snow accumulation

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

magicninja

snow accumulation

Post by magicninja »

Did any lakes west of the metro get some snow cover thurs/fri? I want to ride today but would rather ride on snow than ice. Where's everyone at today.

How's the cover at the 109th fields scottman?
Washington or Green lakes? any info...
tom_latcham

Re: snow accumulation

Post by tom_latcham »

Minnetonka went from some of the best untracked snow to hard ice in 24 hours. The rain turned it into one big slush lake that has now frozen into hard ice. The small amount of sleet and snow is blowing around leaving large ice patches all over. Where snow mobiles or 4 wheelers went through the slush you get frozen ruts that will take a ski off if hit at the wrong angle. I think we need to find some land to ride on since the lakes around the metro are unrideable tell we get more snow. Anyone know some kite friendly open land owners in the west metro?
TL
JRN

Post by JRN »

JUST CHECKED OUT WBL @ BELLAIRE. The melt, subsequent rain, & hard freeze have left a bumpy surface of ice. Very tracked up near shore, and lots of little pressure ridges further out.
Thought about trying a freeskate, but it looks too rough for that.
I'm guessing there are better conditions
to be found further west
where it remained all snow, without the rain & melting. I'll be curious to hear the reports back from those who tried Mille Lacs. Hope they're having fun!
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
MK

Post by MK »

Winds too high and gusty for newbs, cold temps, holiday and late night partying for some kept my schedule clear today. That allowed me time to ride :)

I'm out west in Litchefield, home of the Jerry and Peterrib. We met up for a session on a splendid piece of land Jerry gained permission to ride about 5 miles north of Dassel. It has some hills that create a few bowls. We had a fair amount of loose snow blowing that created white-out in the gusts. It looked like what I imagine a trek to the north pole or Everest would be like during the white-out. Strangely disorienting.

Surface was patchy with a lot of crust. I was careful not to down my 10M to minimize any rub. As I edged in on my board I would break the surface but mostly rode on top of it all. Baseline winds were 20-25mph with up to 10mph gusts. It was challenging and tiresome. All taken with a permanent smile, partially frozen. I lasted a little over an hour of riding. Victor of Madison area just showed up as I was leaving.

I spoke with Alex (Alfredo). He and Scott (Scottman) hit the fields at 109th but scrapped it stating the west wind was junk at that location, especially with the gusts. Last I heard they were trekking to Lochness Park in Blaine.

I may take a run out on Lake Ripley in town here and will report back on the conditions. I too am hoping those who trekked up north had some Milly Mania and look forward to hearing about it.

Reporting from the west,

Cheers to the new year!
mdh01

Post by mdh01 »

Pelican Lake (north of Brainerd) was awesome the past two days. Great snow (added a few more inches last night) and strong smooth winds! Next weekend's ice fest at Breezy point should provide excellent conditions on the lake...let's hope for good winds too!

Mark
magicninja

Post by magicninja »

I drove by Calhoun and it looked about the same as the other metro reports, scrapped that idea and headed up to the 109th fields. Spent a good three or so hours out in the chop and crust hoping I could break trail for later smoother runs...no such luck. Gusts weren't to bad but the wind was sorta crap and since daylight was fading I stuck it out. Almost headed to Milly, hope I don't regret it :P Conditions sound good for breezy point, haven't made a reservation for lodging yet sounds like there's plenty of places to stay though. Hope everyone was safe and had fun today..see you out there george
madtrix

Post by madtrix »

Up on Mille this past Saturday about two miles west of Memorial Park in Malmo.

Wind was blowing hard and consistent. The snow was surprisingly decent. Friday night left the lake with a couple inches of good riding snow. We weren’t falling into any slush and didn’t hit any ice patches while riding, just a few hard patches, but not many.

I’d still consider myself a beginner, so needless to say the wind was a little bit on the strong side, but I’m sure for the advanced riders it would have been great!