Light wind board

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

MAXIMILIANO

Light wind board

Post by MAXIMILIANO »

I know here in MN the most popular kiteboard for light wind days is the Spleene Door, BUT I wonder if someone has one or has tried the Litewave Wing 161?

I did some research and I only found this: http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2367848

I would like to hear a little more about this board, please let me know if you have some info.

Thanks in advance.

Max
Tighe

Re: Light wind board

Post by Tighe »

Might give Jeff Hoxtell at Air Padre a call. They sell both I think and could give you a pretty good comparison.
Tighe
MAXIMILIANO

Post by MAXIMILIANO »

Good thought Tighe! We met Jeff 3 or 4 years a go in Mexico and we shared New Years and a couple of dinners with him, Patty and Brian. Very nice guys! I will call him tomorrow.

Also I want to say thanks a lot Tighe, always you are VERY helpful... I owe you a few ;)

Hurry up on the edition of the SP video! I can't wait to see how much fun was it.
JimPat

Post by JimPat »

Not a fan of that particular Litewave board. I rented one from Jeff at Air Padre and rode it for a couple of hours. I was quite disappointed with this board. The wind was 12 to 16mph(ultra-light). I went back to Air Padre to get their Spleene/Door board and the difference was remarkable. The Litewave board has a rocker design where the Spleene is a very flat board. The rocker causes the Litewave board to ride like a shorter board (sinking in and giving more edge). The Spleene is a flat board which puts more surface on top of the water which keeps you from sinking in- in ultra light winds! The Litewave board is trying to be a light wind board that can also be ridden in medium strength winds. Once you have good board riding skills you are able to use the edge of the board and the fins don't play that much of a role. When the winds pick up you won't want to be on a large rectangular board for multiple reasons! It gets a little complicated because a beginner will try the two boards and prefer the Litewave board because they don't have good board/edging riding skills (the feeling of more edge will of course give you a feeling of more control), and not being in control is the spooky phase of kiteboarding. So as always- it depends on what you are looking for.
Jim & Patty
RV Team Riders
Waconia, SPI, Hood River
952-457-8939
Jason_L

Post by Jason_L »

Same exact experience as Jim. It was very slow and not good in light wind in my opinion. Felt like there was a ton of resistance. The Spleene Door, Liquid Force Low Rider, or biggest ABoard would be some better choices over that particular Lightwave board.
MAXIMILIANO

Post by MAXIMILIANO »

Thanks Jim and Jason for the info. I talked with Paul at Air Padre, Jeff was not there, but I send a email to him. This afernoon I called around 5 shops around the country that also sale both boards asking for info and comparations before I spend the money... The opinion about the 2011 Wing 161 and 2011 Spleene 159 are VERY divided. Some people love the Wing and some people love the Spleene.

I heard from five shops that the boards have very similar low end. Also, the 5 shops agree that the Wing in choppy conditions is awesome which is a benefit here in MN. 3 of the shops said the Wing is more manuverable and 2 say the Spleene was better.

Both boards are not perfect... Both have their pros and cons.

I am a 205 lb guy and I am going to use this board with a T3 17m. The low end of that kite is amazing. After hearing all of the pros and cons, I think either board should be fine.

Now let's hunt for the better deal.

Thanks again for your help!
Kosk

Post by Kosk »

I'll throw in a vote for the ABoards Glider. I picked one up off AirPadre late last summer and really like it. I feel that it rides very similar to the Doors I have tried. Flat, flexible, and very smooth. I got the shorter 145 version. Plenty of width through the entire board, rockets up wind, but way more manueverable due to the shorter length. The Doors felt like trying to turn a 180 in a skid-steer, where the shorter Glider I can even ollie-180 on to set up for a turn. They also make longer versions as well.
Mike W

Post by Mike W »

Max, with the T3 and the Wing you will get out plenty early. I am using a big Crazyfly with my 17 this season. That kite has so much power that you can get away with a bit smaller light air board. You want something that you can edge in the gusts to keep things under control.
scottman

Post by scottman »

Max I have a 154 Spleen Door that i would be more than happy to let you try before you buy, just let me know if you are interested in trying it.

For me being 215 Lbs it gets me up on plain right away and rides very smooth and contrary to what people might say about the size it is easy to turn and transition. I have always said it was and still is the best Kiteboarding purchase I have ever made, i would not give it up for anything!
MAXIMILIANO

Post by MAXIMILIANO »

Thanks Pete! I did check out the ABoards Glider.

Mike, I am with you on this one "You want something that you can edge in the gusts to keep things under control."

Thanks for the offer Scott! I did try the Spleene at Reddy last summer... I don't want to put Spleene down because it is the most
popular light wind board world wide.

I just always want to try something different... I have been riding Skywalker boards for years and I have 3 of them, of which I love.
Skywalkers are not very popular boards around here, but I love how these
boards ride.

I am stoked about the Wing 161 after hearing from the dealer shops and reading in different forums. I think I will give this board a shot. I think after a couple of sessions I will be happy with it. Plus, I found one 2011 complete for $549 and the board retails $679. If I don't like it I will sell it and then buy the Spleene.

Gracias again everybody, I will see you on water soon.
scottman

Post by scottman »

Cool Max, I'll see you on the water soon!!!
MAXIMILIANO

Post by MAXIMILIANO »

Awesome!
stefen.L

Post by stefen.L »

I had a chance to try a FLYSURFER FLYDOOR M 155cm back to back with my spleene door 159cm 2006. I liked the flydoor a lot , it was stiffer, and the rails sliced through the chop at Mille really nice. I thought it was a lot more fun to ride, with the same low end. I like the fins on the tow side.
MAXIMILIANO

Post by MAXIMILIANO »

Thanks for the info Stefen.

I bought the 2011 Wing 161. I will try this board out in a few different conditions, If I don't like it, I will sell it and hunt again for a new board. I heard from people that have been riding this board for a few months and they REALLY like it. Let's see how it goes...