WB at 9:15am anyone?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Kevinousdigian

WB at 9:15am anyone?

Post by Kevinousdigian »

I'm thinking of heading to WB (probably Ramsey) at 9:15am. Anyone interested?
KO
Kevin Ousdigian
Eric Bro

Re: WB at 9:15am anyone?

Post by Eric Bro »

How is Rutherford (WBL) in a SW wind? Straight onshore, but the fetch is alot better than Ramsey with a SW, which will be very gusty.
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

I will see you there around 9:30. If it's too gusty I will help launch, then head over later in the afternoon.
" Real living begins on the far side of despair " _ Jean Paul Sartre
kitesurfergirl

Post by kitesurfergirl »

First off hello! I have been living and kiting in florida for the last couple years but I'm visiting mn for the summer. I would love to get in a session tomorrow but being new to the mn scene I do not have a clue where WB is, please help shed some light... or any ideas of other places to go? Perferably south of the twin cities or close to them. Thanks so much!
SteveJ

Post by SteveJ »

Check out the lakes section
Kevinousdigian

Post by Kevinousdigian »

I agree Rutherford is better if it goes SW or S-SW. I think it will be mostly south in morning. All day will be gusty but afternoon mid-day and early afternoon will be stronger winds but it should be 20-30+ by 10am.

If you look at the map SW is more sideshore for rutherford which makes it easier to get over by the yacht club where there is nicer swell and steadier wind coming through the gap. I would stay away from ramsey on SW as it's offshore. A lot of people get confused with WB and wind directions. From Ramsey SW is coming from the apts and s is over the bridge going to Manitou and SE is the gap. From Rutherford S is coming over end of Manitou and S-SW is coming over bridge going to Manitou which is actually probably a better direction for rutherford than straight S. It seems like it's best to either stay down by Rutherford or get over toward yacht club.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 2&t=h&z=15

I may need to stay home with my daughter, depends how she feels when she wakes up. Call me on my cell if your thinking of going this morning. I'm leaning toward Rutherford because you can gage the wind better and I'd rather work my way up wind a little to play by the yacht club although the parking is more of a hassle.

KO
cell 763.218.8154
kevin.ousdigian@gmail.com

Kevin
Kevin Ousdigian
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Emily,
SW is not an ideal direction for WB or White Bear Lake in the NE corner of the cities. I had a session there last night in SW winds and it was a pretty rough ride.

These guys live near White Bear so they are gonna make it work.

Waconia or Mille Lacs are much better options for SW
Tighe
Eric Bro

Post by Eric Bro »

Thanks for the great info on Rutherford, Kevin. Sounds like it should work today. (and I'm too lazy to drive 4 hours to/from Milly) Hope to make it before noon. Oops; on second look at the winds, I don't have anything that will handle gusts to 40. Guess I'll reconsider!
Eric
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

I've got to wait for an appliance to be delivered. It could be as late as noon.

Michael
" Real living begins on the far side of despair " _ Jean Paul Sartre
Kevinousdigian

Post by Kevinousdigian »

I'm home with a recovering pink eye kid so I'm just hoping to get out later this afternoon. I think it will be very gusty everywhere today and sitting out on my deck and looking at the readings they confirm that.

I concur with Tighe that SW is the 'weakest link' for White Bear. I will say however that if you get out on the lake by the yacht club or NW of Mahtomedi the wind is pretty steady and there are nice ramps/little swell. Most people don't get to those spots because they go to ramsey and stay by shore which may be wise for a beginner but the wind will be terrible, especially on SW. For windsurfing Mahtomedi beach works good and for kiting I'd only go to Rutherford on SW (not Ramsey). Malmo on ML is way way better as Tighe said but on a hot day like today it's likely the winds are 20-35 mph a couple miles from the lake but 10-15 or 20 on the lake. It may blow hard in the morning but by 10-11 when it warms up there is a bubble over lake due to cold water that makes warm winds lift up. If straight south there is a tad more along the shore at malmo.

Enjoy the hot windy day wherever you end up!!
KO
Kevin Ousdigian