Snowboarding March 14th @ Wild

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

TomG

Snowboarding March 14th @ Wild

Post by TomG »

OK I’ve been talking to a few people about this and so I’m going to start stirring the pot. Some of you may or may not know I have been a snowboarder for about 20 years. I was the first snowboard instructor at several of the areas and I’ve worked in the industry for a while.

I would like to do is take a group of people snowboarding. For the most part beginners, but you don’t have to be. I will have some equipment to use for free. we may have to fill in with a little rental

When: March 14
Where: Wild Mountain need a group of 20 to get the group rate which will be $33

There were a few questions.

Question: I’m I just giving tips or full blown lesson?
Answer: This will be a full blown lesson. I will be at your beck and call. It is my goal to get you snowboarding and having fun.

I started snowboard instruction about 20 years ago. I feel I am one of the best snowboard instructors in the area. If not the region.

Question: Is this Just for Beginners?
Answer: No I will start with beginners and make sure they are all ok. Then I can help intermediate riders.

Question: Do you (Tom Grace) have extra snowboard gear pants, gloves etc we can use?
Answer: I have a few things and will bring any extra. I know I have a few pairs of gloves and 1 pair of 9 boots.

What I need from you: If you need equipment. I need your weight and foot size. Also list if you need snowpants, gloves, or anything else.

Where: If you need equipment we will meet at the FL Project (shop) in Forest Lake
Address: The FL Project, 155 Lake Street North, Forest Lake

When: 9am Goal to be on the hill by 10 am

Cost: Ticket $33 Bring some Food. Hill food is expensive.

Tom Grace
sixonetwo- 306-4631
The real pro isnt the one who doesn't make a mistake. The real pro is the one that does the best job hiding it!
TomG

Re: Snowboarding March 14th @ Wild

Post by TomG »

Address update for FL project:
The FL Project, 92 South Lake Street , Forest Lake
The real pro isnt the one who doesn't make a mistake. The real pro is the one that does the best job hiding it!
tom_latcham

Post by tom_latcham »

Thanks for that fantastic offer. If I were in town that week I would take you up on the great offer. I want to learn to snow board. But have been to chicken to pay my dues. The right instruction would definitly ease the pain.
Have fun:
TL
JRN

Post by JRN »

TOM: This is something I've been needing for a long time. Maybe with some lessons on the slope, I'll be able to do it with a kite. I've got most of the gear already. Do you recommend butt, elbow & knee pads, as well as wrist braces? I took the backs off my "step-ins" for kiting. Put'em back on? Hope others sign up too! I'll call later in the week for details.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
JanMarie

Post by JanMarie »

Tom, I am so bummed that I am already booked on March 14th. I had my first snowboard lesson about a week ago. I started boarding because I am afraid of knee injuries (and a hip twist would be really bad for my new hip) wearing skis for kiteboarding. I am now completely convinced I need to stay with the board. This weekend at the MilleLacs Crossing event, Scott recommended I switch to skis just until I could get the multitasking feel of flying and riding at the same time. (Scott didn't know about my knee/hip fears.) Normally a good idea, but unfortunately, the conditions were just perfect for a knee injury. I was taking a lesson from Pete K when the breeze quit, I lost power and went backwards in what Cindy called a backward snowplow, legs went out, knees twisting in and nothing to release my skis when I went down. My knees are now making noise and I am incredibly lucky my hip didn't twist out. I know you are a good instructor, as you were the first one to say exactly what I needed to make a difference in my kite flying after a whole week of disappointing instruction in SPI.
If you do the board teaching event again, I hope to be there.
Janarie
TomG

Post by TomG »

JRN that stuff is nice honestly though I don't think you will need it. Never hurts to wear a helmet. It's supposed to be 40 that day so the snow will be soft. Most of my students don't fall that much anyway. I will also teach you how to fall. As for the step-ins ... my suggestion .. garbage! Make sure your at that shop by 9 so we can get you in some Flow's

Hey Jan. Ya I agree less to think about with the board your body is locked into a position all you have to do is keep your body in that position. If your not real proficient with ski's one can go off in one direction and the other the other direction. That was always my problem :)

I always like to be locked in on the hill and behind the kite. different strokes for different folks :)

Tom
JanMarie

Post by JanMarie »

Tom, I have step-ins as well. Why do you suggest --is it the sinch kind?-- getting more gear?
Janarie
TomG

Post by TomG »

Just out of curiosity what brand ? For kiting you'd be ok because your always on your heel edge. Snowboarding is another story. The best quick example I've heard is. Have you ever driven a car with play in the steering wheel? Same thing happens in step-ins. Problem is you won't even notice.

Thats the quick answer

laters
Reel Nomad

Post by Reel Nomad »

I'm in! See you there!
--
Aleshia Mueller, Reel Nomad Productions
TomG

Post by TomG »

Saturday is looking great ! we have about 10 peeps
JRN

Post by JRN »

TOM, I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH FOR A DAY OF INSTRUCTION. IF YOU CAN GET A DWEEB LIKE ME CARVING DOWN THE HILL, YOU ARE DEFINITELY A GREAT INSTRUCTOR! It was nice to meet some new faces, catch up with some windsurfing buds, and spend a beautiful afternoon with a fun group. :)
Last edited by JRN on Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Luiz

Post by Luiz »

I sencond Jim's words.
Tom, thanks for such a great day. Could not have been better. We owe you several cold ones. Great to meet everyone. Jim you were looking good out there.
See you all on the water (hopefully soon). Luiz.
TomG

Post by TomG »

No problem guys thanks for coming good to see the Progress there Jim. I'm anxious to see the video :) Hopefully I'll get my kites fixed and see you guys this summer!
Reel Nomad

Post by Reel Nomad »

Thanks for the lesson, Tom. And thanks to everyone else for the good company. What a great day!

-Aleshia
--
Aleshia Mueller, Reel Nomad Productions