Snow Guess contest

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

scottman

Snow Guess contest

Post by scottman »

When will the twin cities and sorrounding area's get any ridable snow coverage?

My guess is 11-22.

Who ever wins I'll buy them a six pack of whatever kind of beer they choose, hand delivered.
Ric

Re: Snow Guess contest

Post by Ric »

thanksgiving week. 6 to 8 inches.
JERRY

Post by JERRY »

Dec. 4th...hoping for some thick ice on lakes to hold all that snow we're going to get. 8)
"The Pessimist complains about the wind; the optomist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." William Arther Ward
JRN

Post by JRN »

I hope it holds off 'til Christmas. I can't remember that last time I got on my Freakskate! Put me down for Dec. 25th. Can I have Cocoa or Egg Gnog instead served up by Caroline? :mrgreen:
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
JRN

Post by JRN »

I hope it holds off 'til Christmas. I can't remember that last time I got on my Freakskate! Put me down for Dec. 25th. Can I have Cocoa or Egg Gnog instead, served up by Caroline? :mrgreen:
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

I'll put my money on November 23rd.

"ridable" is open for discussion. I've ridden on 4" on a frozen field before. I assume that's all we're talking.
Tighe
paul-b

Post by paul-b »

I'm hoping earlier, but my bet is on Dec. 11. The farmers are grooming the fields for us out here. With the earlier dry spell, they were able to get alot of work done. They should be in much better shape then they were last year.
Ric

Post by Ric »

once we get snow, what fields(places, soccer fields,etce) can we ride on? What about in the NSubs?
I am guessing we will have snow on THANKSGIVING DAY! the 25th. 6 inches+
ric
Jay_M

Post by Jay_M »

I am in for Nov 20th
scottman

Post by scottman »

Few pretty good sized fields out by my place I'll try as soon as there is some white pow, the farmers didn't till it up this year so real smooth grassy bottom to ride on, can't wait!
Rick R

Post by Rick R »

Hmmmmmnn
I am going out on a limb here but I am going to guess Nov...hhmmm Nov 13th. . Hand delivered and I get to choose if I am right. sweet! :D
Rick R
jrjohnson1

Post by jrjohnson1 »

Scottman, those fields didn't get plowed up did they? If not, could you share the location & snow condition please?
scottman

Post by scottman »

There are a couple of fields, one is on the west side of 169 north off of 109th. There is another field right as you are going into Osseo going south, right next to the church on your left. The farmers did not till everything up and it's almost grass smooth. I'm going to wait for the base to build up before I try them, if you really edged you would hit bottom and get stopped.

I will keep everyone posted as I ride some other fields. Just picked up a new RED snowboard helmet at REI for $89.00, pretty nice helmet and really comfy.
jrjohnson1

Post by jrjohnson1 »

Thanks for the information. Saturday I was riding the Kingston Park area in Cottage Grove. The snow cover was good but it was really gusty, especially with the school building to the North. I would guess most of that snow is gone today. Maybe I'll see you out at those fields if we get more snow prior to the lakes freezing.
scottman

Post by scottman »

I will definately get out if there is more snow, but with the temps in the 40's or high 30's we will need another dumping before I get out. Hope to see you out there, where do you live, I'm right in Champlin off elm Creek Parkway about a couple of miles in. I ride Goose lake when it's really windy, I want to try and back pack it out to a couple of larg swamps this year tha are out in three rivers park.
dave12341234

Post by dave12341234 »

I had a nice ride up here in poplar,wi. 5 inches of some kinda wet snow but very smooth ride. Winds were consistent at 25. I don't think the snow we got is going anywhere, now we need some wind!
"You can't buy happiness, but buying a kite is very close"
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

Bryan and I also got a session in Duluth in hermantown... we rode some soccer fields, there was about 12 inches! the wind was kinda gusty but we had fun!
IMG_20101114_130955.jpg
IMG_20101114_130955.jpg (54.99 KiB) Viewed 6816 times
Last edited by Stroh on Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Stroh
jrjohnson1

Post by jrjohnson1 »

Scottman, hiking out to a few large swamps sounds interesting, I'll join you if we get more snow soon. I live on the West side of St. Paul; grab a Twin Cities map and point to the middle - that'll probably be real close to my house.
I've become so obsessed with snowkiting that I quit my cushy office job this year and found a job that allows me to have the winters off; so any day there's wind & snow I'll be out there living it up. I'm going to Haugastol Norway the last 2 weeks of December. If anyone else is interested in going, let me know.
paul-b

Post by paul-b »

Adam and I got out in the field by our house. It was gusty, the snow was heavy, but it was good to work the legs for a little while so we can be ready for the season ahead. I hope we keep this now, it will make a great base.

Paul
ollie

Post by ollie »

Sounds like a great weekend for many of us. After a crappy sat. on the beach at Park Point, (waves were huge) it was a nice relaxing start to the snow season on Sun. with Jon. It's been hard to let the idea of water season go but my numb fingers told me it's time!
Scott, who officially won the beer?
Bryan Z

(cool pic Jon)