Awesome weekend!!!

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

djmadmike

Awesome weekend!!!

Post by djmadmike »

Just a shout out to everyone I met up with at Reddy Creek this past Fri and Sat.
Wow. Epic days, esp Friday and soooooo fun.

Great to see everyone again and thanks to all for the kite catches and launches too.

My abs and right hip flexor were a bit sore, but other than that I was good.
Hope to see everyone again soon. Looks like today is epic again, but no getting out of work today for me.

rock on
Mike T Nelson
Mike T. Nelson MS
PhD(c) Exercise Physiology U of MN
http://www.MikeTNelson.com
Athletic Performance and Physique Transformation
Tighe

Re: Awesome weekend!!!

Post by Tighe »

Yeah amazing set of days. Doesn't happen much.

FYI on Saturday we headed over to Malmo when the wind shut down at Reddy. Completely different wind and ride.

Not sure why it does that. At least a half dozen times this year Reddy has been very light and we've been lit at Malmo. It's only 3 miles away! Any theories?

I love the scene at Reddy and on a good SW there is nothing like it.
Tighe
Kevinousdigian

Post by Kevinousdigian »

Reddy was really consistent and strong at sunrise when Nick and I hit the water. Early Saturday was definitetly stronger (upper 20s) than Friday evening which was also great but probably low-mid 20s. We camped next to the lake at Malmo bay and the wind was just howling all night long. I woke up at 5:30 with the adrenaline going.

I miss having that wind meter on Carlsona but it really helped learn the weather patterns on ML. ML often has strong lake effect wind around sundown, into the night, and for a few hours after sunrise when there isn't much wind elsewhere. This happens on all wind directions perhaps most notable on south.

A few possibilities that occur:

A) Lake vs Weather wind: What can happen is the lake effect winds shut down when the temps warm up. Some days the wind stays strong all day because the weather driven wind takes over when the lake wind falls off. These last 4 days the warming of the day increased the winds all over so they became stronger as the day went on. Did others stay at Reddy all day Saturday? If so I'd be curious as to if it stayed lighter there all afternoon or picked up again as the the day went on (like Friday).

B) Cold bubble: When the water is colder I do think there is a more of a bubble over the lake so the warm south winds are stronger higher in the sky. Even though the water isn't cold it is still a lot cooler than the 85-90 land so that could contribute. Because the wind to malmo doesn't have to travel across the whole lake it may be less of an issue.

C) Venturi effect: Wind increases along shores parallel to wind or between points. I notice this at Malmo on many W wind days too - as you go to the north shore by Carlsona the wind is often 5 mph stronger, yesterday at Turtle lake, and at WB you get the similar effect in the gap on S-SE days.

D) Wind shadow: Wind decreases along shores perpendicular to wind. There is no doubt that at Reddy on S wind there is a wind shadow from all the trees and ridge. I've also noticed this at Malmo on W wind days. The wind is a better out further.

I'm glad we enjoyed that awesome consistent wind at Reddy on Friday and early Saturday. Such a nice spot.

Looks like Friday morning will be a great Father Hennepin day as the wind should be mostly NW and I'm predicting in the 20s but chilly relative to the 90s. The 'forecasters' like NOAA aren't predicting it yet but they'll come around. The swell/waves at FH is the best on the lake.
Kevin Ousdigian
RandyL

Post by RandyL »

Kevin has been predicting the wind right on the majority of the summer.
Keep up the good work so I can continue to plan my week around your forecasts. :D
ImageLAKAWA /Local Slingshot Team Rider
Kevinousdigian

Post by Kevinousdigian »

Thanks Randy!

NOAA just upped the forecast to NW 20-30 for Friday whereas this morning their forecast was like 10 mph.

That 10 day MRF is such a gold mine if you study it enough and I agree it's so helpful to know 5-7 days in advance when the wind will be.
KO
Kevin Ousdigian
drknap

Post by drknap »

Kevin
Shorten your posts and maybe I will read one. Who is raising that new baby anyways?

Randy
Plans? what Plans? Do you even work?

Bitter words from a family man who doesn't get to play :cry:

Just kidding guys. I am just jealous. You guys are rocking!
Kurt
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

Hey Kurt is good to have you back on the Lake hope to see you again............alex
Geo

Post by Geo »

KO -

I think that NOAA changed their forecast 'cause they are waiting to see what you are predicting. Maybe there outta be a KO Milly Weather Blog or somesuch.

And who IS watching the kids? I gotta find that post that Dave Zimmerman did last year that described Dave's week vs. Kevin's week. Still laughing about that one.

Now about Friday: Randy when are we going :D ? We'll talk about getting you back to work (on weeHouses), then we'll tune up the surfboards in lieu of golf clubs to do business.
Dave Z

Post by Dave Z »

Yeah...which one of you guys (RandyL, Kevin, JRN, GEO, etc...) does work? Maybe I need to set up a "home" office....

Got to enjoy the wind down at Cannon on Friday - classic SSW on a 4.0 sail so I can't complain.
RandyL

Post by RandyL »

Count me in Geo!
Kurt it's good to see you back out on the lake and posting too :D
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

I was bumming about Friday cause I thought I wouldn't be able to go, then I remembered we have off Friday. PSYCH!. I have to be back for a wedding friday evening but who cares if I stink a bit like Mille Lacs.

Father Hennepin or Malmo. I so want a good day with the rolling buses.
Tighe
Nathan B

Post by Nathan B »

6 days of sickness for me!!! rode at Mille thursday thru monday and rode at Pelican today. (fyi Monday on Mille in garrison was windiest day of them all, Lit on a 8mtr Vapor until noon then lit on a 12mtr Lithium rest of the day. Killer times riding with everyone! great weekend with lots of rides, got some students going, Bob did great he will be riding with you soon macattack :) got to try some new kites, lots of good gear out there now days! Liquid Force Envy is a amazing kite! nothing like a Lithium but nice.... Still need to try your Switchblades Rob and want to try out those PL's they must be good cause Seth's not even flying his ozone's anymore? Tighe, I have been lit at Garrison on a 15 and Dean came from reddy and said it was dead flat, yeah its crazy how mille works she has a mind of her own...... wind only came down for a bit saturday by the time yall got to malmo and pumped up we were lit again all day :D and if you want the big rollers I think the mother might be the call, I think she's gonna turn on soon.

And whoever was teaching for Lakawa at the end of the road on sunday I think I heard it was Robbie?, Take your students up wind and away from shore(buffer zone of three kite lines) and away from the crowds! Board starting your students right on shore and in to the crowd is unacceptable!!!! we already have enough problems at Waconia and WhiteBear don't bring that up to Millie!! kiteboarding is a serious deal to some people like my self have more respect for our sport!!!
Kevinousdigian

Post by Kevinousdigian »

Sure looks big for the Father on Friday.

The vast majority of our year is not windy and I rarely go in the winter so taking a dozen road trips to ML/Superior is only about 3% of days for a year. Even last week when I got out 6 of 8 days I was with my 1 yr old Wed and Thur night, Fri til 2, and Mon after 2 so my wife could get out of the house and enjoy some time away from kids.

Kurt - I'll try to dumb down my posts from now on so even a hospitalist like you can interpret them... (just having fun back with you)! I hope you can get to Father Friday as I still remember that fall day just you and I were there about 3 yrs ago. I think that was a day I committed to learning kiting after seeing how high you were getting and how much fun you had riding on the waves.
Kevin Ousdigian
Mike W

Post by Mike W »

It looks like Fr. Hennepin is the place to be on Friday. I think I can break away.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

super stoked for Friday.

Nate, let's try to keep the direct criticisms off this forum. You've got some good points but they are probably addressed best by contacting the individuals directly. That's the culture of the our community. Helped to resolve a lot of early issues between windsurfers and kiters. Let's be respectful of eachother and especially of eachother's business endeavors. I can tell your intentions are good, let's just find a more respectful way to address this issue.
Tighe
RandyL

Post by RandyL »

Friday is cleared for take off :wink:
My first trip to FH was also with Kurt and I even saw the albino deer.
djmadmike

Post by djmadmike »

Ooooh, I may have to try to keep Friday open now too.

Nate, drop me an email when you have time as I have some ideas for you about some final knee exercise work. I am at
michaelTnelson AT yahoo DOT com

Great to see everyone!
rock on
Mike N
Mike T. Nelson MS
PhD(c) Exercise Physiology U of MN
http://www.MikeTNelson.com
Athletic Performance and Physique Transformation
dtownkiter

Post by dtownkiter »

i have never been so disappointed to go to a bachelor party all weekend. enjoy it everyone!
Kevinousdigian

Post by Kevinousdigian »

Nate- what was with the photo shoot of the SUP on Friday? Are you getting into that? Just doesn't look as fun as kiting but I suppose if the wind is 5 mph its an option.

I think later Monday into early Tuesday will bring NE winds to Superior.

I hope Milly doesn't blow too hard on Friday. I know that sounds wimpy but I've found the sweet spot is 20-30+ at the father. The 30-45 mph days get too choppy. About a month ago I was there in like a 15 mph NW wind and that one sweet spot had bigger swell than malmo or other places on the lake in twice the wind. At those slower wind speeds you can play on the same wave a lot more too.
Kevin Ousdigian
windthrash

Post by windthrash »

:shock: Friday! Will the crowd be at Fr Hennipen or Waconia? I may venture from White Bear for a day :)
Nate Anderson
Agana, Guam