Wed/thursday garage cleaning

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Tighe

Wed/thursday garage cleaning

Post by Tighe »

looks like the garage is going to need some attention Weds or Thursday.

fingers crossed.
Tighe
monkey1031

Re: Wed/thursday garage cleaning

Post by monkey1031 »

I'm starting on mine tomorrow....

Hopefully.

-smd7

Edited to add: Yup. Starting tomorrow. Once again, the 20.5 is going to show her stuff....
MK

Post by MK »

I need to see this Machine in action.

Today may yield some entertainment but tomorrow will for sure. We'll have some students out so feel free to do a fly-by.

Not sure on location just yet and can be persuaded.
monkey1031

Post by monkey1031 »

We were on Wac on monday, the snow near the landing (S.E.) was crappola. Rutted out by cars and sleds. I never went out too far though, cuz I didn't want to deal with a lull and a walk.

Swede's snow has been the best so far,
Haven't been on Tonka since before the storm,
Don't care where we go
Just take me with you...
-(Prince lyrics revised)

Whatever, I just want good snow, clean fetch and few ruts. I'd hit W.B. but I REALLY hate to drive across the metro during rush hour.

You've got my number. Shout if you want. I'll probably hit Swede on Thursday if the wind direction is on the money.

Has anyone checked out the road to the Island yet???? I miss that joint.

-smd7
tom_latcham

Post by tom_latcham »

Peter Hill and I went out to kite island yesterday and set up the green house warming house. It was an all day project. The last big wind last spring blew it over and knocked all the plexiglass out of the frame. So we heated it up in my garage and glued the panes into the frame then let that bake while we went out to the island and set up the frame. That was fun finding the buried timbers and chisling them out of the frozen ground. After setting up the base we returned and picked up the dome and installed it on the base. Now that our warming house is set up, all we need is wind and some fresh snow. Driving to the island is now possible even with just two wheel drive. We drove on and off from County road 15 just west of fox street and from the beach in Wayzata near North coast and the sail boat marina. They are very rutted up from traffic. But you can drive around the big ruts and onto the lake. Like Waconia, the ruts are not bad once you fan out from the landing. On the North coast beach access hug the shore to the right and you can avoid the ruts. The slush lakes are now froze. Kite island into Wayzata bay has very nice snow right now. We just need wind. Beyond Kite island into main upper. The slush lakes were deeper sometimes leaving little snow left when they froze. However it is a nice base and with an inch or two of fresh and it will be sweet. Snow tonight, wind tommorow. Things are looking good. Peter is going to set up the gas grill again for cooking food. We are looking for a good deal on a propane heater for the dome for colder cloudy days when the solar effect does not work. Or if some one wants to donate a heater to the cause. Just remember the heater got stolen last year. Kite island is open when nature gives us wind.
TL
Elkman

Post by Elkman »

I'm pretty sure I won't be able to take the day off tomorrow, but I'm going to write in a lunch-hour appointment to see someone named "Windy" in Waconia. :)

Or will my coworkers notice if I come back all cold and snowy?
Todd Murray
Bloomington, MN
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

Thanks for the hard work Tom & Peter. I'll see you out there soon.
scottchapman

Post by scottchapman »

Sweet guys. Thanks... I am looking forward to getting out to Kite Island tomorrow. Looks like wind for sure, but snow might be light... Think moist thoughts...(water for snow.....) hope for a shift in moisture over night!!! 8)
monkey1031

Post by monkey1031 »

Does my spidey sense feel a kite island rage out session tomorrow?

-smd7
BSMITH

Post by BSMITH »

Sweeeet. I have a wood burning heater Pete can have.
Otherwise, this dude in Monticello sells cheap ones on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nu-Way-Ice-Fish-Hou ... 4a9d885fe3
Elkman

Post by Elkman »

I'll tell the guys at work that I'm meeting a few friends in Wayzata for lunch. It turns out that Kite Island is closer to my office than Waconia, and Wayzata seems like a less suspicious location.

Actually, it probably wouldn't matter all that much if I took a lunch hour to go kiting. One of my coworkers went cross-country skiing on his lunch hour today. Of course, snowkiting is just a little more dangerous than cross-country skiing...
Todd Murray
Bloomington, MN
peterrib

Post by peterrib »

Looks like I'll have to clean my garage right off the end of my driveway. It's overdue!
Peter
dave12341234

Post by dave12341234 »

Just say your Cross-Country Snowboarding :)
"You can't buy happiness, but buying a kite is very close"
monkey1031

Post by monkey1031 »

eta - 11:00 a.m.
Edited to add: The island is calling...
-smd7
Last edited by monkey1031 on Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

Dave, you should try to make it up to rice lake tomorow... Jeff and I are planning to head up there around 11:00 and riding till dark.

Jon
Jon Stroh
MK

Post by MK »

Great work Tom and Hill!!

I'd like to use it and will donate to the cause. I hate to throw $ at heater if it walks off....

I recall it be nice during the day and for getting out of the wind. The solar panels definetly created some comfort. At night or poor sunny conditions is another story.

Let me know how to support.
Elkman

Post by Elkman »

Well, I was out there this afternoon, taking an extended lunch hour. That had to be some of the most squirrely wind I've been in -- gusting up one minute, then dying the next. That's why I packed up my kite and headed back after the kite inverted and I got the lines all screwed up.

Before the next session, I'm going to take my skiboards (those short skis) down to the basement and sharpen them so they can actually dig into the ice instead of skidding across it.
Todd Murray
Bloomington, MN
peterrib

Post by peterrib »

Had 2 great sessions on Ripley flying a 9m foil, one am and one in the afternoon 'til dark. Lake is getting crusty but still some drifts to play in. Wind got abit light for a 9 by dark but I'd had all my legs could take for the day. Looks like tomorrow am might be fair for wind and cold enough to keep me moving.
Peter
scottchapman

Post by scottchapman »

Well....It was make your own road on and off the lake yesterday. 4 wheel helped...We need some more snow on the main lake. But Tom and I cruised over to the West side of Big Island and found some nice snow for our first session. It was a fast down winder across icy patches to get there and back...but worth the truck to get there. On the second session before sunset some of the snow was blown from that area. So I just kept going into Lafayette Bay and found great snow :lol: and wicked speed runs for the NNW winds....It was great to drive out and set up new to the SUV and put the boots on in the toasty Green Solar Gas Heated Hut...or GSGHH....Pray for more snow... :?