Kite quiver

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

littlejohn

Kite quiver

Post by littlejohn »

I bought a 14m high ar kite and am looking for adice for the next size to buy. Bigger and smaller. In windsurfing I like the .7 difference in sail size. 4.0 4.7 5.5.

What are good kite quiver sizes?

Thanks in advance
Johnny W.

Post by Johnny W. »

what kind of kite is it, and how big are u?
Johnny W.

Post by Johnny W. »

I have a 14 slingshot fuel paired with a 9. It really works well for me, covers a lot of ground. I can ride the 14 up until about 22 and then the 9 on up from there. Im 190 and have never had to ride smaller than a 9 because of high wind. If i had to do it all over again, I would get a 17-18ish, 12, 9 because on really light days when the kite will still fly its tough to get going on the 14. If u are smaller than me, I think the 14 will be a good big kite and a 9 would be a nice smaller kite, 8 9 10 depending on the company. Good luck!!
littlejohn

Post by littlejohn »

Thanks. i'm also 190 so your input is good.

Another question: at what size does a kite start to lose performance. I have heard that kites bigger than 16 are difficult to water relanch and dont have very good performance. Is this true? Or has modern technology changed the performance of larger kites? Is there anyone who has tried a 18m kite that they liked a lot.? One that perfomed well.

TIA
littlejohn

Post by littlejohn »

BTW the kite is a Gaastra GXR
Johnny W.

Post by Johnny W. »

I flew the biggest slingshot fuel the other night, 18 or 19 i forget, , and it was sweet. Flew a touch slower than my 2002 SS 14, but not much. Big kites are definitly harder to relaunch on water beacuase its usually light wind when they are out, which makes it hard to flip on its back. That goes for big and small kites in light wind, hard to relaunch in light wind. Anything past 2002 is pretty comprible, but the 04 big kites fly as good as the 14's of 2002 from what i experianced... Scuba center sells the sling shot gear and has good prices.