Calhoun

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

pserrata

Calhoun

Post by pserrata »

Is Calhoun ready? :|
BizzMarkie

Re: Calhoun

Post by BizzMarkie »

I had the same question this morning!!!?! Weird huh??
All us city dwellers wanting a city lake to be open?????

I live right by there and on Sunday it looked like there was no more open water.
With the snow that fell over the weekend I think it helped out a ton.

There were spots all over the north end that was completely covered by snow!
However, it looked like that video of the guys on Spring lake...more ice than snow.

By the way how in the world were you guys riding on skiis in the ice and snow mix....oh probably cause you guys had skis.

Dont think a board is ready yet, or you better have some real sharp edges.

Anyone know of a better place to get readings on the ice for Calhoun????

I dont want to be the first one out there and fall threw :cry:
Lee_Uptown

Post by Lee_Uptown »

Yeah... I was screaming with joy on Sunday morning when I saw Calhoun was completely covered with ice. I don't think I will hit Calhoun till end of Dec/Jan... coz on Saturday there was no ice at all, just water... Calhoun takes forever to freeze deep because it has all those drainage pipes that pour into it.

Some dudes are saying that Nokomis is ready... who knows... I'd wait for ice fishermen to setup shop... :-) It's gonna be super cold this week... so yay for freeze. Mark, where in uptown u live? I live on 31st and Humboldt close to Lunds. We should kite together/carpool... shoot me an email...

leexx638@umn.edu
BizzMarkie

Post by BizzMarkie »

I couldn't have put my emotions into words any better Lee!(sorry i couldnt remember your real name)

Sunday was such a blessing!
A long day of snowboarding at Afton on Sat got me super stoked for the frozen lakes!

I have driven around Nakomis and its defiantly as frozen as Lake of the Isles....at least to my un-trained blind eye.

After this week we should be able to hit up just about anything i think.

We have predictions for snow showers on and off for the REST OF THE WEEK!!!!!!
WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!

I would love to meet up on Sat, possibly even Sun for a session.
If we cant ride the city i could drive us out west and i feel as though we should be able to get something on Tonka somewhere.

All are invited of course.

Oh yeah, i live right off of HGWY 100 & 7 just on the edge of St. Louis Park

Hope the lab is warm today :P
Lee_Uptown

Post by Lee_Uptown »

How do I get a hold of you?

I think saturday I'm gonna go to trollhaugen... sunday will hit up a flat land if we find one :-) My Ice screws should arrive by this weekend.
Ahh you live across bike masters?

I don't think I wanna to go tonka... drove be there sat nite... HOLES eeeek!

Lab is warm... except that there's too much work :-P

See ya!

Eu Han
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

guys just cause it's white doesn't mean it's safe. Actually the snow that's falling is hurting the ice over the lake. The snow creates an insulation so that the cold air temps do not freeze the ice as quickly. Give Calhoun awhile yet before venturing out. It's a deep lake that can take awhile to freeze.

ride safe
Tighe
torisspacedog

Post by torisspacedog »

I would stay away from calhoun for awhile yet last sat it was all water so it will be a couple weeks of cold weather. Alot of the bays on Mtka are froze just stay away from the large open areas.
Lee_Uptown

Post by Lee_Uptown »

I totally agree! Last saturday it was all water... it's only been frozen for 4 days... STAY away form Calhoun.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Hi,
Don't know about Calhoun but I went sailing on Lake Marion by the swimming beach last Sat and yesterday and it was great! I think any lake that is shallow, exposed to the wind would be good on the east side so Cannon would probably be great right now. PS: Last Sat when I was sailing down near the shallower SE side, the center of the lake was still open water. Jag
Lee_Uptown

Post by Lee_Uptown »

Any word on Calhoun?
P R Key

Post by P R Key »

I saw two ice fisherman and one person walking across the entire lake today. It looks pretty good but I won't be the first one out.
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

I will hit Calhoun Sunday around 10:30 AM, then down to my hometown, Madison, hopefully for some big snow over Christmas. Looks like Wingra or Waubesa might be the call. Hope to see some people this Sunday!
" Real living begins on the far side of despair " _ Jean Paul Sartre
dtownkiter

Post by dtownkiter »

Snow cover looks decent and I have also seen a few others out on the ice but no word on anyone kiting it yet. It is such a deep lake that the ice is hard to compare to some of the other lakes.

hopefully we get a few more inches of snow tonight or this wknd. If winds/ice look right I will probably hit up Calhoun as well. Hope to see some of you guys out there.

adam t.
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

I'll bring a long safety rope and my wife with a cell phone just in case. Would be cool to make some of the first tracks! Time to reclaim da hood.
" Real living begins on the far side of despair " _ Jean Paul Sartre
stevenP

Post by stevenP »

Let me know if anyone has tried Calhoun yet or has seen/talked to ice fisherman on it. I'd like to get out Today (Friday) if possible.
sPk
mikeyg

Post by mikeyg »

I would like to hit calhoun today myself! Any word as to what you all think? I am hoping that it is ok! I will bring my girlfriend to watch and of course my ice awls. We can only hope that it is ok.
Mike G.
Dean Rizer

Post by Dean Rizer »

I'm by there everyday. Wednesday there were two fishermen near the middle of the lake 800 yds off the east side. Yesterday I noticed XC tracks near the north shore and it looked like a set of tracks heading SW from the north side. The NW corner is very deep and it is ususlly the last to freeze. I try to stay clear of that area. I'm going to try it Saturday. Before I launch I'll wander out and do some drilling. I's been cold but I wonder about the snow's insulating factor. I think she's ready. :D
mikeyg

Post by mikeyg »

I was on the lake today! The wind was almost dead so it wasn't a successful outing, but there were x-country ski tracks clear across the lake from the west side lot to the east and there were some ice fishermen on the north side. I think that it is ready. I just wish that I could have said that I was the first kite to ride calhoun but alas, the wind was not wanting to cooperate with my request. Oh well! At least I tried. Also, please do drill if you have the means to and post about your findings. I was not capable of such things.
Mike G.
Dean Rizer

Post by Dean Rizer »

Mike, thanks for the report. Sorry you couldn't be the 1st rider. Looks light again tomorrow but I think there will be a few of us ready to give it a try. Looks like it's starting SSE AM and moving to WNW by 5 PM Sat. See you out there!
Jason_L

Post by Jason_L »

I think i'll check it out as well. I'll be keeping the ice picks handy though : )

It should be fairly decent with how cold it was this week. Hope to see some people out there.

Jason