Advice for newbies please

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

WanderingMike

Advice for newbies please

Post by WanderingMike »

Hey everyone, I just moved from Colorado and I'm picking up kiteboarding/Snowkiting since there is nowhere to Snowboard here. I've got a kite coming in the mail and was wondering if anyone knew some good open areas on land to practice the kite before I strap on a board. By good I mean lots of room to run around and away from people. I've already been introduced to the kite, but need to get way more comfortable before I take next steps. I live in St. Louis Park.

Much appreciated. I can't wait to start this new addiction!
JRN

Re: Advice for newbies please

Post by JRN »

TRY KINGSTON PARK in Cottage Grove on weekends. Lots of school kids otherwise. Maybe the soccer fields in Blaine, but ask permission first. Not sure if the Ft. Snelling polo grounds are still an option. We used to fly @ the Buffalo High School yard, again..only on weekends. Good Luck & Welcome! Come ride d'Bear (White Bear Lake) with us this winter.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
NewEthan

Post by NewEthan »

If the wind is blowing in a west dirrection there is a great place off or cr 47 and 494 in Plymouth, prudential building with huge playing fields in the back. That's where I got alot of training time in.
ksalling

Post by ksalling »

Hey Mike where are you in ST Louis Park? I just moved to St Louis Park as well and I am just getting started out. Email or call me if you like.

k#s#a#l#l#i#n#g# at gmail dot com (remove the "#")

five one three - two five seven - nine zero zero six

-Kyle
WanderingMike

Post by WanderingMike »

Thanks for all the responses. I hope to see everyone this winter on the lakes!

Mike
monkey1031

Post by monkey1031 »

Kyle...

It's only been like, three weeks - you're already a wind slave!

The addiction starts hard and fast and only gets worse.

Unlike crack, your family will still talk to you when it's icy claws get into your skin.

-robbie