Lee_Uptown »

Looks like it might rain on Sat. a.m? Is there a shelter? Alt. Location?
jfm

Post by jfm »

Is this at a store where I can use a credit card or is this a cash only event?
MK

Post by MK »

Pretty much a cash event. The House will be open offering specials and they take CC's. Some of us carry card swipes for our mobiles too but I would expect most transactions to be cash.
slopecat

Post by slopecat »

Based on past years, how likely is it that one will see any foil kites for sale?

Is there anyone planning to bring any?

Mike
Lee_Uptown

Post by Lee_Uptown »

I'm bringing an iPad where I can do bank (wells fargo) paypal transfers. I believe SmartPhones can do paypal transfers as well. I will bring a foil kite.
MK

Post by MK »

Glad I went, lots of activity and deals happening. I wonder if I offered a quick auction style platform if it would help everyone get there gear viewed??
RobH

Post by RobH »

Hey Mike,
Interesting point indeed, I noticed that clearwater outfiters did that exact thing on Saturday for canoes and kayaks. They invited people to bring in there used/old equipment to auction off, so instead of just a swap meet they actually had auction services as well. I didnt get to either the swap or the clearwaters auction so can't comment first hand, but it would be interesting if it could be pulled off with the swap at a designated time, so if the sellers dont get offers on the gear, it would end up on the auction block if they really wanted to move it. Course thats allot more work for somebody to organize!
Rob Hyland
Cabrinha Shop Rider / Lakawa Team Rider