Give him your thoughts

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Tighe

Give him your thoughts

Post by Tighe »

Mark Kedrowski, one of the founders of Kiteboarding in Minnesota, was involved in a plane crash today. He's in serious condition. Give him your thoughts and prayers please.
Tighe
johnz

Re: Give him your thoughts

Post by johnz »

Wow. Any news about him and his family would really be appreciated.

Hang in there Coach!
John Z
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider
Denis

Post by Denis »

I was just thinking about Coach while riding on Milly today. The conditions this afternoon reminded me of a really memorable session with him a long time ago. It was a strong NW day at Father Hennepin. I was just a newbie and he was out there boosting huge, clocking the most airtime that I had ever seen. I think that he even gave up part of his session that day to rescue another kiter who was fighting the waves after loosing their gear.

Hoping you have a speedy recovery, Coach.

Denis
(================P-</
Sponsored by Slingshot Kiteboarding
steveb

Post by steveb »

The good news is Mark has no internal organ or brain injuries. He is intubated and they say they'll have him in an induced coma for probably two weeks.
He has facial injuries and has had plastic surgury to repair the facial bones and his nose . He has broken many bones in his body. The bad news is they had to amputate his left foot half way up the shin. His right ankle is badly damaged but they are trying to save it. The surgeon said the prognosis is good but they are going to have to take it day by day and make decisions based on what the future brings. The surgeon said their major concern is avoiding infections.
Marks facing more surguries over the next couple of days.He's in Regions Hospital and is going to be there for quite a while.
Obviously Masako is shocked but she seems to be coping very well, please try to send as much positive energy their way as you can over the next couple of weeks.
I'm trying to think of nicer ways to say these things but I can't. Marks tough and fit , I've never seen him back down from anything. I'm sure he'll face this challenge in his usual dynamic way. Think of him and send him your support.
Regional Ozone Team rider
peterrib

Post by peterrib »

Mark's crash strikes too close to home for me. He was flying out of the same place I earned my license at in 1970 and was in a plane I am very familiar with. I have many hours in the same model. He is very lucky to be alive after putting down in a farm field. My thoughts and prayers go out to him. (He's even in the same hospital my daughter inlaw works in.)
Peter
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

Wow, that is some sad news. Our thoughts & prayers go out to Coach & his family.
scottchapman

Post by scottchapman »

I was shocked when I heard his name on the news last night. I had to text Tighe to see if I was right...
Coach sold me my first newer kites. The Naish X3's. Like you said Steve he is a survivor. He survived getting dragged by his ankle half way across Waconia by a kite... My Prayers are with you and your family.
JRN

Post by JRN »

THOUGHTS & PRAYERS TO COACH & HIS FAMILY! Mark is always an inspiration to windsurfers & kiters. He's a "natural" with seemingly in-born instincts to coax every breath of wind power out of a breeze, whether a sailboard, a scow, or kite. A pioneer in kiting locally, he & Tighe sponsored a "kite camp" that got alot of us into kites. He was also a finalist in the Olympic Trials for one-design windsurfing, and won the Mille Lacs crossing multiple consecutive times.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
RobH

Post by RobH »

Wishing a speedy recovery along with everyone else. Thoughts and prayers out to Mark and family
Rob Hyland
Cabrinha Shop Rider / Lakawa Team Rider
RandyL

Post by RandyL »

Hang in there Mark our prayers are with you.
ImageLAKAWA /Local Slingshot Team Rider
Woody

Post by Woody »

Sending you from afar good karma Coach. Heal fast brother...
Woody
Team World - CAN757
Neil Pryde Team Rider
Randy

Post by Randy »

Coach goes for it. I can't get the song "Take it to the LImit" and "Lust for Life" out of my head. And I know he'll push his healing to the limit as well. It's definitely a wake-up call to how precious and fragile life in these bodies can be. A local exceptional writer wrote a book called Waking Up[ His body was severely broken when he was 13 and he now teaches yoga at Courage Center. Anyway, it may be a great read for dealing with some of the pain we're all now facing.

Coach and I practiced Bikram yoga together and he continually left me with images of excellence in all he pursued. He was at our last Ride gig celebrating the expansion of his business in these difficult times and tonight we'll dedicate our gig to his healing. A number of his wind friends are coming out. Kathy Burgess is flying in from Alaska. So if you got some support or need some support, come on by. If any of Mark's family is reading these posts, please know we're here to support you in any way we can. Steve and Nancy, thanks for the courage to be there Friday night. If anyone knows of a site that updates his condition, please share.

I'll never forget a monster day on Lake Superior. The waves were huge and I was survival sailing. Coach took a vertical ten foot ramp and launched with all he had. Upside down, the tip of his mast was still fifteen feet above the water. His high quality of performance was evident in most anything he took on, an inspiration for us all. These next chapters may be the most inspiring. Not many people survive a crash like that to live another day.

Taking nothing for granted. In love and support to you and your family as you move these deep wounds.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
Randy

Post by Randy »

Coach goes for it. I can't get the song "Take it to the LImit" and "Lust for Life" out of my head. And I know he'll push his healing to the limit as well. It's definitely a wake-up call to how precious and fragile life in these bodies can be. A local exceptional writer wrote a book called Waking Up[ His body was severely broken when he was 13 and he now teaches yoga at Courage Center. Anyway, it may be a great read for dealing with some of the pain we're all now facing.

Coach and I practiced Bikram yoga together and he continually left me with images of excellence in all he pursued. He was at our last Ride gig celebrating the expansion of his business in these difficult times and tonight we'll dedicate our gig to his healing. A number of his wind friends are coming out. Kathy Burgess is flying in from Alaska. So if you got some support or need some support, come on by. If any of Mark's family is reading these posts, please know we're here to support you in any way we can. Steve and Nancy, thanks for the courage to be there Friday night. If anyone knows of a site that updates his condition, please share.

I'll never forget a monster day on Lake Superior. The waves were huge and I was survival sailing. Coach took a vertical ten foot ramp and launched with all he had. Upside down, the tip of his mast was still fifteen feet above the water. His high quality of performance was evident in most anything he took on, an inspiration for us all. These next chapters may be the most inspiring. Not many people survive a crash like that to live another day.

Taking nothing for granted. In love and support to you and your family as you move these deep wounds.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

I have had some good experience with this site http://www.caringbridge.org/ which is purpose designed for this exact situation. I guess Coaches wife or family would have to create the account but it really is a nice site designed for people dealing with serious health issues and allows well wishers to interact. Much like this forum but designed specifically for health.

I have visited this thread many times this weekend & it brings tears to my heart to think of what has transpired. Being an aspiring pilot at one time I often thought about how much there is in common between all endeavors that use a "wing" or an airfoil of some sort. The "pull" is there in everyone of those sports, you all know what that "pull" feels like. Randy & Tighe call it the "stoke", but we are all drawn to that wonderful equation that creates "lift".

Coach needs a lift of a different sort now. We all can help. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. The power of prayer can be so positive.
kiteboymn

Post by kiteboymn »

I first met Mark at the original kite freeze and had a ball talking about everything from photography, to boosting. To me, he was like the sun shining through the clouds on a dreary day. Every conversation we shared was fun and full of great info.
As the years went by, he never lost an ounce of his charisma, or sense of humor.

He's a good man in tons of ways and I just know he'll be alright, no matter what's thrown at him.

Hang in there old friend! LOTS! of positive energy coming your way.

Todd
Live Hard!
Lakawa Shop Rider
http://mnkiteboy.com/
JimPat

Post by JimPat »

Mark: Patty and I remember ski racing with you at welch Village a few years back. You were at the top of the ranks in ski racing and considered the man to beat. You always go after everything full bore and don't allow anyone or anything to beat you. Patty and I are praying for you to have a speedy recovery!
Jim & Patty
RV Team Riders
Waconia, SPI, Hood River
952-457-8939
steveb

Post by steveb »

Regional Ozone Team rider
Hank

Post by Hank »

Got the news through the grapevine. :?

Pluto in Capricorn........

These next hours mark the end of
Throwing caution to the wind.
Entertaining possibilities.
Irrational exuberance.
Buying too much.
Aiming too high.
Playing to win.
Extravagance.
Recklessness.
Excess.
Greed.

Peace to all my brothers and sisters!
Geo

Post by Geo »

Coach -

Whether it was on a kite or board or just being there, a lot of people have looked up to you. Best wishes getting through this.
DavidKnight

Post by DavidKnight »

Coach,
Just got back into town to hear this news. Hang in there... you're in a good place, surrounded by capable and caring professionals- Regions is one of the best hospitals around. Keep the positive vibe going...