Kites Cross Antarctic

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Chuck G.

Kites Cross Antarctic

Post by Chuck G. »

I read this online today from CNN. I know someone posted info about the ski buggy a while back. It would be nice if there was a link to track there progress?

This would be an adventure!

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/12 ... index.html

Hope I put the link in correctly!

Chuck G
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

The expedition site is: http://www.icekites.com. Kites are supplied by Advance Kites.

The latest news from them is:

Monday 30/12/2002. E-mail from Antarctica via Iridium phone at 14.59

Arrived at the South Pole yesterday 29th December after a long flight from Patriot Hills in the Single Otter. We paid our respects to the Station Manager before setting off in very light winds. They proved to be too light and after 5 hours we pitched camp about 2 miles from the Pole. It is now 11am on the 30th December and we have had absolutely no wind since we pitched camp. It is frustrating but we just have to sit and wait. Man-hauling our loaded buggies is not practical.
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

I guess we're not the only ones wishing we had better kiting conditions. After 4 days of waiting around for wind they decided to throw in the towel and come home.

Latest news:

Thursday 02/01/2002. Call from Antarctica via Iridium phone

On 1 January 2003, Jamie Young and Brian Cunningham had to abort their ice kiting expedition across Antarctica. Since arriving at the South Pole the team have been frustrated by almost windless conditions which consequently made travelling by kite an impossibility.

Although the team's research had indicated suitable wind strengths at this time of year, the region has experienced unusually calm weather this Christmas and, according to local meteorologists, the windless conditions looked likely to continue for most of January. Wind at the South Pole has approximately 25 per cent less power than in most other areas because of the zero humidity and high altitude.

Naturally, Brian and Jamie are feeling frustrated and disappointed. They remain convinced that the concept will work and will someday revolutionise polar travel.
Chuck G.

Post by Chuck G. »

Thanks Barry for the info. I had read that on there web site (thanks to you for giving it out). I'm sure they're frustrated. At least we can just drive back home if there aren't any winds!

I find there adventure intriguing. Wish it were me! Plus, I wish I had one of those buggies :lol:

Chuck G