Labor Day at Duluth

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Kevinousdigian

Labor Day at Duluth

Post by Kevinousdigian »

Looks like that front is cooperating and speeding up enough so that the forecast from last week will hold for wind and waves on Monday at Duluth. The only place that can out do the Fatherly Friday is a Motherly Monday. I'm going to see if I can go. Who else is going?
Ko
Kevin Ousdigian
Tighe

Re: Labor Day at Duluth

Post by Tighe »

oh YEAH!!!!!

What an end to the most incredible season in memory. YES.....thank you thank you thank you
Tighe
RandyL

Post by RandyL »

See you there around 10:30 :D
ImageLAKAWA /Local Slingshot Team Rider
John Rangel

Post by John Rangel »

Yep, I'm in.
krazykatie

Post by krazykatie »

I'm setting my alarm! I hope the rain holds off!
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider
ryanofiowa

Post by ryanofiowa »

Just moved back from DC to Duluth on F to help my girlfriend with her fall bird migration research up here. Caught the tale end of Father Friday on the way up and am super stoked for motherly monday. Will be there at 10 or 11. Ryan
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

Gale watch has been canceled but small craft advisory is still in effect!

Looks like its going to best later in the day... I think I'm going to hold of on heading to the point till mid afternoon

Jon
Jon Stroh
Denis

Post by Denis »

Nate and I are heading up around 8am with kites and surfboards. Sounds like Eric and Terry are going to be up there too.
(================P-</
Sponsored by Slingshot Kiteboarding
Chip

Post by Chip »

Guys -

This looks to be a once every few years type event. I wouldn't sit this one out if you have a chance to ride it. I would expect the winds on Park Point to probably be running 35 to 40 MPH. Beware that we lost our warm water a few weeks ago. Strong west winds blew all our warm surface water out to sea - no more 70+ surface water to be had. Full wet suit or dry may be in order. Later in the day the better for wind by the sound of it. Check conditions and forcast in the AM before headding up
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

I'm going to be heading up! See you guys there!!
Bryce

Add to google map for MN kiting spots!
Minnesota Kiting Map
dave12341234

Post by dave12341234 »

How was it? I couldn't make it out due to a broken hand :evil:
"You can't buy happiness, but buying a kite is very close"
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

incredible day. Sun for the first half. Waves building throughout the day. Monstrous by the end. Winds in the upper 20s to low 30s. Stroh showed me a secret spot over the dunes. Glassy flat water! Thanks Stroh.

What a gift to have Superior so close.

Great stoke on the water. Everyone was hooting.
Tighe
Hendy

Post by Hendy »

A day my son will never forget, you never forget your first time.
Great job Calvin
Hendy
Chip

Post by Chip »

Great day, but not quite as advertised. The wind was a bit fickle. Man is it blowing now though!
cdelp

Post by cdelp »

Beautiful day. Great to have people to share the passion. Funny how you can tell who is out there just by watching their ride, I could tell Randy was out there by the way he took the wave all the way. Chip, I recognize the bottom of your board because I see it more often than the top.
The wind changed to near side-on for a while, great for getting to the outside. Huge ramps, but today it was more fun jibing on the face of the wave than jumping it for me. Perhaps that's because my last jump resulted in a face plant that, unbeknownst to me, resulted in a booger situation that horrified the onlookers when I pulled up on shore. As I was trying to talk to people they kept looking away until one of the surfers leaned toward me and semi-whispered (loudly, given my gray hair and obvious age) "Dude. Nostril Nugget"
Ah, well.
Randy

Post by Randy »

Chris,
Awesome post! I've had a similar nostril experiences and now my nose plug limits it a bit. Still have images of huge mounds of rolling water in my head and my body still has sensations of moving up and down. Just a couple other images: The EverReady Bunny Rabbit (Tim) was caught sleeping between sessions in his pickup. I suspect he clocks more hours than anyone on these big days. Jonathan broke through to the outside and had that 'born again' grin on his face that brightened everyone's energy. Ron vibrates at a high frequency and works for NOAA, so we've got a friendly 'in' to the weather. I left just when it started sprinkling to some great images of John Leppa and Tim masterfully playing the terrain. Curious to how late these guys stayed out.

The caliber of kiter was astounding, watching some of the biggest air and smoothest riding yet. Stroh and Tighe capture my nod for 'effortless' as they seemed to blend as one with the terrain. Terry gets my nod for best look of joy/exhaustion. Jenny, thanks for documenting these days with your beautiful photography. Given the conditions you show up in, I wonder if your passion exceeds our ours. You're truly inspirational.

Coach, you were in our hearts so deeply through the day.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
RandyL

Post by RandyL »

Spending the last unofficial day of summer at Superior – Priceless
Nice job Calvin, I bet your first day of tenth grade will not be quite as exciting as yesterday.
I wish I felt physically 15, not just mentally. :D
Attachments
IMG_5408.jpg
IMG_5408.jpg (24.65 KiB) Viewed 7247 times
ImageLAKAWA /Local Slingshot Team Rider
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Cal you're a rock star!
Tighe
Kevinousdigian

Post by Kevinousdigian »

I think our weather is out of encores. After a solid 7m day at the Father the only possible way to come close to that was a Superior day. Superior didn't disappoint as the waves are a bigger, faster and foam at the mouth more than ML. All good fun though especially when they land on days when so many people can share the great rides!!
Kevin Ousdigian
smrsco

Post by smrsco »

What an amazing day on Superior! Monday was my first time on the big lake and I never could have imagined it would be as challenging/humbling as it was. It's a whole different beast out there on the great lake. Thanks to all the veterans for the super helpful pointers and encouragement! By my third session I was beginning to feel fairly comfortable out there. Hopefully everything will fall into place once more this fall so I can give Superior another shot.

Scott