Gopro camera

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

MAXIMILIANO

Gopro camera

Post by MAXIMILIANO »

Santa was VERY generous this year and brought me a Gopro camera... I know a few people in the kite community have one. Any tips on what memory card I should buy 4GB, 8GB, 16GB or 32GB? Another question, I should buy this kit http://kitehero.com/kitehero-mount-package-deal to attach the camera to the kite, board and lines or is there another homemade way to do it?

Thanks in advance!
Tighe

Re: Gopro camera

Post by Tighe »

I'd get as big as you can. Depending upon the resolution you're shooting in, video takes a ton of memory. Then again if you just want to shoot for Youtube deployment you could shoot in a lower resolution and get more onto your card.

Nice little toy. Enjoy.
Tighe
MAXIMILIANO

Post by MAXIMILIANO »

Once again, thanks Tighe! Do you or someone else have any tips for the attachments?

Gracias!
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

The key I have found is to an interesting end result is use as many different angles, or attachmets as possible. There is a line attachment you can get. Will work on T3's but you have to tape the spinner ( to prevent spinning) on other SS kites with the new bar. Barry's shots from Padre look great from the kite. Helmet mounts work well for POV shots. Easy to see what you are filming. The surf or snowboard mounts look cool. Get a few and switch it up.
Tighe
markdbliss

Post by markdbliss »

For most video shooting, 8GB will be enough. However, for a few more dollars, double the capacity and never worry again.

A safe choice would be a 16GB, class 6. What is important is the "Class" of card, .

Class 0 cards do not specify performance, which includes all legacy cards prior to class specifications.
Class 2, 2 MB/s, slowest for SDHC cards.
Class 4, 4 MB/s.
Class 6, 6 MB/s.
Class 10, 10 MB/s.
MAXIMILIANO

Post by MAXIMILIANO »

Guys, thanks again for the tips.
Kelcher

Post by Kelcher »

I'm a bit of a photographer. I just wanted to post even though it's likely you already purchased your equipment. If you go to their website you will find the newest goPro has the following storage stats:

Average recording times (using 32GB SD card):

* 1080p (30 fps): 4h 21m
* 960p (30 fps): 5h 26m
* 720p (60 fps): 4h 21
* 720p (30 fps): 8h 09m
* WVGA (60 fps): 8h 09m

Sounds good! go with 32gb and get 4h 21m... WAIT you will also find:

Power & Battery

* Battery Type: Rechargeable 1100 mAh lithium-ion
* Battery Life: Approx. 2.5 hrs

So... unless you have a backup 1100 mAh lithium-ion in the junk drawer, I'd suggest just getting a 16gb. The card will be 90% when your fresh battery dies. Plus, I'd rather have my footage split across two cards (twice as likely to have one, half as likely to have it sitting in the computer, and half as likely to loose everything). Just food for thought.
Kelcher
Blaine, MN
Level = Rookie
KB Since = Jan 7th 2011
Equip = Slingshot Key HD
>-<0 =|==============D
MAXIMILIANO

Post by MAXIMILIANO »

Thanks Kelcher for the info. I did buy the 16gb. I am going to try the camera this Tuesday at Turtle Lake (Shoreview)

By the way, I live in Mounds View, and see you are new to the kite comunity... since we are close, feel free to give me a call when you want to go kiting. I am always off from work Sun, Mon and Tues.

For our location, these lakes will work best; White Bear Lake, Turtle Lake, Forest Lake and another great lake is Lake George in Andover.

Max
763-381-9826
Kelcher

Post by Kelcher »

Thanks Max... I"ll take you up on that. My equipment is still in transit :( should have some gear late next week. Thanks for the info on the lakes... that really helps!
Kelcher
Blaine, MN
Level = Rookie
KB Since = Jan 7th 2011
Equip = Slingshot Key HD
>-<0 =|==============D