South Padre Island Surfari 2009

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Tighe

South Padre Island Surfari 2009

Post by Tighe »

Once again we're returning to this great spot. You've see the photos from previous trips, you know you want to go, hopefully you can make this one. We've got two trip lengths available (custom trips still available)

Option 1: 7 days: 4/17-4/24, $950
Option 2: 10 days 4/17 -4/27, $1150

(these prices will only come down as the number of people goes up)

More details here

We have set March 10th as the deadline for signing up for this trip. If you want to go, we need $400 to hold your spot. The remainder of your trip cost will be due at the end of the month. You may use our website to pay via a credit card or Paypal, or send us a check to: Lakawa 3120 43rd Ave S, Mpls, MN 55406

We hope you'll be able to join us.
Tighe
Tighe

Re: South Padre Island Surfari 2009

Post by Tighe »

Still some openings for this great trip.

If you're thinking of coming and want to add to your quiver before heading down we've worked out a deal with Midwest Mountaineering. Take 10% off any kite in stock. This includes all the 08 Closeouts of T3 and Revs (currently at 40% OFF!!!)
Contact Peter Noren for details pnoren@midwestmtn.com

This is THE place to progress your skills. Whether it's your first ride on water or your first 720. Padre is the place.

Let us know if you want to join us; fly@lakawa.com
Tighe
Erik Stone

Post by Erik Stone »

If I make it there in time, I'll see you guys there!
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Ride on Erik,
good to hear from you! Would love to hit the surf with you. Psyched to hear some stories from the road. Sounds like you've been all over.
Tighe
DanMorton

Post by DanMorton »

Dan & Ken from Chicago are headed to Padre' Saturday April 25th for a week. We met you guys there a 2 years ago. We'll see you there.

The LaQinta is full Saturday Night, any suggestions?

Dan
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Travel Lodge isn't bad.
Tighe
Phillipl

Post by Phillipl »

Be sure to check out the South Padre Brewpub. They have a brewmaster who migrated from the Summit brewery in St Paul back in 1995. They have a great Red Ale @ $8 / pitcher happy hour.

They claim they will have a maibock on tap yet this month.
JRN

Post by JRN »

We were there again last night, after "Daddy's" closed before we got there. My shrimp wrap was great, & their Ahi Tuna is top shelf. My "Tall Blonde" beer was good but pricey @ $9!! I guess their service on the last visit was less than stellar, & they forgot Pete's drink altogether this time. We've had great wind so far, & the Blains report riding all but one day on their trip. "Hi" to all the Homies & the E-side crew, hope to be riding d'Bear again with you soon. :mrgreen:
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Kosk

Post by Kosk »

How was the surf side thursday afternoon after we left? Wish I was still down there for sure.

Let's see some of those photos from wednesday's throw down too, quit holding out on us! Photo-a-day...

I'll try to pull together an edit of my kite-cam footage sometime this weekend and post it up.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

twas gooood. Rode the 9 in 30+ winds, it was perfect. Waves were 4-8 ft. Hope for more today.

will get a gallery up soon. Not much time. You know the routine, ride till sunset, feast, sleep, repeat.

Wind everyday so far.

soon
Tighe
Kosk

Post by Kosk »

Here's a short vid from Tuesday afternoon. Big kite flat water cruisin' on a sunny & gentle SSE. I've got more footy to post up, just need a little time to put some more together.

http://www.vimeo.com/4327715

(Floaty unhooked raley at 1:30 to keep the new-schoolers happy.)
JRN

Post by JRN »

Pete, Thanks for sharing . It was fun riding with you. That camera really put it in perspective. You were really throwing down some wicked bad stuff. We had another great session today, on 11's & 13's. Tried hamming it up for the camera. All kinds of boosting going on, but still haven't quite got that back roll. Dorian actually got out his
Crazy-Fly! Tonight, back to the Brew Co. to celebrate his 75th year. Let's hope we're all still riding at his age.

T
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
krazykatie

Post by krazykatie »

Dorian is such an inspiration! If i'm still kiting at his age, i have another 45+ years to go! I hope i have my backrolls mastered by then!

Well another super awesome trip to Padre! I'm already planning and saving for November!

Pete, sweet videos! They really capture the moment!
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Another amazing trip. 10 for 10 days of riding. Amazing sunset sessions, surfside downwinders, flat water blasting, and insane boosting.

We picked up a grill this year which made for great mid afternoon refueling. What a great group of people. Hanging out, BS'n, playing like children on the water, supporting eachother, and having some great laughs...who could ask for more. Randy, Keith, Chad, Roger, Terry, Bill, Cory, Chad, Marc, Pete, Katie, Adam, Dorian, Brad, and Jim thanks for making it such a great trip. Always great to get to know some of you a bit more.

Randy brought his truck down so we brought a lot of gear. I had quite a bit of gear available for demo, and I got some time of a lot of it as well. Still loving the 132 Lunacy. It's amazing how much range that board has. Don't be concerned about it's length. The 137SX proved to be a favorite, providing a loose, smooth ride with quite a bit of pop in the new construction. The new Fuse has more flex and will really dig in and carve a tight turn if you want. Nice new pad set up as well. The majority of the crew were on T2s and T3s and looking great. Huge floaters from all. 3 of our riders had limited or no time on the water at the start of the week and were dialing boosts and backrolls by the end of the trip. A testiment to the kites, the riders and the insanely perfect spot to learn kiting.

Our daily routine didn't very much. Get up, eat, work our way to the beach, ride till dark 8-10 hrs+, grab a quick shower, eat and crash. REPEAT. What a great place. Someone mentioned it had been blowing for over 30 days! Toward the end the flats started getting a bit crowded, I assumed because many were coming down for the even next week.

I hope to have some photos in the gallery soon. I have hundreds.

thanks again for all who made the trip so memorable.
Tighe
dtownkiter

Post by dtownkiter »

definitely an amazing trip and my only regret now was that i didnt go on the previous trips. i dont think i will miss another padre trip after that!

Lots of good memories and enjoyed meeting all the new faces. Thanks to you all for the tips/pointers which helped out in avoiding the dreaded walk of shame (although I did have a couple).

for anyone that is on the fence about riding on the water or checking out padre I HIGHLY RECOMMEND going down.

also, special thanks to Tighe and anyone else that helped plan things out. things seemed to all work out no matter what the circumstances were. in addition, it was great to be with a group that seemed to keep the vibes positive and remained optimistic despite any setbacks. i was very impressed.

Finally, another thanks to Tighe/Randy/Slingshot for letting me try out some gear. Loved the Lunacy as well and couldnt believe it was only a 132. If i can start working on the freestyle aspect that will probably be the direction i want to go for a board.

GREAT TIMES and i hope to see everyone out this summer!

Adam T.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Great having you along Adam. I couldn't believe how far you came. 720s during your first week on the water!!!!! Sweet.

I totally agree about the attitude of the group. Everyone was great...they always are. But this time the award goes to Randy. Dude I am impressed beyond words. You held up and stayed solid long beyond when I would have lost it. Amazing.

I put up an album in the gallery section: http://www.lakawa.com/phpBB/lakawaphoto/?show=249

I have hundreds more. If anyone wants more shots of themselves or high res versions let me know.
Tighe
steveb

Post by steveb »

Just got back from Padre last night. 21 out of 22 days. I could have ridden the day I took off as there was wind in the afternoon, I just needed a break.The day I left it was blowing 30 and forcasted to be windy all the next week. An unbelievable spring.
Watching the long jump competition at the round up was a riot, Dimitri Miramendes won with a jump of approx 140yds long , he jumped to about 30 feet high then looped the kite 3 times. He was in the air forever.
Damion Leroy actually did a longer jump but he didn't land it which you had to do for the jump to count for the comp, in the middle of his first loop he got an up draft that took him another 15 feet up, I'd guess he went approx 160 yds and was in the air for about 11 seconds.
Watching Dimitri do his patent board off manouvers was mind blowing, he makes it look so easy.
Great to see every one down there, we need more minnesotans making the trip, the Colorado and Canada crews are getting bigger every year and there's a chance we'll loose our total beach domination status.Plan your trips for next spring....... this is war.
Regional Ozone Team rider