The keys deliver the goods again

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

jeffwieb

The keys deliver the goods again

Post by jeffwieb »

On the road back from the keys. Great trip! Road 5 of 7 days with great wind, warm temps and azure colored Seas. Now 28 hour road trip
scottman

Re: The keys deliver the goods again

Post by scottman »

Wheer did you stay and where did you kite?
mdh01

Post by mdh01 »

Cool! I'm interested in hearing more too. I have a work meeting in Miami June 7 and could take a few days off to enjoy the Keys. Not sure there is much for wind in June though...

Mark
JRN

Post by JRN »

now THAT is using your dipsick, Jeffy! :mrgreen:
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
scottman

Post by scottman »

I'll be down to the Keys on 5-28 through 6-6, we will be at mile marker 14.5 at the blue water keys resort, can't wait! I have been researching the keys for kiting and will probably just go to 7 sports or something like that to find out the best places to kite, I don't want to step on anyones toes down there either and possibly ruin a kiting spot.
mdh01

Post by mdh01 »

Cool. Post some notes if you can while there. If the kiting doesn't look worthwhile, I'll skip the extra baggage!

Mark
jeffwieb

Post by jeffwieb »

It's very worthwhile. The spots we kited were whale harbor at mile 83, annes beach at mile 73, smathers beach key west, and Miami beach. All of them are great flatwater except for Miami which offers great waves. We camped out at fiesta key resort at milemarker 70 and actually kited there once too. Seven sports is a good resource down there, very friendly and can give you insight on what's goin on for what wind direction. You wouldn't be thinkin with your dipstick if you left your gear behind. Let me know how it gos. Peace
scottman

Post by scottman »

I emailed 7 sports asking if they could point me in the right direction as to where to kite and gave them the location I was going to be at mile marker 14.5 and they gave me a less than warm response by telling me in a one line sentence to check our website and gave no further feedback. You would have thought they would have been a little more customer friendly and just told me a few spots in my area but didn't even bother, I won't be visiting them while I'm down there, it's too bad really. It would be like us here in Minnesota just telling a new kiter to the community to just check out te website and your on your own. The more of this I run into the more it distances me from the sport or hobby or whatever you want to call it. Sorry to rant, once again I'm just disgusted with the customer service level of some companies and organizations to an already struggling water sport.
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

You were probably talking to some kid who was working & would rather be out kiting. Go to Whale Harbor in Isla Morada, Long Key State Park, Anne's Beach, and Smathers at Key West for starters. If you want it, you will get it. Lots of beach, aqua-marine warm water, fried conch, easy peel steamed shrimp, more variety of tropical plants than Padre, and skunk apes. If you want waves, head to Miami or just south of Miami. I like it just as much as Hood River for the scenery. I don't think you will be disappointed, unless you ran into me down there!
" Real living begins on the far side of despair " _ Jean Paul Sartre