ANY ONE kiting yet?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

EOPPEN

ANY ONE kiting yet?

Post by EOPPEN »

I am coming into the Minneapolis area from WI for the weekend and I want to get out and kite. Does anyone know anywhere that is looking safe for kiting? I am itching for a sesh!
Thanks.
iDoLSurf Shaper/Rider
pete168

Re: ANY ONE kiting yet?

Post by pete168 »

I spent about an hour on Swede Lake yesterday with about a dozen or more DN's. The ice is about 4 inches.

Pete
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,totally worn out and loudly proclaiming. WOW! What a ride!!
EOPPEN

Post by EOPPEN »

how do you think swede will be this weekend?
iDoLSurf Shaper/Rider
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

Eric - I was on Forest lake with skates on Sunday. Great smooth surface. Sweede should be good to go this weekend. There should also be plenty of ice on some parts of Minnetonka by the weekend. Lots of options. If we get snow later this week, get out the skis. If not, there should be great ice for skates. We need to get Mark out on kites this winter now that sailing season is over and and the S2 7.9s are on the hard! Maybe I will see you this weekend.

- Mike
Midwest Mountaineering/Ozone Team Rider
EOPPEN

Post by EOPPEN »

Today on Swede Lake was super fun...was crankin and 18-28 mph. About half a dozen different people flowing through on kites and cool ice board things. I had to use ice skates because the snow was blowing around but was awesome on skates with my Royal ERA 8m bow kite. The ice seemed 6-8" thick, some cracking and popping but ice seems pretty safe.
I highly recommend swede if you are looking for a good sesh. Hopefully there will be good wind tomorrow. I am going to wake up early and hit it again.
Eric
iDoLSurf Shaper/Rider
pete168

Post by pete168 »

It was a great day to be on the ice/snow. Plenty of wind to keep everybody moving. If they get my cable installed early, might have to make another trip to Swede to get the girlfriend kiting.

Pete
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,totally worn out and loudly proclaiming. WOW! What a ride!!
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

How is the snow on swede? Is it ridable without a switchblade or did the wind blow off all the snow? I was in lakeville today where they have more snow then up here. Rode at a small park that was kind of gusty but the selfs between the soccer fields had rather large wind lips on them and I had to surf them up. Heres a map of the park as well as a very nice looking bean field not to far off of 35W. Bean field could probly be ridin right now but would be alot better with more snow of course.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie ... d23d377721

LoL just had to add that if you look at the map use satelitte view and move over cedar ave and 200th st. Looks like there was a plane making an approach to the airport at the time the satelitte was taking pictures or NWA is working with google for advertising. Too funny.
Kevinousdigian

Post by Kevinousdigian »

Several of us were out on Turtle Lake in Shoreview yesterday including Geoff W, Mike W, and Ricardo(?). The wind direction was perfect for launching right next to the boat launch in the SE corner of the lake. The snow covered about 2/3 of the lake where we were kiting. My skis seemed to track decent on the icying spots too. Several ice fisherman that were upwind of us reported 5 - 7 inches of ice.

That Turtle location works on SW, W, NW, and N although I'm not sure if the ice way out in the middle is 5-7" yet. On a west wind you'd have a mile reach along the east shore so that should be safe.

I couldn't stay too long because I needed to a basketball game but it was nice to get out for a little while. Mike again provided the entertainment with his jumps. I counted 5 real seconds of hang time on one of the jumps near shore.

Looks like later today there should be wind later today. Is anyone heading to Ramsey? It sounds like there is perceived to be good ice near shore. Is that right? Maybe a phone call to the bait store on 61 and 96 could confirm it.

KO
Kevin Ousdigian
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

I had a good session on lake onalaska in Lacrosse yesterday! Good snow! The ice seemed 4" plus
Dave G
tom_latcham

Post by tom_latcham »

Many smaller bays on tonka are safe larger bays and main lake are not safe. I kited phelps bay and rode between islands into spring park bay saturday 12/6. I just used my skiis. Snow that was on the lake has blown around. causing many areas of bear ice. Where snow is present it is glued to ice good. You can lean hard with out it coming loose from ice. But you better straighten up when you cross a bear spot. My skiis have very sharp edges. I had no problems. great fun. Do not venture out past islands south of Casco point many holes of open water. I went out because I saw ice houses and snowmobiles on Phelps. I stopped to talk to Ice fisherman. Everyone was reporting 4 to 5 inches of good clear ice.
Tom Latcham
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

Ramsey looks ok if you stay inside the rock pile. The snow cover along the Ramsey shore looks better than further out on the lake. there is still some open water on other parts of the lake. I may try it this afternoon. Any other good southeast wind options with good snow cover? Steve B - how does Cedar look?

- Mike

cell
Midwest Mountaineering/Ozone Team Rider
Mike W

Post by Mike W »

I will be at Ramsey later this afternoon. It sounds good.
stevenP

Post by stevenP »

Chummers & I were snowfering & ice boarding on Saturday on the south end of Medicine lake. It was patchy ice & snow but thick enough for safety. There was also a kiter on skates (Kim) with a 1m trainer. Reported to be thinner ice in the center of the lake but I never saw it.
sPk
Ric

Post by Ric »

Hey Kevin: Nice to meeting you on Saturday at Turtle Lake. That lake works great for N NW and W winds. I was having a bit of trouble holding my edging on the icy parts but it was fun to rip back and forth. I saw mike getting huge air a coupld of times. This is a small lake but it is fun to play on the south end of it.
Take care
Ricardo

I will try to head out to Turtle Lake on Tuesday around 3:30. It looks like the snow will be better and the winds are ideal for that little lake.
stevenP

Post by stevenP »

Just saw that a skater went through the ice on Medicine Lake. No one saw him go in but someone noticed a hat floating on the open water hole. When they pulled him out his heart had stopped. He was reported in critical condition. I think it was on the north end but don't know for sure. Be careful. Talk to the ice fisherman.
sPk