Newbee success

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Tighe

Newbee success

Post by Tighe »

I've heard a few comments about the amount of new riders up at Malmo lately.. Some of the comments came across almost as complaints. Come on folks.

I think it's great that those taking up the sport are making the trek to Malmo on Mille lacs. Malmo is by far THE BEST, and some might say THE ONLY, spot in MInnesota to work on the basics skills. The hundreds of acres of shallow waters and smooth wind, provides some of the safest learning conditions in the state.

As long as everyone spreads out and ensures that they are at least a few kite line lengths from shore, I think there's plenty of room for riders working on stuff, instructors working with students, as well experienced riders. I think any experienced riders choosing Malmo should take it upon themselves to give extra room and give way to those learning. We have plenty of options, whereas there aren't as many for those learning.

my 2 cents

ride on
Tighe
jeff1

Re: Newbee success

Post by jeff1 »

I agree. I haven't seen a launch yet that more experienced riders couldn't leave a little room for those learning.
DFD TEAM RIDER (team of one) + JRN honorary member
Kosk

Post by Kosk »

Agree completely Tighe. I will also add this, regardless of Newbie or Vet status:

If you are coming in, check and see if someone is currently launching. If they are, take an extra tack out and back to give them time to get out and clear. Remember, this is the most dangerous part of that persons day.

On a couple occasions now this summer, I've been mid-drift launch, with my kite LE down on the water, kite pulling me, board in hand, trying to get the kite off the water and air born when a windsurfer or kiter has converged on me trying to come in. Unknowingly, they've put THEMSELVES in a dangerous position, and put me in an even tougher spot than I already am. I had no way to get the kite and lines up and get myself clear of the launch. 30 more seconds and I'd have been out of there and they would have had a clean run in.

That said, always take an assisted launch over a drift if possible, and don't dally around in the main in-out aisle either. As our community continues to grow, our launches are going to feel smaller and smaller. But I'll take a bit more traffic if it means I have more like-minded individuals sharing the same stoke.
JRN

Post by JRN »

GOOD POINTS, GUYS. I was @ Malmo last Friday. There were 3 or 4 pairs doing lessons.
Even so, there was still PLENTY of room for the rest of us to play. It was good to see 3 or 4 windsurfers out, too. I would encourage all beginners to take advantage of the ideal conditions at Malmo. I got some of my first rides there, and still prefer it to anywhere else.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})