waconia on N,

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

rfritz

waconia on N,

Post by rfritz »

Hey , any of the waconia guys know if that beach on the SE side is any good on a N wind? It is supposed to be colder tomorrow so can't see that there would be anybody there.
Prof Marc

Re: waconia on N,

Post by Prof Marc »

I'll join you on the SE beach at Waconia tomorrow, arriving around 10am. (I was going to haul my sorry a** up to Mille Lacs tomorrow, but it seems that there's not such an advantage to the big lake with North winds.)

--Marc
(612) 275-9878
web: http://cctbio.ece.umn.edu
Jeff G

Post by Jeff G »

The beach is a nice place to launch and works fine on a North wind. It can be a little tricky to get away from shore but once you're out it's good. You'll have to pay $5 to park though. Avoid getting too close to the shoreline west of the beach because it's deep near shore and difficult to land the kite. Have fun! I might launch from the beach too.
Elkman

Post by Elkman »

I may give the beach a shot tomorrow as well, assuming that there's enough wind. I wasn't too encouraged by the last forecast I read, but now that I have a large kite, I've got more of a riding range.

Don't expect me to be there first thing in the morning, though, since I'm a night owl.
Todd Murray
Bloomington, MN
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Those less experienced:
It's going to be directly onshore at the south beach on Waconia. There are very limited shallows, as well as lines and buoys in the water. You might consider launching at the DNR launch and doing a downwinder to the south beach. There will be a wind shadow most likely at the DNR launch. You could body drag out into the wind before relaunching if that's the case. If you're not riding upwind yet, this would give a great downwind opportunity, with a good take out down wind. I suggest doing a self rescue upwind of the beach, since the shallows are pretty limited.

ride safe and respect others using the park/beach
Tighe
rfritz

Post by rfritz »

thanks for that guys,

i scoped it out end of last year but it was too busy with peeps so i tanked the idea, but have been riding out of the dnr lately and loving wac. and have rode down to the beach on cooler days and wondered why not use it.
will be out likely around eleven. where did the 20-30mph forecast go???
chanrider

Post by chanrider »

I agree with Tighe, please use extreme caution when it comes to the south beach. Anytime between Memorial Day and Labor Day (or whenever the swim buoys are out), especially on a weekend is really pushing it. There could still be people in jackets using the beach and there are now giant permanent sunshades along the beach waiting to grab kites and lines. The swim area takes up most of the useable space also.

I launched yesterday from the DNR site with a 14M kite and big board and it was fine even though the wind was really north. It helps to walk as far upwind and as far away from shore as the shallows will allow. It's still pretty dirty close to shore but launch and ride or body drag away from shore as quickly as possible. Then stay out there working your way upwind and you should be ok. When landing make a run through the dirty zone and land upwind where you started.
Mark F