2009 Midwest Speed Quest Update.....

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Craig Bergh

2009 Midwest Speed Quest Update.....

Post by Craig Bergh »

Midwest Speed Quest Update May 23, 2009

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to update the LAKAWA members on the Early Results of The 2009 Midwest Speed Quest.

The Prizes at the end of the year are similar to past years: $1000 First, $500 Second, $250 Third, $125 Fourth, and $75 Fifth.

A new "Economic Stimulus Program" has just been announced for 2009. We will pay CASH when certain speeds have been recorded. Putting money into the pockets of the windsurfers now, will help with the recovery efforts!

NOTE; These stimulus funds will be awarded ON TOP OF the Prizes to be awarded at the end of the year!

PHASE ONE: Starts May 20, 2009

30 knots = $200 CASH

If two or more racers record this speed on the same day, the money will be shared among the winners.

PHASE TWO: Starts June 10, 2009.

35 knots = $500 CASH

PHASE THREE: To Be Announced!!!

Here is an update of the verified "Best Ten Second Runs" so far in 2009.

David Knight 29.65 knots May 13
Adam Anderson 29.63 knots May 20
Chris Lock 29.28 knots May 20
Jason Swanson 28.20 knots May 12,
Erick Ries 26.62 knots April 24

Please let me know in advance if you are coming down to compete.

Thank you LAKAWA for your support!

Craig Bergh
The Midwest Speed Quest
133 Lake Avenue
Worthington, MN 56187

email: cbergh@iw.net

web: http://www.midwestspeedquest.com

cell: 1-507-360-4801
DavidKnight

Re: 2009 Midwest Speed Quest Update.....

Post by DavidKnight »

Whew! I thought for sure you guys would have blown my speed out of the water with gusts hitting 50 on Wednesday... but from Chris's account of the day, it seems like the gusts were stealthy and short-lived. I know my speed won't last- you guys are too fast. How did the new Vector fins work out?
adamel111

Post by adamel111 »

I did my runs on a sputnik 265 and 13.75" rainbow fin from 1995. Wish I could have gotten on the vector fins, but the sputnik is a powerbox and the only powerbox vector fin was a 38 cm kind of swept thing.

Ardy said he clocked a 31 knot 10 second run on Winnebago last wednesday. Apparently, mo' wind doesn't always = mo' better.
Adam Anderson
DavidKnight

Post by DavidKnight »

Adam,

I have a new 30" Single Screw Powerbox Vector EX speed fin that's never been sailed. I bought a 30 and a 34 from Vector last year for an F2 Thommen 270 that I ended up just selling at the swap (with the 34" fin). I think I worked it out that I'm going to bring the 30" EX down to Worthington to put into Craig's demo fin quiver. I think the deal is that Jeff from Vector fins credits me towards a new fin (as I bought the sweet CarbonArt SL 62 demo board Craig had for sale and it's a Tuttlebox). So I'll try out the Rockits and the Canefires... but the EX is the fastest model they make for straight flatline speed. If you're in the Twin Cities, I could hand it off to you for you to bring down on your next speed run- or I'll drop it off next time I'm down there... sooner or later. But I guess you'ld have to leave it down there with Craig... unless you work something out with Jeff at Vector Fins.
adamel111

Post by adamel111 »

Thanks for the offer, but I think 30 is a bit small for me. I have some other needs to take care of before getting some fins as well (I broke my slalom boom at the dam jam so that is the number one priority now).

Adam
Adam Anderson
Chris Lock

Post by Chris Lock »

Didnt use the Vectors eithers, I was using a fifteen year old Finworks Wing 36cm. Gonna have to try something a little more modern one of these times :roll:

I agree that more wind isnt necessarily better for going fast. With lake sailing theres that point where the chop and gustiness starts to decrease top end potential. We definately reached that on Saturday.

Nobody around here seems to be able to push past a ten sec. run in the low thirty knots. Has that magic combo of gear, wind and water conditions not all come together for someone yet or are we simply getting maxed out for top speed given the conditions we sail in here. :?:
adamel111

Post by adamel111 »

I think we can still push for faster 10 seconds runs. Each year it looks like it has gone up slightly. The chase to go faster and faster is part of the fun/challenge. You always feel like you can go faster. Just like seeking the "ultimate ride" on a wave. Having said that, I don't know if a 35 knot run on Okabena is possible without pretty specialized gear (board/fin).

Last week was plain old frustrating. Speed sailing was just too difficult with the wind speed fluctuating so fast and with such great range.
Adam Anderson
DavidKnight

Post by DavidKnight »

I agree... more wind doesn't exactly equal more speed- especially on a lake. For speed, I'd rather have a steady 25-30 than the 45-50 gusts you guys had a week ago. But it might have been kinda fun to jump on that speed needle CarbonArt board- at my weight pushing 225- I need it to blow at least a steady 25 to get that thing out of the water. The 35 knot speed mark seems like a barrier right now- at least in most conditions down there. I'd like to try out some smaller fins- to cut down the drag on the off-the-wind speed runs.

I'll bring the 30cm Vector EX fin down to Worthington and leave it with Craig- anybody with a singlescrew powerbox board can use it.