Thursday afternoon, or evening?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

markdbliss

Thursday afternoon, or evening?

Post by markdbliss »

Will wind conditions be better Thursday afternoon (2-6pm), or evening (6-9pm)? I see some gusts in the afternoon, but not sure if people will steer towards one or the other.

I'm a newbie, so any suggestions would be nice. I am thinking of going out to Kite Island on Minnetonka! Blue/Yellow 10M Ozone Frenzy
scottman

Re: Thursday afternoon, or evening?

Post by scottman »

109th fields by the Church today around 3:00 pm, hope to se some more peeps.
jrjohnson1

Post by jrjohnson1 »

I would be willing to bet your kiting experience will be much better with the use of sunlight versus moonlight. As of lately, there's been few days around here when the wind forecast looks as good as it does today, if you have the afternoon off, make good use of it. As far as dealing with gusts, you'll be better off choosing a big open area such as a lake, the bigger the better. Kite Island should be a good choice with today's NW wind.
scottman

Post by scottman »

I live for high gusty winds, can't wait!!!
Reds

Post by Reds »

If it's going to gusty I tend to use a slightly smaller kite. Kite during the day when you can see!
Patrick
scottman

Post by scottman »

14m all the way home doggy's, nothing like being sent to the moon and gliding 50 yards before you come in for the approach!!!!
jrjohnson1

Post by jrjohnson1 »

I'm all for strong winds and big jumps too, but a 14M kite in gusty winds isn't good advice for a newbie. Let's help point the guy in the right direction.
scottman

Post by scottman »

Sorry I was speaking for myself I'm a crazy man sometimes but am very comforatble being overpowered and thats how I always ride if I can help it.
Yes as a new person to this sport, if you are ever not sure what size kite to use always and I mean always go with the smaller kite, you can always come back in and get a bigger one if you need one. And above all use a leash and make sure it's in working condition, I have made it a habit of mine now to exercise all of my releases before I go out, especially the chicken loop, this is the first one that will save your life if you get into a situation. I have seen more people than I would like to say that never have released there chicken loops since they have had the kite, hard to belive huh? And when it comes time to release to find out it sticks or on the other hand you don't know what your kite does when you do release it, some people are surprised as to what there kite actually does after they have released there safety on the chicken loop. So make it a habit to release your safety's before you go out, the wind if it's blowing isn't going anywhere just take the time it may save your life one day?
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

Me to scott lets get some pwer gust out there ..newbies get your foil one M.kite jejeeje : :lol:
scottman

Post by scottman »

I'll be at the church right after work man, hope to see you there!!! Can't wait!!!
jrjohnson1

Post by jrjohnson1 »

Excellent advice on safety Scott!
jrjohnson1

Post by jrjohnson1 »

Last edited by jrjohnson1 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lloyd K

Post by Lloyd K »

Kite Island around 12:30 today.
MK

Post by MK »

First session of the season at Kite Island. I too was very happy on my 14M but wouldn't suggest a noob to get out on that size. Plenty of great riders out today stylin on 11's, 10's and 9's. Nice summary of safety Rideout.

Great to see John K and Mark B out there. Bill S is a new addict and blends in amazingly well.

Last breath of wind ridden was at 8:30pm in the bright moonlight by a student who concluded I've created a monster, now hooked on the sport.

Cheers to all of us monsters.
scottman

Post by scottman »

Sweet, glad some people got out despite the cold temps. Met Max on Medicine Lake, great wind great time, got some great hang time last night, 14m was the call!!
MAXIMILIANO

Post by MAXIMILIANO »

Scott, Eugene, Saul, it was nice to ride with you guys.

Here are some Gopro shots ;)
http://www.lakawa.com/phpBB/lakawaphoto/?show=339

See you next time!
Last edited by MAXIMILIANO on Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
scottman

Post by scottman »

Cool pics Max, sorry I had to leave I had some things to do last night so I had to lave a little eary, I missed Saul, hi Saul, Eugene your kiting great keep it up man summer is going to be ablast for you if you like the snow stuff.

Max post some video if it turned out, I think I'm really liking the camera GoPro, now that I see how well it works awesome!!!
MAXIMILIANO

Post by MAXIMILIANO »

Yeah! Kudos for Eugene!

Scott, I am working on the video... Please give me your new email.

Thanks!
scottman

Post by scottman »

scottman43@gmal.com

Can't wait to see the video, hope it turned out as good as the still pictures turned out?
MK

Post by MK »

Glad to see Medicine Lake was used. I hit it 2x this week and think the conditions are similar to Kite Island. Glad the lakes are all good.

Hey Max, I like video:)

I have an application in to GoPro to retail it. Our community produces some amazing stills and video. I'll be happy to be the low price leader. The lessons will benefit too.