Moving from Maui to the Twin Cities.

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

kevin261

Moving from Maui to the Twin Cities.

Post by kevin261 »

Hi New to this forum.

My and my wife are moving from Maui to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area this fall. I was looking for some insight on on the area, and thought fellow kiter's would be a better resource than most. I worked in the ski/kayak industry for over 10 years (last three as an owner operator) before moving to Maui and managing a store for a large surf apparel company. My wife is a yoga teacher and massage therapist. We are looking for some insight into the job market, best place to live i.e. city or the burbs
cost of living (Maui is ridiculously high), Kite boarding, and just any other helpful information.
We are not crazy and yes we do know how cold it gets as I was born and raised in Fargo, but have not lived in that area since "88" It just has gotten way to expensive to live on this Island.

Mahalo
P.S. If anyone is coming to Maui this summer PM me and we can show you some Island hospitality.
JRN

Re: Moving from Maui to the Twin Cities.

Post by JRN »

LOOK IN THE YELLOW PAGES UNDER, "PSYCHIATRISTS." This is a great site for getting in on the local kiting scene. Welcome! Lots of kiting opportunities here when the wind blows. Click on the LAKES section to find the local kite launches. Buy a drysuit for riding Lake Superior waves. It ain't JAWS but it's the best we got! Post again when you arrive, and what area of town you're in & I'm sure we can advise from there! I live in the East 'burbs. We'd be happy to have you in White Bear, Stillwater, Forest Lake, or even Lake Elmo. The job maket is currently luke warm, but you'll never find a better time to find some real deals on real estate! I guess I'd recommend renting in the Uptown area at first, sample the local scene with lots of hip eateries, great parks, and scenery. Get a feel for the area, and explore from there. We love it here! Steve & Tighe are great resources, & the local kiters can't be bested for riding buddies, and a network of friends.
Last edited by JRN on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
steveb

Post by steveb »

Kayak Stores. Midwest Mountaineering. Above the falls sports. Ski Hut.Hoigaards.REI
Ski...The House, Ski Hut, Joes Sporting goods, Hi Tempo. Summit Boardshop, The Alt ( boards ) Hoigaards, REI.
Manufacturers. Winona Canoe ( current Designs) Bell Canoe. Granite Gear. Cooke Custom Sewing, Bending Branches Paddles, Novorca Paddles. Duluth Pac. Steiger Mucluks. Vasque Boots (Redwing Shoes, pres is a kiter )
I'm sure there's some I've missed.

I hope you like it here.
Regional Ozone Team rider
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

I love the area. The seasons are incredible. Hot summers, vivid springs, colorful crisp falls, and severe winters. The weather changes daily so each day is a surprise and the variety keeps the weather fresh in perspective. The land has a lot to offer, just not a lot of topography. There are great plains to the SW, great mixed forests in the SE, large pine forests to the north, great river gorges, great streams for fly fishing, AND 10,000 lakes. In the spring the kayaking can be great up and around Lake Superior. There are a lot of great rock climbing options. Decent mountain biking, thousands of miles of Rails to Trails bike paths across the state, incredible canoeing in the Boundary Waters, I could go on and on.
The kiteboarding is going to be different for you but still quite good. Our winds are not as consistent as you're probably used to so to get the most out of it you need to be flexible...flexible enough to drop everything and run to the lake when the wind blows. There are some pretty good options within an hour of the cities, and within two hours there is some amazing options. Mille Lacs to the North offers clean water and smooth winds. Lake Superior while cold, offers some great wave riding though it is rare to get true side on conditions as the waves are usually wind driven. Lake Pepin can offer Gorge like conditions if the winds line up correctly. Only July and August offer riding in your boardshorts only. You will be buying neoprene to ride here. In the winter, a lot more options become available. We have the largest snowkite community in the US here in Minnesota. Any field or lake works.
We have a great riding community. Lots of stoke and support. We self police ourselves and have not formally organized though that may change. Most issues that come up are addressed on this and other sites (eg. mnadventure.com) in the area.
The Twin cities have quite a variety of sub communities to live in. Young hip and trendy, family oriented, convenience oriented, etc etc. Really depends upon what you are looking for. SW Minneapolis and St. Paul have some great older neighborhoods with homes full of character. As you extend out you get larger yards, newer homes and different shopping options. Living on the west side, or the NE side gets you closer to riding options.
A Realtor can help you find an neighbor hood that fits your needs. If you want a Realtor that is also a kiter, I know of at least three: Scott Chapman (Scottchapman@edinarealty.com), Randy Lindorff (randyl@sbsmn.com), myself (tighebelden@bjorklundrealty.com). Scott sells throughout the twin cities, I think Randy focuses on St. Paul and White Bear Lake Area, and I focus on older period homes mainly in the S Minneapolis and St. Paul area.

I've lived in many areas and really like the people of Minnesota. Pretty genuine and good hearted. Most are quite giving. Just be sure to give yourself at least an hour to leave any gathering...Minnesota goodbyes can last days.

I hope you enjoy it. Welcome
Tighe
Chris

Post by Chris »

I'm moving to Maui. I'm taking my gear and my dog. You can have everything else. Don't tell my wife.