Kiting Strategy - not ending up too far downwind

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

markdbliss

Kiting Strategy - not ending up too far downwind

Post by markdbliss »

I'm a newby in kite skiing, and need some assistance on strategy. I just went out today to a local field, and I was slightly successful. My problem is that I ended up quite far downwind and had to hike back a considerable distance.

Is the goal to be doing a figure eight relative to the wind, as I've drawn in the attached picture? I assume you want your turns to be quick on either end and try to tack upwind as much as possible during the middle portions. However, how does one successfully do this while keeping the kite in the wind window and not having a huge sideforce pulling you over sideways. I lost my balance many times as the kite force pulled me over...

Thanks!

-Mark
Attachments
kiting.png
kiting.png (4.39 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
JRN

Re: Kiting Strategy - not ending up too far downwind

Post by JRN »

NOT STAYING UPWIND IS PRETTY COMMON AMONG NEW KITERS. Your idea of a figure 8 is good in theory, but there are many other factors which may be adding to the problem. Make sure your kite is fully inflated to provide an efficient foil and that it is the proper size for conditions. You may also want to experiment with altering the trim of your kite. If you are being pulled off your edge, your kite may be over powered. Try flying with the bar extended further out, or with the sheeting strap pulled further in. This will alter the AOA, or angle of attack, so that the foil is passing through the air, rather than against it. Flying with the kite at a low angle to the surface will also create greater pull against you, so keep it at a higher angle. Your stance and foot pressure will effect how your board or skis move across the surface. Try opening your stance so that your hips are angled towards the direction you wish to go. Heel pressure on the back foot while lifting the toes on the front helps when on a board, or slanting the skis to windward. Lean back against the kite, and let the harness carry the load of the wind power. Most helpful is simply spending plenty of time under your kite, and it will all fall into place. Good Luck & enjoy the process!
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
scottman

Post by scottman »

A great exercise for a new person to try and saty upwind is to strike out cross wind and when you get to a distnace you are comfortable with, stop, kite to neutral, drop the kite the opposite direction and try and stay in the same trail that took you to where you are when you stopped, this will give you a good marker as to how to stay up wind. This may take some while to get down but keep at it before you know it you will be ripping back an forth on the same trail and staying up wind.

This will transition into the water also, when you take off in the water go 50 yards and stop, put kite in neutral and then drop it back the other way and you should be able to see a water trail that you made somewhat, try and stay or go back or backtrack on the same trail, easy exercise but very effective. As Jim says this is common with people just starting out, don't give up keep on trying.
Eric P

Post by Eric P »

Try to find a spot with more consistent wind. I've always found it is harder to stay up wind when you keep getting jerked off your edge due to punchy wind. Go to a larger lake (Waconia, Minnetonka, Milly) and you will find going up wind is a breeze. This will also help you to trust the kite and your edge, and give you better confidence in your riding. Small fields are not the best places to try to work on your kiting skills. That would be my guess as to why you were having a hard time, the wind at the place you were kiting was probably total crap. I have not seen a filed around here yet that I would want a beginner to kite in.
Eric
JERRY

Post by JERRY »

Give it up. This kiting thing will change your life............for the better..............and who in the hell wants that :shock:
"The Pessimist complains about the wind; the optomist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." William Arther Ward
markdbliss

Post by markdbliss »

The problem has self corrected itself.

Today I went to Lake Calhoun and realized that I just was working with too little space to be effective. With wide open terrain, there wasn't any issue with cutting and moving upwind.

Thanks for all of the replies and assistance! Newbies like me appreciate the help!