Superior weekend possible?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

dave t

Superior weekend possible?

Post by dave t »

It might be a bit premature, but, does a North wind work in Duluth or does it need to be NE?

Does the shorebreak close out the Wisconsin launches. Herbster, Port Wing, Brule river?

The current forcast (tues. night) is:
Thu Night
SW wind 10 to 20 kt becoming W 15 to 25 kt in the late evening. A chance of rain becoming likely after midnight. Waves building to 4 to 6 ft.
Fri
NW wind to 30 kt. Rain likely. Waves 5 to 8 ft.
Fri Night
N wind to 30 kt. A chance of rain and snow showers. Waves 6 to 9 ft.
Sat
N wind to 30 kt. A chance of rain and snow showers. Waves 7 to 10 ft.
Sun
N wind 15 to 25 kt. A chance of rain and snow showers. Waves subsiding to 5 to 8 ft. East half
Overnight
NW wind 15 to 25 kt. Numerous rain and snow showers. Isolated thunderstorms. Waterspouts possible. Waves 3 to 6 ft.

It looks like the swell might be at least 6 inches bigger than either "Lake Milfoil or the Muddy Farm Pond"

I might have to do some bargaining with my wife but if the Superior forcast holds, I want to get up there again. Anyone Interested in a car/truck pool? give me a ring: Nine52-four32-seven931 (what do you want to hide #s and e-mails from? criminals or pests)
BSMITH

Post by BSMITH »

"NW wind 15 to 25 kt. Numerous rain and snow showers. Isolated thunderstorms. Waterspouts possible. Waves 3 to 6 ft."
It would be woth going just for the waterspouts!
jvpaint

Post by jvpaint »

Hi Dave, I'm going to be up in Duluth this weekend for some family Birthdays, so I could sail Sat. afternoon or Sunday. Can't help you with the carpool idea. I've never sailed there on a north before I would imagine the lake side of Park point would be o-kay. I'll keep your number and give you a call if it's blowin. My cell nember 612-770-1050.

Joe
JimW

Post by JimW »

Often a north wind will be turned to the North-East by the thermal effect of the lake. If it is truly northerly, then a launch from the end of park point may be better than the tot lot. You also mentioned some launches up the south shore of Wisconsin-I have been to the Brule River mouth and that would definately work, Port Wing may be slightly sheltered by the nearby point. The Brule launch is a very remote location so have someone else with you in case of breakdowns etc... No second chances there. :cry:

As far as a shore break closing it out-the Wisconsin shore is much more pronounced than Park Point. You will be faced with getting through those breaking waves to get to the outside, within a matter of 15-20 yrds. Depending on the wind direction, compared to the wave direction, it can be tough-make sure you are powered up. Port Wing has a small breakwater that may enable you to launch with some protection. It is located right by the Port Wing Marina.

One other thing-it is going to be cold this weekend. Snow showers in the forcast for both Thursday and Friday nights. Also the Duluth hotels are booked up except for the $$$ rooms, so plan ahead. There is a nice B and B in Cornucopia (Fo'c'sle ph: (715) 742-3337) that would be a great stay. Not sure on availability. Applefest (in Bayfield) may be filling up everything, up that direction.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Dave -

I live on Park Point and I saw no sign of that forcast... You didn't miss a thing. The most we had was maybe 10 knots all weekend.. North DOES work in Port Wing, but north also generally means NE at park point. Actually, N all the way to SE usually means NE on park point...
dave t

Post by dave t »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. If you guys who know superior really well would be so kind as to post a little heads-up when you believe conditions will get real nice, it would be greatly appreciated by me and, i'm sure, others.

Eventually, the timing will work uot for me again to get another taste of superior's finest!
Hank

Post by Hank »

November 27, 2001 Storm :shock: