lake calhoun kite size?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

adamrod

lake calhoun kite size?

Post by adamrod »

I grew up in MN (Rochester), and will be spending a weekend in the twin cities, about a block away from Lake Calhoun, any word on average kite sizes this time of year on Lake Calhoun?

what sensor/forecast do you use?

Been kiting for a solid 9 years in San Francisco, mostly water but spent some time at Skyline earlier this year too....it'd be cool to meet some of the local crew.
Tighe

Re: lake calhoun kite size?

Post by Tighe »

The rule in Minnesota is bring everything. The big kites get used more than the small. Find the biggest lake you can to get the cleanest wind.

While Calhoun is extremely convenient it doesn't always provide the best conditions. If you have transportation, I'd head to WBL, Minnetonka, or Waconia all within 30-40min and you'll typically find much better snow/surface conditions and far less gusty wind.

hope that helps.

Check back here when you are in town and see where others are heading. Wind direction can also indicate lakes that are preferable.

Feel free to give me a call when you're in the area.. 651 dot 428 dot 4121
Tighe
torisspacedog

Post by torisspacedog »

adamrod wrote:I grew up in MN (Rochester), and will be spending a weekend in the twin cities, about a block away from Lake Calhoun, any word on average kite sizes this time of year on Lake Calhoun?

what sensor/forecast do you use?

Been kiting for a solid 9 years in San Francisco, mostly water but spent some time at Skyline earlier this year too....it'd be cool to meet some of the local crew.
Calhoun is convenient if you live nearby and just have a limited amount of time. Take Tighe up on his offer and get a hold of him He'll get ya to the right place and wherever you wind up there will be a great bunch of people to kite with. Personally I ignore forecasts unless going to Millacs or Duluth I'm Just always looking at what the flags are doing. Hope to see ya out there. Mark L
adamrod

Post by adamrod »

awesome. as I'm only there for a short time (and not solely devoted to kiting), I might just bring my 11m and hope for the best...

any suggestions on applicable forecast links?

It'll be fun to ride with the MN crew again, and if any of you are in the SF area this summer, send me a message!
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Scan the forecasts in the Wind page. The Graphs are fairly accurate. I like the NOAA ADDS. The MRF 10 day does a decent job though it's just isobars.

Hopefully you'll be able to ride when here.
Tighe