Octane 9m and Rally 8m

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Matixsnow

Octane 9m and Rally 8m

Post by Matixsnow »

Anyone ride the Octane 9m or smaller? Currently own the 11m and looking for 1 kite smaller. Not sure if the 9m is too close to the 11m.

Why was this kite discontinued?

Anyone ride the 8m Rally?
Tighe

Re: Octane 9m and Rally 8m

Post by Tighe »

very different kites. Love them both. I took my Octane 11m up into the 30s but I weigh close to 200. You might consider the 7 instead of the 9m for a significant enough jump. The 8 Rally is quite nice as well but depowers more through edging than through the bar like the Octane. I would think the Rally might be a bit more stable in the higher winds and probably handle gusts better.

Not sure why they didn't continued the Octane. Love that kite.

I have a small Rally if you want to take a ride sometime.
Tighe
kiteboymn

Post by kiteboymn »

I'd like to take you're small Rally for a ride sometime too Tighe!......that sssaounds fabulousss.
Live Hard!
Lakawa Shop Rider
http://mnkiteboy.com/
victor-MadKR

Post by victor-MadKR »

I have been flying the 8m rpm. It is more like a 7m, you really need wind to get more from the kite. Especially in the wakestyle mode. The trick for me was to fly it with the line extensions which I had to buy them separately. The 2010 comes with 20 m lines which give you a more direct feeling and great for looping and waves (powerful when looping and very fast). Used the 20m lines in lake Michigan and with waves is really good, kite always with you when you need it. When I need more power I use the extensions.
I think overall the kite flies better with 23 m lines.
Hope this helps.
Victor
RobH

Post by RobH »

Hey Victor - you make those RPMs sing for sure, I would have thought it would be shorter lines to get more direct feel, faster, ect... Obviously you know as you have made the change, what are the thoughts to longer lines making this difference ?

See ya when the ice is gone!
Rob
Rob Hyland
Cabrinha Shop Rider / Lakawa Team Rider
Matixsnow

Post by Matixsnow »

Victor,

What's the ideal wind range for your RPM 8m?

Thanks!
victor-MadKR

Post by victor-MadKR »

RobH wrote:I would have thought it would be shorter lines to get more direct feel, faster, ect... Obviously you know as you have made the change, what are the thoughts to longer lines making this difference ?
Hey Rob, we missed you the other week man, please forgive my broken english, that's what I was trying to say. Shorter lines faster and more direct feeling. Almost too fast so if you fish poll it, you are going for a second loop so quickly.
I get more power with longer lines and I think the kite is more stable.
I was reading about this guy who replaced the pulleys at the kite and he claims the kite is even better. Curious to try it out. Might be a crazy thing and curious if the 2011 RPM has the pulleys still.?
[sorry about the cross forum post]
http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 9&start=10

I'm 148 lbs and I can hold it in 30 mph, gusting to 40 is trouble for me. That is when the short lines and the freestyle mode comes in handy.
Solid 20 mph to get going in the water.

Victor