Lunacy size

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

tumblemonster

Lunacy size

Post by tumblemonster »

I'm getting a Lunacy this spring, I'm 170-175 and 5'8", is 132 the right size? I don't really want to go bigger if I don't have to, I have a SX 136 already, I want a lighter smaller board to work on my unhooked. SX is way too heavy.
Tighe

Re: Lunacy size

Post by Tighe »

I am 195 and I ride the 132 80% of the time. It's amazing how much range that board has. You probably could go to the 129 as well, and it would be positioned better with the SX, though I think you'll get more use out of the 132.

You're gonna love that board.
Tighe
johnz

Post by johnz »

I agree with Tighe... I'm 210 lbs and the 135 is fine for me - very good range and easy to handle even in higher winds.
John Z
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider
tumblemonster

Post by tumblemonster »

I hadn't considered that I could choose the 129 instead. That might be the way to go, if there's not enough wind for it go up to the SX. Conundrum... How much range do I lose with the 129? I can't imagine it's too much, it's 3 cm shorter and 2 narrower. Can I assume that I should be able to hold down a bigger kite with a smaller board, or is that only true back in the C-kites? I fly revs right now.
Eric P

Post by Eric P »

You could always just go with the 132, sell the old SX to a beginner who needs it, and then get a good light wind board if that is what you are into. I've found that a larger strapless skim board is much more fun in the light stuff, and I would guess that if you have a 13M or 15M rev, and like to fly fast, you will have no problem going up wind in a consistent 12 MPH with the 132. You probably can't even do that now with your old SX is my guess. The Lunacy is a surprisingly great board for lighter wind, especially if you ride fast. To go lower than 12 MPH takes a pretty specialized board.
Eric
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

I use to be the weird one but it sounds like these guys are starting to ride smaller boards.... the biggest board I own right now is a 129x38... (aside from the surfboard) I weigh 180lbs and my biggest kite is a 14... I think I need about 12-14mph before I start having fun.

I say the perfect size board for me is 130x40 as long as it is fairly flat and fast I can get out on it from 10-40 with 2 kites...

I think it also has alot to do with how you ride. If I am just mowing the lawn a bigger board might be better but I try to rip while I'm out...
I only use a small chunk of the thing as it is :lol:
P9152763-1.jpg
P9152763-1.jpg (169.35 KiB) Viewed 6586 times
That Lunacy looks like a sweet ride and I'm sure you will be happy with either one.

Jon
Jon Stroh
JRN

Post by JRN »

JON, What board is in the pic? That looks like a Best Bar, but I count 5 lines. Do you remember what you were flying that day? I'm about to upgrade to the SS direct drive bars, so I've got the safety attachment and the de-power below the bar. I just wish they would start using color coded lines, especially on the snow. Have fun riding Lady Superior!
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
wings

Post by wings »

I just put an '08 129 in the classifieds...
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

The board is a 2004 or 2005 Nobile Dariz... picked it up last winter for $75, and was probably the best purchase I ever made! the board has Carbon rails and airex core... super light, fast, and poppy!!

Good catch on the c-kite action... i must have been on my 14 wipika wip probably the only day I flew that kite last season! and that would be a flexifoil bar.

Jon
Jon Stroh
Denis

Post by Denis »

I'm about 170 and I ride an '09 132 Lunacy. If you're planning to go more towards unhooked tricks, it's definitely a good board. It's stiff, so it gives great pop off of the water but the trade off is that it is a little chattery on the chop. It just wants to bounce off the little waves.

Having a bigger board will also provide more lift on the pop for more air time. The greater surface area is also better for lower winds, but I'm not sure if 3cm is going to make that much of a difference.

Going smaller, the board would be a tad more maneuverable, but I don't mind giving that up for better pop, and ability to ride in lower winds.
(================P-</
Sponsored by Slingshot Kiteboarding
tumblemonster

Post by tumblemonster »

Yeah at 12mph on my 15 rev with the SX I'm struggling to stay upwind, much less jump and roll and whatnot. 12mph is when I usually move to the surfboard if it's around.

As far as riding style, I tend to ride short aggressive sessions and would like to spend more time on my unhooked, hence the switch to a much lighter freestyle board. I have experienced the straighter rail's better ability to edge and charge upwind, so I'm looking forward to that as well. I'm stuck in Minnesota for the foreseeable future, so I'm basing my choice on that too a bit. Still hard to differentiate. 129 or 132? I'm leaning toward the smaller for no other reason than, well, it's a bit smaller. I've ridden a couple really square boards that were too wide and kindof annoyed me. Might also motivate me to keep my weight down :lol: Denis makes a good point about the pop and the lower winds. I don't think I can really compare size wise between my SX and a lunacy, the shapes are completely different (and the wood core on the SX is a BRICK).

I appreciate all of your opinions and experience, if you have more, please continue! I have another Month to decide, Padre is calling me in April...
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

I am about 170 and ride the 129 lunacy. I think you'd be OK with either the 129 or 132. Know what I know now, I would tend to go for the 132. I've rode denis's board and that one seems to be a slightly better fit for me.
Bryce

Add to google map for MN kiting spots!
Minnesota Kiting Map
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

I hate to add to the confusion but I've heard the Darkside is everything the Lunacy is and more. Give Chris a shout at the Riders Service Hotline for more info. I have no experience with the board but have been hearing good things.
Tighe
tumblemonster

Post by tumblemonster »

Interesting... Darkside is a 138, I assume a bit longer to accommodate it's rail riding aim. I think I'll aim for smaller. Leaning at the 132 this hour...
RandyL

Post by RandyL »

I think Tighe meant to say Darko, not Darkside.
I'm not sure what they are selling for at Scuba Center and Midwest but this price was direct from Slingshots website.
I also have a Lunacy 132 and I have to agree with all of the above posts, the range is unbelievable.
Attachments
Darko.JPG
Darko.JPG (72.36 KiB) Viewed 6426 times
ImageLAKAWA /Local Slingshot Team Rider
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

oops, yeah my bad. I meant to say the Darko. Similar sizes as the Lunacy, widths differ a bit. A little less money than the Lunacy, and their new adjustable footstrap system allowing fine tuning of your stance (which is a bit limited on the Lunacy) It's a new board this year.
Can't go wrong with the Lunacy though. I never thought I'd ride a 132 as my main board, but I was wrong.
Tighe
scottman

Post by scottman »

I have two main boards now, I'm 215lbs and ride a Crazyfly raptor pro 137cm, probably the very best board I have ever ridden, and for me that's really saying a lot, I have owned quite a few boards, Raptor is light and very manuverable and the pop is unreal! I usually fly large kites to so it's a little different for me, I'm always really juiced on a big kite, nothing like having the power whenever you need it. Funny how riding styles really dictate what size kite and board you use. I alos have a 154 Spleen Door, I can ride that darn thing in 7 mph wind with my 15m Ozone and still have a little fun but whene the wind picks up it's a chore some times, some people like light wind riding and then there are people who just won't get out until it's at there perfect speed, which I think is funny, I get out and ride anytime I can, it keeps the skills of light wind and high wind riding in check.