Wednesday!

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

tumblemonster

Wednesday!

Post by tumblemonster »

I have the whole day off, its supposed to be warm and windy. Where should I go?
Debbie

Re: Wednesday!

Post by Debbie »

I'd like to head to Milley. How was the water for those who were there on Saturday?
scottman

Post by scottman »

Water at Milly was Chilly but doable, I think I road for a couple of hours almost but was not cold, more fatigued being it was my first time out this year on the water.
Lee_Uptown

Post by Lee_Uptown »

Yeah... water's cold. I'm sure your ghetto drysuit will hold up. Plus, it's going to be in the 70s on Wednesday and not 50s like Saturday.
dtownkiter

Post by dtownkiter »

i will be up at mille lacs wed. afternoon and plan on camping there until Friday if the forecast holds. not sure where but malmo might be the spot.

hope to see some others out there.

adam t.

i am guessing the water is probably low 50's. i was north of duluth this weekend on a larger lake and the temps were 50-54 on the surface.
RobH

Post by RobH »

Trying to get Wednesday off as well, thinking about going south to pick up session Tuesday late afternoon on Clear Lake and then again on Wednesday. Wind looks a bit better to the south than the north, however I do feel the need to ride Mille. See what tomorrows forecast looks like
Rob Hyland
Cabrinha Shop Rider / Lakawa Team Rider
P R Key

Post by P R Key »

Rob, let me know what you end up doing on Wed. I am all of a sudden feeling sick. It would be great to catch up with ya.
RobH

Post by RobH »

Heading South to Clear Lake in a few , nice southerly happening right now cranking out even 20 mph. Wednesday adds another 10 to the chart. Im hearing its shorty weather, will miss the shallows of Mille on Wednesday and stick to Clear lake or Cannon - everyone take a sick day - she is going to blow
Rob Hyland
Cabrinha Shop Rider / Lakawa Team Rider
kiteboymn

Post by kiteboymn »

The big M is where it's @ tom.
Live Hard!
Lakawa Shop Rider
http://mnkiteboy.com/
Denis

Post by Denis »

Most likely taking a day off to go to Milly. I'll try to make it up there before 10am.

Denis
(================P-</
Sponsored by Slingshot Kiteboarding
Iceman

Post by Iceman »

I also will be heading for Mille lacs on Wednesday I am by Motley now and the temp is 61 not like in the city 97 ouch. Is there a place on the side of the lake or is Malmo the place to be?

Dave
dtownkiter

Post by dtownkiter »

i will be up at malmo unless everyone is riding somewhere else. probably wont make it there until around 2:00 pm.

any suggestions for camping?

thanks!

adam t.
kitesurfergirl

Post by kitesurfergirl »

Hello! I am visiting mn this summer and looking for places to ride. Any help would be great! Tomorrow looks like another warm windy day and I really want to get a session in. Where is Clear Lake? Or any other suggestions of places to go?
Thanks,

Emily
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Emily
Welcome to the area.

We'll have SW winds today so the best options will be Waconia or Mille Lacs. Waconia is about 40 minutes west of the Twin Cities and Mille Lacs is about 1h40m North of the cities. Waconia is a local favorite lake. There are shallows out at least a couple of kite line lengths and a small rigging area. Mille Lacs is one of our best riding options in the state. There is a beach, the wind is generally fan steady, and there is good swell that jacks up on the sand bar. Malmo on Mille lacs has a huge grassy rigging area (no beach), and massive shallows that go out almost 1/2 mile. Reddy Creek (about 3 miles from Malmo to the west) has the beach, shallows out 300ft or so, and waves. Both will be near onshore today.

If you can take the time, I'd make the drive to Mille Lacs. The winds look a bit lighter up there. Down here the winds look to be mid to high 20s gusting into the 30s, up there more like 15-30mph.

Clear lake is another option, for you since you're on the S side of the cities. It is just over the border in Iowa (2 hours south of the cities). It is a smaller lake though gets good winds since it is on a slight hill. I'd still recommend the Wac or Mille over Clear though.

Enjoy the day.
Tighe
djmadmike

Post by djmadmike »

Have fun all you crazy kids. I am running research data this AM and then working the rest of the day---boooooo. :cry:

Get some rides in for me and give me a hell yah

Rock on
Mike T Nelson
Mike T. Nelson MS
PhD(c) Exercise Physiology U of MN
http://www.MikeTNelson.com
Athletic Performance and Physique Transformation
MK

Post by MK »

I'm heading to Waconia, be there by 1pm.
MK

Post by MK »

wind is cranked,15 cars, all windsurfers, thinking its too much for my 9M T2...someone talk me into it.
tom_latcham

Post by tom_latcham »

MK It is gusting over 40 and still trending up. The only thing I can do is talk you out of going. I would not try it with my 7 meter. Unless I could gain 100lbs.
TL
ice_kmauve

Post by ice_kmauve »

Wow. Tried Rutherford with a 7m Waroo. It was so gusty and punchy that half the time I was sinking into the water and other half the time the kite was deforming in the air, gripped by massive gusts. after 15 minutes of survival kiting I landed it and came in. Thanks Mike, for helping out.

I assume conditions were better at Milley or the Wac.
"They call me Doctor Love.. Doctor love!!" - an obscure rock band.
scottchapman

Post by scottchapman »

Cannon went off... I did the Pole board thing and am exahusted...3.0 screamers both sail, board and my mouth.....!!!! :shock: 8) :lol: It reminds me of a post I did years ago On Lakawa...You know it's really windy when... give me you top Ten! Then I'll give you mine!