new line time

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

palmby

new line time

Post by palmby »

just a quick question for those in the know....
does q-powerline really function well without sleeving, as advertised? im sure it would work, but it seems like switching lines or removing lines could be an epic pain with such a small diameter knot even if one uses a reef or larks head... thoughts/experiences?
JERRY

Re: new line time

Post by JERRY »

Q-power line is the only line I use on all 4 of my water bars. Orange and yellow high visibility color are my favorite combo. colors on bar. Tie off with large larks head loops approx. 8" loops. This will ease of connectiing larks heads to pigtails, even with gloves on. No sleeving is required with tying knot with standard overhand. Be sure to prestretch lines to set knots. The sealed line prevents abrasive fine sand from entering internal fibers. These lines are good floaters and tangle resistant, which eases the solo drift launch. Avoid the (rats nest) and go Q. :)

j
"The Pessimist complains about the wind; the optomist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." William Arther Ward
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

I've used it in the past and the stiffness of the line helps loosen a larks head knot. Still not quite as easy as the little pieces of webbing on most pigtails now. You could also put a loop on your Q power then just do a loop to loop to a pigtail. So then your connection point to the kite is the standard pigtail not the Q power.

Make your loops big enough on the Q power, like 3-5"
Fold all lines at the same time prior to making your knot so that they are the same length, easier than trying to match later.

Just reread your question, not sure if I understood it. If not please clarify
Tighe
JRN

Post by JRN »

After shredding most of my lines on docks, boatlifts, & sailboat masts, I am running q-line on all my bars. I replaced the lines in pairs, so for a while I had q-lines in front, & used stock line for the back. I have had no negative issues since the switch. I bought a whole spool from SCUBA, & think it cost less overall than regular line sets. No regrets!
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Did ya get the 300lb line or the 600lb line?
Bryce

Add to google map for MN kiting spots!
Minnesota Kiting Map
JRN

Post by JRN »

One look at my waistline and you could tell: 600# !!
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
palmby

Post by palmby »

you guys pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as what i was getting at. thanks a bunch for the feedback! and yeah, id say 600# is the way to go... IM HUGE!