Padre Island Rock Star

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

chanrider

Padre Island Rock Star

Post by chanrider »

Well sort of, I stopped into XL Kites one day with a rookie question about a frayed pigtail, which was just the ends coming out and not a problem. Anyway Mark Doyle was there and took me over next door and the repair guy at B&S Kites took a lighter to it and now it looks brand new again. The lighter is not necessary, the frays are harmless.

XL is a Slingshot dealer and Mark seems to be a really nice guy, and apparently has his own video on Youtube where he looks to be a pretty good rider, plus he gives lessons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd1gGVPl ... A&index=18

Stop in say hi, the store opens at 10am supposedly, might want to give them a little more time than that though, it is the Island after all!
Mark F
Tighe

Re: Padre Island Rock Star

Post by Tighe »

Mark is a pro rider with Slingshot. Yeah he's a decent rider ; )

His whole family is into kiting. His mom is the friendly woman on the phone when you call in to customer service and his dad designs the boards.

Yeah XL is a great new shop down there.
Tighe
steveb

Post by steveb »

And...we should say that Bill at B and S kites is super helpful and really really good at repairing kites at a very reasonable price...just in case you ever need a kite rebuilding.

I'll take advantage of this for a plug which is to say that Mark is also sponsored by Hyperflex wetsuits, both Scuba Center and Midwest Mountaineering have hyperflex and their partner brand Neosport.Amazing suits and great value.Just in case anyone needs a new suit this spring.
http://www.hyperflexusa.com and http://www.neosportusa.com
Regional Ozone Team rider
johnz

Post by johnz »

Yes, he is a great guy (like so many in our little community).

I'm glad to hear he's involved with XL down there!

A lot of those videos were edited hear locally - pretty cool, eh?

I have high def versions of all of the Slingshot rider profiles if anybody want's them.
- z
John Z
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider
Judd or Dianne

Post by Judd or Dianne »

If you stop into "Bill" the repair guy next door, tell him your a friend of Judd and Dianne, we've left a fair amount of cash with him, but so far his repairs always last. :lol:

dianne
Paul F

Post by Paul F »

I remember when John Doyle windsurf boards were popular. I liked them because it was kind of a design innovation with the machine shaped hollow foam core. I remember seeing John and his little kid at Rufus. It makes me feel old now that his "little kid" is famous. When you said Padre Rock Star I thought you were talking about Stevie Wonder.