light wind board

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

ScottOC

light wind board

Post by ScottOC »

Anyone have advice for a light wind, or beginning board size or manufacturer for a 170 pound novice? Any experience with the Myply or the spleene door? Thanks.
BBAddict

Re: light wind board

Post by BBAddict »

I started on the Liquid Force Proof 151 and weighed about the same as you. It is much less expensive than the Spleene Boards and is a more forgiving board if you're just starting to learn. I was able to get up and ride my first session and stayed upwind my second session--great learning board. It actually rode really well in extremely high winds--rode it at the gathering last year where it was blowing 25-30mph.

https://velocitykiting.com/index.php/bo ... proof.html
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

I'll be making some boards similar to myply. Shooting for same price or cheaper than myply and you'll be able to try before you buy.

I'll post some pictures in the next few weeks and you can see if you like em.
Bryce

Add to google map for MN kiting spots!
Minnesota Kiting Map
BBAddict

Post by BBAddict »

I'm stoked to see your board. I know there's a lot of us around that would like a Door or something similar for those light wind days but nobody wants to spend $700-$800 on a board if they don't have to. We know you know how to make a lightwind board after your showing at the summer crossing last year! Your passion for the sport is admirable and contagious.

Seth
Dave Z

Post by Dave Z »

ScottOC - a used Slingy SX 151 would be a great choice. Bill S has one in classifieds.
steveb

Post by steveb »

Ditto on the 151sx, tough to beat that board for your size and Mn conditions.
Regional Ozone Team rider
Eric Bro

Post by Eric Bro »

I also loved the SX 151 in light wind. Not quite a Spleen Door for light wind, but is much more maneuverable.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

The SX151 is a magical board. Big, yet surfy. Even the newer SXs have lost some of that feel. Last I checked there were 2-3 SX151s for sale in classifieds.
Tighe
johnz

Post by johnz »

I just got my '09 Slingshot Glide. Can't wait to give it a try.

Very simple design philosophy: BIG, LIGHT, Sharp Rails, and super low profile fins for reduced drag.

It's kind of funny because the outline is similar to the Len10 pro model - just longer, a little wider, and not as stiff.

Wood core this year - should be a lot of fun.

Can't wait to try it out...
- John Z
John Z
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Yeah, I've got my eyes on the Glide as well. It's supposed to be the best shape and construction Glide to date.
Attachments
media.nl.jpeg
media.nl.jpeg (89.67 KiB) Viewed 5673 times
Tighe
kiteboymn

Post by kiteboymn »

Wow! that's cool. Looks like a big ass Lunacy.
Are the dims the same as the glide or did they change it up a bit?
Live Hard!
Lakawa Shop Rider
http://mnkiteboy.com/
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

Ditto. SX 151 was my first board. I just picked up a new SX 147 today. I am also 170 lbs.
" Real living begins on the far side of despair " _ Jean Paul Sartre
scottman

Post by scottman »

I started with the SX151, most excellent board until I lost it on Waconia, I'm still looking for it so if someone usually selling one the same color scheme as mine I check it out. The SX151 was just as Tighe said, really surfy but also ridable in the higher winds. The only thing I would say or ask is what are you really looking for a truly light wind board or a medium to light wind board because I have to tell you there is Nothing like the spleen door 154 for light wind, anyone can say whatever they want but until you ride one of these light wind machines you don't know what your missing, it is the true light wind board, and the price, I don't know where you get the 700 or 800 dollar price I only paid 549 for mine nad have not regretted it yet, just my two cents.
Nathan B

Post by Nathan B »

WOW that new Glide looks nice ! yea Todd it does look like a big Luny not sure if they changed it, kinda looks like it?. I always wanted to try boots on the old Glide because it kinda had some flex. But now with the new FRT construction on the new glide I would like to try it! def will be a sick light wind board , I rode the old glide back to back with the Spleen Door and felt no difference especially when a boards that big , the new Glide with its bomber construction looks like it will really perform campared to most light wind boards , you would be amazed what could be done even with the old glide!
Attachments
mk-reddy-glide.jpg
mk-reddy-glide.jpg (187.16 KiB) Viewed 5195 times
Nathan B

Post by Nathan B »

one of my favorite boards for light wind was only 150$ on sale at Sportmart http://messageboard.wakeworld.com/surf/ ... uctID=2855
and its sick cause you can use it for no wind Wakesurfing and an even take the fins off it and Skim with it also. theres lots of sick wakesurfers out there and they make awesome strapless boards for kiteboarding .