Idea for the Gathering

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Tighe

Idea for the Gathering

Post by Tighe »

Debbie came up with a great idea for the Gathering. Sometime during the event, most likely during the low wind periods, we'd have a competition of sorts. Riders would take to the water with anything that wasn't a board, and their kite.

The only rule is that you need to pilot the craft under kitepower for at least 100 feet, without help or stabilizing on the bottom.

Riders will be judged on creativity, uniqueness, craziness, and absurdity of their ride as well as how effectively they moved through the water. Any craft previously intended for water use obviously would score fairly low.

We were undecided whether or not we need to require that the craft go across the wind at all or if just downwind is sufficient.

We already assume Bryce will most likely win this, and look forward to whatever he comes up with.

John Z is developing a trophy that can accept plaques each year as it is passed from winner to winner each year.

This should be fun. Let your creative juices flow.
Tighe
Debbie

Re: Idea for the Gathering

Post by Debbie »

Oh yeah - and everyone has to use an 8 meter kite.........o.k., make that 9 meter.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

I've been hearing some pretty cool ideas developing. This should be fun.
Tighe
scottman

Post by scottman »

I'll have my Jet Ski there if it's not too windy, I have tow rope to practice some board skills if t he wind is totally down, I might even pick up a tube for some good old inner tubing, anyone for crackthe wip at 70 mph??
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

So you got your concept?

Anyone have a name for this event? not even sure what to call it, race, event, parade, exhibition.

This could be a fun tradition.
Tighe
scottman

Post by scottman »

If there is not any wind I will have my Jet Ski up there we could do some wakeboarding.
Death Roll

Post by Death Roll »

Tighe,

Great idea!.....If Randy L were to "ride" his truck, would that count as being too much like a boat/foating device?

Adam
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Even though it has been used for ocean going transport, I think it still falls within the guidelines. He would need to move it unassisted by kites power for 100 feet though.
Tighe
RandyL

Post by RandyL »

Adam, I know you can't make it to the Gathering, but you will be there in spirit. :lol: :lol:
Attachments
ak.jpg
ak.jpg (17.28 KiB) Viewed 5991 times
ImageLAKAWA /Local Slingshot Team Rider
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

We still have to figure out some name for this "event"

maybe some acronym.

any ideas?
Tighe
ScottOC

Post by ScottOC »

Tighe, How about AWAKAL. Stands for All Windriders are Kin and Likable. Feel free to insert your own more clever words.
JRN

Post by JRN »

I DON'T THINK IT IS FAIR, that Chad plans on duct taping a pair of Labs to his feet! I think we need to limit the "board' choice to non-living entities. As for long deceased bloated cows, that should be allowed. :wink:
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
JimPat

Post by JimPat »

If it's windy enough I expect to see people riding water skis, knee boards and the like. That should be interesting. I would like to suggest a second contest. Something brought to the water that was not invented or intended for water use. Something you could power by paddle or sail or allright you can use your kite. However, No water skis, knee boards, tubes, etc.. No other rules about how you support it(strap on some noodles or life jackets or logs, etc.. Let the creativity and the crowd be the judge! You know the expression "Whatever makes your boat float". I guess we could call it the "whatever makes your boat float competition"(I know what your thinking, I'm a genius). Let me know your thoughts before I start creating a water worthy object.
Jim & Patty
RV Team Riders
Waconia, SPI, Hood River
952-457-8939
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

That's exactly what the intention was for this idea. John told me I could probably ride on a lunch tray and that's what started the whole thing. So if a lunch tray works, go for it.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

yes Jim that was THE CONCEPT.

The Rules are as follows:
You must "ride" at least 100 ft, unassisted, without touching the ground or anyone else, powered by a kite.
The "thing" that you ride must not be designed for water use (no canoes, water skis, etc)

Judging will be based on uniqueness, creativity, absurdity, etc.

Be prepared to "ride" in minimal winds, ie float.

This should be fun.

I like your idea Scott (da it's Lakawa backwards), any others?

tighe
Tighe
meekle

Post by meekle »

hmmm... I wonder how well a keg would float? then again, I'm guessing that liquor stores probably don't want you dragging their kegs through the lake...
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

I saw a vid on youtube with a guy kiting, while riding an ironing board (upside down). It was actually working.