Where to Camp on Mille?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

mattrau

Where to Camp on Mille?

Post by mattrau »

Hey guys,

I am going to be heading up to mille on June 18th for the entire weekend, and hoping to stay in my tent. I was going to make some reservations at Father Hennipin or the other state park on the lake, but they are booked up. You guys have any idea of a cool spot to stay on the lake?

Matt
Bryce

Re: Where to Camp on Mille?

Post by Bryce »

If you don't mind primitive camping you can stay at wealthwood state forest.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... =UTF8&z=12
Bryce

Add to google map for MN kiting spots!
Minnesota Kiting Map
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Also state forest camping rules

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_forests/camping.html

Dispersed camping- camping outside the designated campsites and campgrounds on state forest land. There are no furnished amenities. These campsites are free and no permit is required. Please practice the “leave no trace” camping and pack out what you packed in.
Bryce

Minnesota Kiting Map
mattrau

Post by mattrau »

Thanks for the advice Bryce! I looked at the DNR's website, and I could not find any parking, do you or anyone else know how the parking works at these state forests? Second, with the dispursed camping, could a guy just bring his tent right down to the water, near the boat launch there?
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

That one link that I put above... you can just drive to it and pitch the tent next to the car. I'm not sure if it would be a problem to pitch a tent in the landing of the wealthwood launch.. I don't know if there is much room and they might have a sign up there.

You can't camp at reddy. I was hanging out there late at before dark and a cop parked and walked down the whole beach. Can't camp at malmo either. Although I have slept in the car once there... Wealthwood is much better then the car.
Bryce

Minnesota Kiting Map
Nathan B

Post by Nathan B »

Barnacles and a few other resorts let you pitch tents for small fee also there's that one place just north of malmo, I think its Pete's Retreat?

Malmo in car or van is legit for 6 hours its also considered a rest stop, no tents.

rumor is that Carlsona is going to rebuild and hopefully be back up and going by october.