UofM Kiteboarders

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

bern_rider01

UofM Kiteboarders

Post by bern_rider01 »

I transferred to UofM Twin Cities last year and just recently got into kiteboarding. I have a long wakeboarding history and I am loving the transfer to kite.

Is there a kiteboarding club at UofM? If not, I think we should get something going this semester. Here are some ideas;

[*]We can all meet up on campus and travel out to the spots that are pumping that day (using the carpool lane)!!
[*]We can have events, cookouts, social gatherings, fundraisers, etc., to gain interest in kiteboarding and meet the kite community.
[*]We can be affiliated with the UofM ski/wakeboarding team at first to borrow money or school privileges.
[*]Eventually we could get a budget for demo equipment, to travel to events, and host something of our own.

Let me know if you are a student and want to get something going here at the U. Or if you live near campus and just want to start carpooling to the lake.

Feel free to email or call!

Chris Boyle
boyl0101@gmail.com
C: (608) 206-7502
Last edited by bern_rider01 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stroh

Re: UofM Kiteboarders

Post by Stroh »

I am a student at the U... but it's the one in duluth! UMD does have a kite program through the RSOP department. I don't think it's the kind of thing you are talking about, but may help you to start something...
http://www.d.umn.edu/recreation/(RSOP%2 ... rf_&_Kite/

Jon
Jon Stroh
Lee_Uptown

Post by Lee_Uptown »

Nice! I'm a grad student at the U! that sounds killer to carpool and get stuff started... My ACL should be all good by the end of May to kite, can't wait to start riding again.
Quite unfortunately there is no Kitesurf club at the U, mainly because there aren't many kiters going to school. As far as I know, think it's just Denis (grad student), Marc Riedel (Professor), you, some other graduate student and myself... (and Stroh at UMD). Denis and I have lunch once a couple times a month, maybe you can join us sometime. See ya Chris!

Call me@ 612 232 2660
or email: leexx638@umn.edu
johntr

Post by johntr »

I didn't know Marc Riedel was a kite boarder! I'm John Riedl, also a prof .. but I'm a windsurfer, not a kite boarder. I've met Marc just a couple of times, but we're actually in the same building (EE/CS).

Best,
John
Lee_Uptown

Post by Lee_Uptown »

Ha! Small world... I'm right across you Riedels, I'm in MCB (Mol. Cell. Biology). It's that building with the HORRIFIC Molecule sculpture/pathetic art piece in front of it. Nice to know that there are more geeky/nerdy wind junkies!

Eu Han
Prof Marc

Post by Prof Marc »

Hi John,

Indeed we used to get each other's mail (this hasn't happened in a while). Do you know Heiko Jacobs in the ECE Department? He's a very competent windsurfer.

I used to windsurf, but like everyone who tries kitesurfing, I've never gone back.

A UMN kitesurfing/windsurfing club is a great idea!

--Marc
wings

Post by wings »

Hey all,

I'm just finishing up my undergrad this summer. I'll be working for another year at the U before grad school.

If something comes of it, I'd be happy to help out with a club or carpooling...
Isaac
bern_rider01

Post by bern_rider01 »

I’m stoked to see lots of interest in UofM kite/surf club. It is also quite amusing that a lot of us spend our time on campus in EE/CSi. I am in 2-160 everyday with the new student group Innovative Engineers.
http://www.innovativeengineers.us

Anyway, I think we should start an email list to communicate, once we are all in the loop we can setup a first meeting, to organize rides, meeting points, and logistics of a group. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Email boyl0101@gmail.com if interested in getting on the UofM kite list. Let’s get something going, I’m excited to network and to get out on the lake.

Regards,
Chris Boyle
Denis

Post by Denis »

Go UMN Windsurf/Kiteboard! Yeah, it's funny that all the boardheads are around the same department. If you hang around the EE/CS building, I'm the CS grad student with a Slingshot hoodie on. I saw a car in the parking lot with a Slingshot sticker on it. Was that you? It was a beige Nissa Maxima I think.

Denis
(================P-</
Sponsored by Slingshot Kiteboarding
MK

Post by MK »

Looks like I need to get some LAKAWA stickers out to you all :)

I'm interested in the development of this as well. Please keep me in the loop.
bern_rider01

Post by bern_rider01 »

Mike, LAKAWA stickers would be rad. I'm thinking about setting up a cookout out soon to kickoff the spring season and try to get some UMN kiteboarders together. Would you want to join?
MK

Post by MK »

Sure! Keep me posted, thanks.
bern_rider01

Post by bern_rider01 »

Hey guys,

Looks like today is going to be pumping, to bad I have tests, hw, and projects.... thanks college!!!! but this weekend I think we should get together. Looks like Saturday there might be some decent wind, does anyone want to meet up, roadtrip it to wherever there is wind, if there something going on with lakawa, we should meet up with them. If there is no wind I can get out the winch and we can have some fun on my wackyboard. Let me know... im up for anything, camping at mille lacs, going to Duluth, what do ya'll think??

R/
Chris Boyle
C: (608) 206-7502
bern_rider01

Post by bern_rider01 »

~The UofM kiteboarding club had its first session together today at Millacs, and it was pumping... Some of us out for the first time of the season, and some first time transferring it to the water... none the less we were ripping in some high winds. It was a great trip, thanks Marc, Brady, Peter, and George! The bern van will be back with more redbull and all uofm kiters are welcome.

Cheers

Chris Boyle
boyl0101@gmail.com
http://www.bernunlimited.com
bern_rider01

Post by bern_rider01 »

We are heading out again, its sunny, the winds up, cant ask for much more. Brady and I will probably go to Waconia. Anyone headed that way that wants to car pool from campus? 6082067502

chris boyle
http://www.bernunlimited.com
bern_rider01

Post by bern_rider01 »

I will be heading to Waconia for anyone that wants to get a session in this afternoon and wants to car pool in the bern van! I will be meeting marc out there and im sure there will be lots of people enjoying this big breeze. Let me know I will be leaving campus around 3pm. The number is (608) 206-7502.

Chris Boyle
bern_rider01

Post by bern_rider01 »

Finals week is stressful but looking foward to this summer and kiteboarding makes is bearable. Depending on the wind forecast is anyone up for a kite trip the weekend after finals? Road trip in the bern van, camp, and kite for the weekend!? Hopefully I'll have a working kite by then! Has anyone heard of lake wazee in Wisconsin, I wonder if there is good wind there?? It would be an epic spot for photos and h2o activities!

R/
chris
mdh01

Post by mdh01 »

Lake Wazee - been there many times, but not to kite. It's a destination for scuba divers! It's an old strip mine operation that filled in when the water pumps shut down. Ideal for scuba divers due to the clear spring fed water and depth - bottoms out around 300+ feet deep.

From what I recall, there wasn't much for good beach access to launch from, and the lake has little or no shallows. Kind of sits down out of the wind too. The lake drops off quickly just a few feet from shore, so launching a kite could be difficult.

Another option that offers great kiting is Lake Petenwell, which is a little further drive, but has everything you need for kiting - shallows, flats, shore to launch from in all wind directions...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 84277&z=10

Mark
Prof Marc

Post by Prof Marc »

Chris,

I can head out just for the day on Friday or Saturday, but not for a multiday trip.

Looks like great wind is on its way earlier in the week. I have to work on Monday, but I'm thinking of heading up to Mille Lacs on Tuesday. With a NE wind, it seems that Rum River on the SW side of the lake is the place to go.

I'm definitely bringing my drysuit this time.

--Marc

P.S. Just go back from skiing. The snow is amazing out west.
wings

Post by wings »

Hey all,

Lake Wazee is my old stomping grounds; I got the itch one day and did launch there. Although the best wind direction for the lake, the wind was pretty nasty (gusting from ~10 – 20 mph pretty quickly). I predicted it but the water is ridiculously nice and I couldn't resist. I'd side with Marc and recommend avoiding the lake for kiting...

I'd normally be game for a camping/kiting trip, but I've got to head home (near lacrosse) for the weekend. If ya'll end up in Wiscony, let me know and I'll head over to join you...

Isaac