Where to go Sunday

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

BSMITH

Where to go Sunday

Post by BSMITH »

Anyone been out to Wacky? I'm thinking wacky or Deephaven. It's nice to set up behind the sailing school island at the mouth of Saint Louis Bay.
Matixsnow

Re: Where to go Sunday

Post by Matixsnow »

Lake Minnetonkta was good on Xmas eve. Any wind buffed bays...have not checked any lakes since the rain event.
Elkman

Post by Elkman »

Yeah, I was wondering what the snow/rain/slush event was going to do to the lakes. I wasn't sure if it would be like trying to ski through a pile of mashed potatoes or freshly poured concrete, or if the surface would eventually turn into something reasonably solid.

I'm up for either Waconia or Minnetonka, depending on whichever one has better conditions.
Todd Murray
Bloomington, MN
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Looks like the farther west you go the better the wind. I think the surface conditions should be pretty good in untracked areas. Areas that were tracked up by cars, 4 wheelers, etc will be pretty rough.
Waconia? Washington? Tonka?
Tighe
JERRY

Post by JERRY »

Rick & I will be riding Ripley in Litchfield with Peter. A skip/hop just west of Washington. Should be clean wind and untracked several inches of loose snow on 8" of base. Come on out and put on a show for the cars stopping along E/S shore where we'll be launching. There are some trees that will eat kites :shock: I've have fed a couple of them so far. :oops: ETA noon. :)

Jerry
"The Pessimist complains about the wind; the optomist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." William Arther Ward
monkey1031

Post by monkey1031 »

Ripley is darn near half way to California!

Swede?
Tonka?
????

I'm going to start my car.

-smd7
stevenP

Post by stevenP »

I'm up for either Calhoun or Minnetonka (where??). Wind is still pretty light...
sPk
steveb

Post by steveb »

Steve....it's a Manta day....
Regional Ozone Team rider
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

Just waiting for a consensus to develop on the location for today. Tonka is about as far as I am willing to go west today. Anyone headed to the Bear?
Midwest Mountaineering/Ozone Team Rider
JBailey

Post by JBailey »

I'll be hitting up Minnetonka about 3pm if it looks like it's picking up. Fingers crossed...hope to see some of y'all out there.

Jon
JRN

Post by JRN »

E-SIDERS TALKING MAHTO. WIND JUST PICKED UP TO W@10. GOTTA GO!
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

On my way to Mahto.
Midwest Mountaineering/Ozone Team Rider
Elkman

Post by Elkman »

Hmm. Am I cool enough to hang with the east side crew, especially JRN?

Oh, wait. I went riding with JRN and a few other east siders in South Padre, and they didn't kick me out, so I must be OK. :D

I'll grab the bigger kites and head out to Mahtomedi.
Todd Murray
Bloomington, MN
efjanssen

Post by efjanssen »

Where on Tonka?
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

joining the party at Mahtomedi

looks like a windy evening as well.
Tighe
Matixsnow

Post by Matixsnow »

Just got back from Minnetonka, Cooks Bay. Snow was ride-able, but tricky in spots from freezing. Rode 12m manta all day decently powered. Quite a few scary wet puddles on the lake.
Matixsnow

Post by Matixsnow »

where can you park at mahtomedi? thinking about checking it out tomorrow.
monkey1031

Post by monkey1031 »

To whomever told me and the old man (Obi Wan) that we wasted money on 20.5 Machines.... Well, blow it out yer ear.

We TORE IT UP today!!!!!!!!!!!

With video to prove it. Obi Wan is starting his Jedi jump training.. He may only be getting a foot off terra firma, but for a geezer, he's still bringin' it.

-smd7

P.S. Howz about Monday?
EOPPEN

Post by EOPPEN »

I kited tonka today. Saw Brian out there on his machine.....Was nice to meet you and have some one to ride with. I ended up sailing all the way from the Minnetonka Yacht club to the Wayzata yacht club. The wind came up nicely....How ever there are alot of slushy scary spots on the main lake still. There were times today were I felt like I was water skiing just hoping to stay powered up to make it through....But all was good and had a great session.

I am planning to do it all over again tomorrow but just starting earlier....Lake minnetonka sailing school at 10:00 is my eta.....Was fun today...There is a sick ice road gap that is a ton of fun.

Can't wait to boost off again tomorrow. T minus 15 hrs and 19 minutes to launch....STOKEYDDDDDD!!!!
iDoLSurf Shaper/Rider
BBAddict

Post by BBAddict »

Just to reiterate...Tonka seems frozen but the well traveled areas in some of the bays suck. Rode around a bit today and had a good session. Don't be disappointed when you first get out there. There is good snow to be had, but you have to get out and away from some serious slush and ruined snow where all the vehicles and traffic has really carved it up...and watch for slushy spots while you're cruising--keep those bases well waxed so they don't ice up!

Seth