Kite Island access

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

berken

Kite Island access

Post by berken »

I took my Geo Metro out on the ice to Kite Island last Friday via the north shore of Wayzata Bay. Luckily I didn't get stuck...I plan on heading out there again tomorrow but don't think the Rusty Jellybean will make it through all the fresh powder. Anyone know where the nearest mainland parking to Kite Island is?

Thanks!
MK

Re: Kite Island access

Post by MK »

Saw you out there but didn't get a chance to say hello. Looked like you had fun. Don't hesitate to come over to my group and testify:) or just say hello.

I've seen some people park at the lot just before entering the ice road. Some body may pull you on a sled or give you a ride out and then take a look at the timing when leaving and do the same.

Fresh powder tomorrow and wind. Good day for a garage cleaning.
zheton

Post by zheton »

There is a public access on wayazata bay. I've been on Kite Island only once. I just parked my car at the public parking and used my kite to get there) I was out of luck because later the wind calm down, and i couldn't make it back), but i met awesome kiter Greg who gave me a ride to my car) I think that I'm gonna be there tomorrow too. i don't want to risk to get stuck, so i will probably launch at Cottgewood access))
tom_latcham

Post by tom_latcham »

I have 2 wheel drive. I find that driving out from the Wayzata beach access is the best way to go. Just west of North coast restuarant.
TL