Gonig to be in Hood River on Saturday

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

adamel111

Gonig to be in Hood River on Saturday

Post by adamel111 »

Visiting the brother-in-law that lives in Corvallis, OR this weekend (Thursday-Monday). I have talked the family into checking out Hood River one of the days. I am aiming for Saturday because the forecast is looking solid.

Where do you recommend renting gear? Do any of the launch sites have rentals available on-site? I haven't been out there since USWA Nationals in '95 (I was 15 and sailing an IMCO).

Are there any issues I should be aware of with the launch sites? I remember the event site, Rowena, and Doug's beach from 15 years ago... Where do most people sail - I know it is dependent on teh direction. Doug's was more of an advanced spot and Rowena was more intermediate with a nicer launch area if I remember correctly.

Adam
Adam Anderson
JimPat

Re: Gonig to be in Hood River on Saturday

Post by JimPat »

Adam:
Patty and I will be probably at the event site. While the event site is not one of the best windsurfing sites it is the best Kiting launch site. If you are looking for windsurfing gear the Big Winds shop in town is the best(they have a nice parking lot on both sides of the store so you don't have to pay for the on street parking). Most of the better windsurfers go to the hatchery for a variety of reasons(cleaner and stronger winds, nice waves, great swell, smooth/flat water right next to the beach for showing off tricks or gibes). The event site tends to be gusty because of an island just down stream(down wind). There is gear rental down at the event site but I think your selection is way more limited if you are particular about what board and sail you prefer. Give us a call on Sat. morn. to let us know where you plan to sail and if we can't meet up on the water maybe we can meet up for a beer afterwards!
Jimster
Jim & Patty
RV Team Riders
Waconia, SPI, Hood River
952-457-8939
ktrubin

Post by ktrubin »

Big Winds is great service, Windance is good too. Big Winds carries Naish, however, which is why I've been renting from them. I think they carry starboard, Quatro, and JP, too. Windance must to RRD, and I think they Angulo and something else.....Goya maybe. I've been super pumped with Big Winds. They are set up....walk in, they have the wind displayed on their computer, they'll rig your car up with soft rack pads, and get you all set. The gear has always been top notch. The only problem I've had is a broken extension and I had to burrow some stuff from someone on the beach to make it work.

I say go Big Winds. The hatch can be a friggin zoo, and for that reason I usually avoid it. A lot of times I'll sail from the event site and work my way upwind toward the hatch. If you're powered up, it takes me 30 minutes or so. I also like heading east to Dougs in the evening, but lately that has been a zoo too. Arlington is good if it's blowing there.

Have fun, good luck...I love sailing there, but I don't love all the people around, just be prepared for that.
npetrack

Post by npetrack »

I would rent gear from Windance. Dave Nunn takes good care of the renters and I prefer Windance to Big Winds. Recently, I was riding at the Hatchery and an employee in a Big Winds van was extremely rude about tourists coming to the Gorge and stealing their swells. The guy proceeded to complain right in front of several people that tourists were ruining his place. For that reason alone, I would rent from Windance. They are professional and always want you to be on the right gear. Also, they open bright and early and the parking is a none issue. Just my 2 cents
surfalex

Post by surfalex »

I would highly recommend big winds. Just spent 5 days in the gorge last week and I was very impressed by their service and proffesinalism. The kid in the van must be a rare exception, they are all very down to earth warm and accomodating people.
The gorge rocks but wind and conditions can change VERY abruptly just by a few miles. We had one day of glossy water in hood river , then only 5 miles west it was cranking 25+ ( east wind by viento )
Check the link below for a pretty good sailing guide.. Have fun
http://www.rowenashores.com/top20/
adamel111

Post by adamel111 »

The in-laws are a bit slow moving so I'm not going to get to Hood River today. I think we are going to try to get there tomorrow (unfortunately, I don't think there is supposed to be much wind tomorrow).

Anyway, I will definitely check out Big Winds. I'm putting their number in my phone so I can call them for a wind report tomorrow.

Thanks for all the information. Hope to see you on the water.

Adam
Adam Anderson