SOOOOO many threads/gathering

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

johnz

Re: SOOOOO many threads/gathering

Post by johnz »

Hey, Katie, It happened so fast and was pretty shocking, I don't really remember the details, but here goes:

I'm walking out with my snowboard, bag, and kite. I went about 15 yard to the left of Jim, and then went another 15 yards to make room for Jeff who was walking out behind me.

The snow there was maybe 4" of pow on top of more crusty footprints and snowmobile tracks. There was a road out to a clump of ice houses about 250 yards to the right, and other clusters of cars and ice houses about 1/2 mile away on the lake, so it seemed o.k. There was even a pickup truck that had driven about 20 feet out on to the lake at the launch (I walked right by it).

I DIDN'T check with anybody who had local knowledge of the lake before I went out - didn't know anybody - that was stupid.

Anyway, I was trudging along and I don't even think there was water in my footprints for most of the walk. I think I dropped my stuff into the snow and was about to dig in my bag for my ice screw when my foot punched through some crust and into (what I thought would be) and inch of water between the snow and the ice - but it kept going. All of the sudden I'm in up to my waste - rather shocking, but not really that cold - lots of layers!

I immediately turned back to where I came from (a tip from that ice safety video) and, while kicking with my feet to get my body horizontal, crawled out and crawled about 20' away before I stood up. Then I had to go back and get my stuff. I waited until somebody else came over to spot me and crawled back out to get my gear.

I had my ice picks with me in my jacket pocket, but I hadn't strung them through the sleeves. I usually stop doing that once I see cars on the lake. I may rethink that decision going forward. Luckily, I was able to crawl out without them (probably because I only went in up to my waist).

I had brought both skiis and snowboard stuff with, so I went into the car, dried off most of my clothes, snow pants, socks, etc. and then still got in a couple sessions using my skiis.

That's about it.
- z
John Z
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider
krazykatie

Post by krazykatie »

I appreciate you sharing, thanks! I knew that ice wasn't safe in places. I was trying to spot a fisherman type person at the gas station in the morning to ask about the conditions. At first, it was just tighe and i; i felt much safer when others started to arrive.

I think i'm going to invest in some ice picks and either the ozone snowkite harness or a waist harness. It worries me that if i go through the ice w/my board on, I won't be able to get it off. I can hardly reach down w/my seat harness.

I'll have to be sure to sit down w/Kayla tonight and watch the video so we both are prepared, just in case.

One more question John...did anyone see or hear you? did you call for help? I know for myself; I sometimes end up in my own little world out there and can be oblivious to my surroundings at times. Maybe i should wear a whistle or maybe i should stop worrying so much :roll:
johnz

Post by johnz »

No, I didn't call out. I was out of the water pretty quickly.

Then, the jokes started with Jeff and Jim - what a weird time to take a swimming lesson, look, the ice-man cometh, did you see any fish down there, where's your speedo, etc. :P

- z
John Z
steveb

Post by steveb »

Katie. Buy a foot length of 1 inch dowel rod , 2 1 1/2 screws, and 2 curtain screws. ( thread with the head coming around in a circle)
Cut the dowel in half, put a screw in each end and then grind off the screw head leaving a nice pointy pic. Put the circle screws in the other end so you can attach a line which will be long enough to go from your hands, round the back of your neck and down to the other hand. Viola ice picks total cost about $3.
Peter has some of the Ozone harnesses in stock, they work great for boarders.
Regional Ozone Team rider
Jeff G

Post by Jeff G »

Sorry Jim. I set up too close too. It's just that you're so irresistible. I'll keep my distance next time.
JRN

Post by JRN »

JEEF & I were already splitting up J.Z's gear when he managed to wriggle back out. I bet I could have gotten at least $50 for that SS Machine on E-Bay! Maybe if he got some heavier ski-boots... :roll: My only regret in retrospect is that we didn't mark the hole afterwards. We tried to warn the late comers where it was, but its exact location became more fuzzy as the day went by. Or, maybe we were waiting for more loot off the next guy who went in...Hmmm.. :?
Last edited by JRN on Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Woodette

Post by Woodette »

WOW! That is crazy! I'm glad John you are okay!
We have 3 feet of ice and 3 feet of snow here.....but also minus - 100 C below!! Ha, Ha!
JRN

Post by JRN »

KATIE: Pam found some neato ice picks at Gander Mtn. with retractible points so you don't get poked accidentally.
(Steve, If you ever wanted a straight line....there it is! :lol: ) At least down here we don't have to compete with Polar Bears for ice time, even if a few of us fall through once in a while, carry ice picks and glue knives to our helmets!
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})