Beginner Teaching on Saturday

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

johntr

Beginner Teaching on Saturday

Post by johntr »

Hi all. There is a beginner I'd like to teach to windsurf and Saturday looks like a possible day. Unfortunately, the West wind predicted is not good for teaching on White Bear, my normal hangout. Where would you recommend going to teach a beginner in a West wind? We're happy to drive an hour or two if it brings us to great conditions.

Thanks!
John
Stroh

Re: Beginner Teaching on Saturday

Post by Stroh »

waconia, washington, or milly will all be good on a west
Jon Stroh
johntr

Re: Beginner Teaching on Saturday

Post by johntr »

I heard a rumor that the Waconia weeds were horrible this year. Would you say that's accurate?

Milly sounds like a fascinating possibility for teaching a beginner, because of the shallow sandy beach. The two concerns I had are:

- I've only ever sailed at Malmo on an onshore breeze. The rollers there would have been horrible for a beginner. Is there a beach that has the huge shallow sand, but smaller waves?
- last time I was there in 15 knots the place was *packed* with kiters, which I think a beginner would find daunting. Are there places where a beginning windsurfer would not be out of place?

Thanks!
John