The Pig Trough

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Pete

The Pig Trough

Post by Pete »

Planning to head to Cannon Friday. Any insight as to how disgusting it might be?
peterrib

Re: The Pig Trough

Post by peterrib »

What makes this lake a pig trough? Weeds? Algae? Polution? What's the attraction?
Peter
Pete

Post by Pete »

Perhaps I am overplaying this. It is a seasonal thing. In the past, have sworn off sailing at Cannon mid summer. Lot's of "reek" at times, a glorious "stench" you could say. Thinking back though, most of this has occured post heavy rain. Anyway, I'll find out myself as that is my destination, Friday anyway.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Well, the water is in bloom but certainly nice to sail in. No stench what so ever! I'll be back!
Chris

Post by Chris »

Re: "What's the attraction."

More stinking wind.

When there's wind to the south and the wind's from the south, you'll be on smaller gear at Cannon. Plus no weeds. Plus nice swell. Plus swell folks.
peterrib

Post by peterrib »

Equal distance for me betwen Milly and Cannon. I'm going to make Cannon my next day trip. Thanks for the feed back.
Peter
JRN

Post by JRN »

LEGEND HAD IT, that the run-off from the surrounding pig-farms contributed to the extra rich algae boom on Cannon. Today it is more likely from the ill-informed lake front owners keeping their grass green with PLENTY of nitrogen rich lawn fertilizer. Years ago when it WAS surrounded by farms, there was no green bloom, according to Pammy, who grew up there.
Last edited by JRN on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

I thought there was pig farms to the south, No? Maybe it was after the stuff was spread on the fields for fertilizer. Didn't think it came from the water itself. Might be wrong.

FYI, Peter
Cannon does have some of the cleanest SW winds and quite frequently it will blow considerably higher south of the cities. The swell is quite sweet, with long troughs (no not pig troughs) running by like cordoroy across the lake. The launch at Cannon is less than ideal though. Park along a road, walk a short distance up a shoreline, to walk out on a small sandbar to drift launch. Not bad and the ride definitely can be worth it. The water definitely gets green mid July and August.
Tighe
Geo

Post by Geo »

That launch from the road on the east side also has old, surly fishermen to deal with. Mike and I were there a few times last year, and despite the fact that we were there well before them one day, and I made my very best attempts to be friendly, they were having none of it. Almost killed the buzz.

One day was nuking, though, and the waves kicked up great in the middle. Remember Mike going off on some 6 second airtime. Definitely worth it.