Ski Length and type?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

wiggie07

Ski Length and type?

Post by wiggie07 »

Hey everyone, I have been skiing in the winter time using a friends pair of skis for a couple years now and its time for me to get my own. I cant afford new so its going to be interesting finding exactly the right pair.

What does everyone recommend getting for riding the lakes in MN? I am 154 lbs 5' 10" and college age.

I'm not sure on what length, width, flex, or turn radius. I have found forums from guys in the mountains talking about what to do in the powder, but that wont help me. Some say to get them longer and wider and some say short around chest height. What is appropriate. I would consider myself to be an intermediate rider.

Im guessing I should look at a true twin tip ski that is just below my chin and wider.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Geo

Re: Ski Length and type?

Post by Geo »

Short answer is get what you might use for downhill and go have fun on the kite, too. Longer answer is that wider, twin tip, longer radius skis (22m + or so) should handle the varied cruddy conditions best. Long skis are nice since they track straighter, but if you are into a bunch of more gnarly maneuvers you might want them shorter.

Boots are probably more important since it can be no fun if your feet hurt, no matter how groovy the skis are.

FInd something used (craigslist?) Go have fun.
thewavebb

Post by thewavebb »

twin tips can be found pretty cheap now too. I picked up my last pair off of Newschoolers.com (it's a site just for freeskiers) and I have seen a lot on craigslist as well.

For blasting through crud and ice I like a little stiffer ski, so have stayed away from skis that are softer and/or have foam cores. Foam cores will go to hell after a while and get really sluggish.

I am riding some K2 PE's (public enemy's) for a couple seasons now and they have been great. +1 on the boots comment...good/comfortable boots will give you more benefits then good skis will.
markdbliss

Post by markdbliss »

I am 6'5", 250lb, and have two pair of skis: Solomon X Screams that are 187cm lg, and a pair of Salomon 1080 Foil twin tips that are 175cm long. I like black/double black tree skiing, carving fast on blues, and deep powder out west - the Foils are nice as they float, are quick turning, and responsive. Usually you select a ski that is about up to your nose. I prefer a smaller turning radius.

It's totally true that you should invest in a good boot, as this either makes or breaks your experience. I use my 187's for kiting. Get something that holds a good edge.

Joe's Ski Shop has good end of the season deals, so watch there!
sekollera

Post by sekollera »

I personally do not think it matters all that much.

I ski carver boards out west and they matter a lot on the hill. But for kiting I use old straight 203cm Volkl slalom skis and they seem to work fine.

Call me old-school (used to ski 100+ days a year) but going straight hard on-edge on a frozen lake with a kite does not seem to "work" the ski the same if you were free skiing. If I could bring back my old 215 super g's for kiting.... I would!

Boots are everything, as noted.

/Adam