Florida kiter on Calhoun

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Chummers

Florida kiter on Calhoun

Post by Chummers »

I wasn't even there to witness this, but heard about another kiter violating the self-imposed ban on kiting on the soft water on city lakes.

I heard that an Asian male about 35-40 yrs old with Florida license plates launched a kite from the north beach at Calhoun on Sat, May 1. I heard that more than one person told him about the ban and he didn't want to hear any of it. I got the impression he didn't understand it was a self-imposed ban and thought it was windsurfers complaining about a kiter on "their turf". In any case, he apparently did not want to hear about any "rules" and implied that he'd be back to do it again.

Just wanted to let everyone know since I did not see a posting about this.
Lee_Uptown

Re: Florida kiter on Calhoun

Post by Lee_Uptown »

I'm asian and 29. I have a MN license plate. Not Eu Han...
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

It's a silly ban, anyway. Kite where you want, any time; just be safe and use good judgement. Too many people around, don't launch, or have someone to assist you. I've seen a lot of " senior " kite instuctor/ " safe-kiters " do some stupid things. I have hurt nobody & never intend to, but the water belongs to everybody. This is my sentiment, until the kite police come shooting at me. Wet suits will get stronger & stronger. I always carry a good blade, just in case somebody tries to punture my bladder. :twisted:
" Real living begins on the far side of despair " _ Jean Paul Sartre
scottman

Post by scottman »

Interesting, let the witch hunt begin.
Dean Rizer

Post by Dean Rizer »

On or about June 1st there will be 3 public beaches open on Calhoun. These are the only shallow spots on the lake. There will be 120 sail boats moored in the NE corner of the lake. On Wednesdays and weekends there are organized CYC sailboat races. There will be numerous rental and privately owned kayaks, canoes, and windsurfers, also using the lake. On any given warm sunny breezy day there will be hundreds of walkers, bladers & bikers, on paths within 3' of the shoreline. It's not about the saftey of the kiter, it's about the saftey of other lake users who haven't a clue as to the dangers of an out of control kite.
There used to be power boat races on Calhoun. Power boats have been banned because spectators were injured. I think the wind sport community is trying to avoid a similar year around total ban.
Medicine Lake & Park 15 min away, Lake george 20 min away, White Bear 35-40 min away, Waconia 40-50 min away.
Lee_Uptown

Post by Lee_Uptown »

Calhoun is a lake for many snowkiters who live in the neighborhood, including me (I live 2 blks from calhoun). A year round ban would not be fair to us due to a preventable accident. Also, it's not wise to convey the message to newbies that it's ok to kite there. In fact, it is NOT suitable for newbies because the conditions are not safe and winds are very unpredictable. I totally agree with Dean... the size of the lake and the busy traffic on Calhoun leaves a kiter very little room for error. Nevertheless, there are numerous lakes that are better AND safer to kite. From my perspective, some of us in the kiting community are just asking people to not kite on ONE lake out of the 20,000 lakes in MN. Is it that difficult to leave that lake alone?

Seamonkey, don't worry I won't touch or land your kite as long as you have that blade on :-P
Paul F

Post by Paul F »

Why not just call it a "warning" instead of a "ban". From a distance it seems kind of weird to ban something so it won't be banned. To me, a ban sounds too confrontational for you laid back kiters.
scottman

Post by scottman »

Come on people lets use our common sense, please don't kite Calhoun, it's just not a summer place to kite. Millacs lake is unreal, if you want a true almost ocean experience in kiting when the wind is up it's the place to be!!!

Kite til it hurts!!!