t'morrow (Sat 5/16)

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

MK

t'morrow (Sat 5/16)

Post by MK »

Busy until 2pm and forecast is a little cool but low 20mph WNW. Bellaire? Wacooneeeiaaaay?

Just got a call from TB prompting me to get out. Maybe I'll pick up some Surley to share and decode over the tastebuds? Just need to find where they sell it close to Maple Grove.
Tighe

Re: t'morrow (Sat 5/16)

Post by Tighe »

Waconia is the place tomorrow. NW is THE BEST direction at Waconia. Out near the island the bottom creates some huge open rollers, with glossy flats between. Gotta ride it.

Hope others can join in.

Hope to see you out there Mike.

ride on
Tighe
JRN

Post by JRN »

Terry, Eric & I will be riding Milly this afternoon & maybe Sunday. If it's west enough, Malmo, or NW @ Pop Henn.
C/U\H2o :shock:
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
skattum

Post by skattum »

What time is everyone thinking for Wac? Looks like it's already nuking and is poised to increase throughout the morning. My 8 is on the repair, what do you guys think about a 13 Waroo at 175lbs in this condition? Might be a little much?
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

I plan to hit the wac around 10:30-11. Gonna let it warm up a bit.

Right now the 13 might be fine. The forecasts look big for the afternoon but who knows.

ride on
Tighe
Jeff G

Post by Jeff G »

Matt, Did you have trouble fixing the valve? I think it might be a little much for the 13.
skattum

Post by skattum »

Hey Jeff, I did have trouble, well, actually I didn't have a spare valve (thought I had one but after looking ... no luck). So I put some poxy on it last night. It set up but I missed one of the leaks. Who knows, poxy might not even work for a valve leak - will replace when I get a new valve.

I was going to head out to the Wac right now thinking 13, but wow, it's looks gusty from here in EP.
scottchapman

Post by scottchapman »

the sun will come out in a little while.. I am planning on a Noon ETA...do I need to break out the gloves and booties again....;( :?
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

I'm going to head up to wakkon bay (change of plans!) this afternoon! See ya all there!
Last edited by Bryce on Sat May 16, 2009 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bryce

Add to google map for MN kiting spots!
Minnesota Kiting Map
JanMarie

Post by JanMarie »

I think I will try Lake City. Not shallow, but close.

JanMarie
MK

Post by MK »

Good day it was. My first of the season for these waters. Happy to relate for those still trepidatious about the water temp that it is niiiiice. I had a 7mm wetsuit and I was toasty. The temp was barely above 50. I didn't wear gloves or booties and had a slight concern going into it but glad to report it was bareable. Sure my hands and feet got cold but it was vastly overshadowed by the joy of the ride.

I only got about an hour session in and then got grounded buy a lull and a hole in the wind. I used my 9m T3 with 151 sx board and think I was lit about 20-30% of the time; really flying it the rest of the time. Conditions were definetley challenging with wind speeds fluctuating every few minutes. I'm guessing it ranged from 18 to plus 30. Since I'm on the heavy side of 215lbs I'm blaming the wrong size kite for the sesh. My only other choice was my 14m T2 and I was too concerned about being overpowered so I decided to throw caution to wind with the 9m.

I'm in my 2nd year with a 14/9 quiver and it usually gets me by. I really enjoy the range of both kites and I'm happy with how they manage threw gusty conditions. I actually prefer to be pretty powered up (the upper range of wind speed) on the 14. However, given the time of the day I showed up and was actully on the lake, 4pm with slowly deminishing winds, and I hadn't been out in a while the 9 seemed to be the better choice. The wind was coming down, not very fast, and I heard in my pre-flight prep and conversations from the others about how it was really blowing earlier in the day. I guess in hindsight, for yesterday's session, I would have been best served on an 11m. In a perfect world the 9/11/14 combo with a 151/136 quiver would cover my needs. However, hopefully I'll get some more ride time in the upcoming weeks and I'll simply have more confidence to go with a bigger kite :lol:

Oh yeah, the Surley Beer...Glad I tried it. Funky looking graphics on the can but the flavor was good. If you prefer light beers then don't try this. I'll be getting to know the Surley line this summer fer-shure.

Nice soup, sandwich afterwards in Victoria at The School of the Wise (?). Not sure my IQ fit the concept but I enjoyed the company of Jeff, Scott, Tom, Debbie, and Tighe. Interesting story on getting clipped by a snowmobiler Tom. I appreciated your take on foregiveness and that will become my ruminating thought of choice for a while. I'm not sure how long it will stick...

Wish I would have taken some pictures yesterday at the lake and dinner.

Mike
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

What a great day. Felt Classic Waconia. The slight chill in the air, the bluegreen water with vivid white caps, the trees roaring overhead, the warmth of the blacktop beneath your half frozen bare feet.

There is something about those long days, when you have nothing calling on either end. I got there early and took my time rigging up. Decided on the 9 even though there were two 7s on the water. I was pretty lit most of the day. Switched out boards a fair deal. (Thanks Mark) Amazing the differences a board can make. The wave sets were nice out there. Never really opened up wide, but there were playgrounds of steap clean faces.

As the day wound down there were pockets of BS sessions on shore, 2-3 groups down by the water 2-3 small groups up in the parking lot. Beers were flowing, jerky was knawed on, wounds were shown. Speaking of which, Chris B showed up for his first ride after his injury last fall. Looked good as ever on the water.

Enjoyed the conversation and laughs at the School of the Wise afterwards. We had been heading to Floyd's but there was a live band and it was packed so we found the School. Nice casual cafe. Good food, decent beer.

I feel satiated.
Tighe