classic Reddy day

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Tighe

classic Reddy day

Post by Tighe »

oh what a day. classic Reddy. Stong wind, nice swell, great energy on the water. So much fun riding and hanging with everyone.

Today looks stellar. Many have stayed. Hope some of you can come up.
Tighe
johntr

Re: classic Reddy day

Post by johntr »

Sunday was my first visit to Mille Lacs. Quite the experience! I've never sailed on a beach that wide, broad, sandy, and shallow. What a blast.

Why were there no other windsurfers at Reddy? (I was *struggling* with my wide board, but kept expecting to see a couple of small board folk shredding it up.) Is there a better place than Reddy for windsurfing?

Thanks,
John
Bluewatergirl

Post by Bluewatergirl »

What a day! Old friends new friends steady wind and warm temps!!!! My best day kiting yet! Just a note to whom ever was flying the Green Best Waroo(will not mention a name) ON TOP OF THE SHORE :evil: ! Although we all appreciate your mad skills we are allowed to kite there because we are respectul of the swimmers waders and families sitting on the beach. Just like with driving, pedestrains have the right away kiting in between people playing frisbee,swimming, or walking is not cool or respectful. Although you may have complete control the nonwind people do not know how to react if a situtation were to occur, there is always the unpredictable leading edge blow, line snap, bridle break or just a newbie putting a kite down in front of you or crossing your line. I myself do not appreciate being on shore and having the kite swoop down over my head nor do I like to have negative comments from families sitting down the beach from me as their children are playing in the water about "how unsafe we are". This subject has come up time and again and most of us respect the 100 yards from shore rule, please do so as well. Everyone else sorry for the rant but after 3 different people made comments something has to be said. Tighe I hope as our fearless leader you can add some input regarding the saftey of this issue.

Steady winds warm temps and postitive flow to you all
Sun,warm waters,Ocean Breezes,wind and laughter, thats what living should really be about
mdh01

Post by mdh01 »

Yep, great day on the water!

I have to agree about the safety thing...I know it doesn't help when an adult group of swimmers decide to play water polo right in the middle of what appeared to be the "Reddy Pro Pool" :? However, this area is a public beach used by families and non kiters, so always give them plenty of room. We need to launch and spread out when it is crowded. I stopped several times for swimmers coming out from the beach to let them safely pass. Yeah, it's a hassle, but we need to give them the right of away!

It did get a bit crowded for launching and landing, but once out in the water, I found the ride more enjoyable by clearing out from the crowd and not having to worry about getting in someones way.....

Mark
djmadmike

Post by djmadmike »

Glad you had a fun time Heather! Did you fly the new Cab?? I was not able to make it up---stupid skoool stuff. Booo hiss. Can't wait for padre
Mike N
JBailey

Post by JBailey »

I was not able to make it to ML this wknd either, but Waconia Sun and Mon were incredible!! For those out there earlier today, I was the newbie trying to hold down the red/white/black 9m T2 for most of the afternoon. What an amazing session. And many, many thanks to the windsurfer who grabbed my board when it got away from me and I was having trouble body dragging back to it!

Jon B
scottman

Post by scottman »

I agree with the don't fly your kite over the shore line deal even though I'm one that does it every once in a while, I'll definately work on that in the very near future. Here is what I do have an issue with and I'm not going to budge on it, when I get there in the morning and rig my kite and take off and start riding, and in a couple of hours later come back in, this is with another I have another kite already on the beach rigged and ready to go with all my stuff on the beach, sorry but I'm not going to pick up all my stuff and move down the line for a family that decides to plop down there right next to me. We have always said that the swimmers have the right of way and they do when in the water, but I have a right to be at the baech just as much as they do and if they have an issue with someone landing there kites or launching them close to the family then don't set up camp right next to my gear. I have been to Reddy now for the last six years and it never fails almost no matter where I set up a group of local teanagers or a family plop down next to me, I can't help it if they do it but I'm not going to ask them to move, first come first serve, I don't want to drive down the line if I get there at 9:00am to kite just as when the non kiters show up at 12:00 noon or 2:00pm to be at the beach they don't want to drive down the line to swim, but maybe they should. Another thing, us kiters usually end up cleaning up after the non kiters when they leave, garbage, broken glass crap like that everywhere, so this be aware of the beach goers is great but it goes both ways.
steveb

Post by steveb »

We have to remember the people coming to the beach don't know there's danger involved with kites.They will sit there as the kites an attraction, it's something they don't have and if they sit by it a little of the magic may rub off and by association there lives may be a little more fun too.
In American highschool terms you're " popular" Scott. If you just had a couple of bags or a weight bag on the beach it probably wouldn't happen.
With the growth in our sport one of the things I've been thinking of late is at Reddy we should not ride through and near the launching area. Use it to get in and out then ride else where. The last couple of times I was up there I had to abort coming in a couple of times as there was just too many people between me and the beach. I'm as bad as anyone, I think turn and get away and then, I'll just ride throught this gust, there's Terry I best head downwind so I can spray him :lol: next thing I know I'm at the beach again.So I'm as bad as anyone but I promise I'll make a better effort, I hope some of you will also decide it's a good idea.
Regional Ozone Team rider
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

What an amazing weekend. Riding til you just can't anymore, hangin in the sun on an actual beach with sand in your toes, hot winds, the roar of wind in the trees, glossy waves, huge floaters, so many smiles, shimmering waters to the right in the morning and to the left in the evening. sleeping under the stars, good food and hearty laughs. I was fortunate enough be with Mille lacs and so many wonderful people for the entire weekend. oh, that was good.

I found if you connect with the people in the water it's easier to remember where they are. Kids love being sprayed so I made a point of spraying them on most passes. It get's really hard to see the little bobbing heads late in the day though.

I felt numerous times I was being a bad kiter. That big glossy swell would appear and I'd grab it as I went skyward, only to realize there was either someone coming toward me, up behind me or under me. sorry for that. As I've pointed out before, the best ride in when you lose yourself in it, and that's the most dangerous around others. The swell and the energy in close was too hard to pass up.

Someone mentioned over the weekend that Reddy was such a great place to learn. I highly disagree. Even though you can get out 2-3 line lengths from shore, it would take no time at all if your kite were in a death spiral to be into the trees. Those who choose to go way to the left to learn reduce the risk to others (beach goers and other kiters) but still are practicing in pretty unsafe conditions. Malmo is such a better place to learn. Uncrowded sideshore winds are far better and safer to learn in. Matt spent Saturday and Sunday at Malmo and dialed in riding upwind. He jotted over to Reddy after his session to hang with the crew. Please if your learning, head to Malmo.

"Fearless leader" Heather? I think not. I was a bit concerned about his riding as well. I rode along the shore a few times as well. I'm hoping that there is a perceived difference between cruising with the kite locked overhead and radical kite moves with the kite swinging over the beach. If not I'm as guilty as he. He is a very talented rider, though I agree I think it was a bit risky and disrepectful. The best way to approach these situations is to approach the rider afterwards and openly discuss your concerns. If someone reading this forum, knows the individual please relay these concerns to him.

Unfortunately the weekend ended on a bit of a unfortunate note. After riding hard all weekend, Michelle sent it and touched the heavens, only to come back to Earth boardless and in extremely shallow water. She landed on her knee and most likely popped some ligaments. Terry got her stabilized and she and Seth headed off to the ER in Brainerd. She was in good spirits and hopefully it won't be too bad. Send her some good vibes.

What a great weekend of play. Thanks to all who shared the wind and the water.
Tighe
RobH

Post by RobH »

It was so nice to ride Reddy and the constant winds with the playground of waves - always a good day. The safety issue Heather brought up was further down on the east side of the beach as the kite passes were constantly going overhead of the beach, not just the occasional coming into shore. The one thing that every kiter needs to remember is that if there is conflict or a accident at the beach it will be the kiters that would be banned, not the beach goers and swimmers. With that in mind we need to be very respectful and represent ourselves as safe and courteous. Even though the green best was in control it’s a perception thing. Riding with the kite constantly over the beach, cutting through swimmers or in between people tossing football back in forth is just uncalled for when it can be avoided.
I did approach the kiter and let him know several people were unhappy, nuff said. Sorry to hear Michelle went down - hope to see you back on the water soon
Rob Hyland
Cabrinha Shop Rider / Lakawa Team Rider
JanMarie

Post by JanMarie »

Tighe wrote: Please if your learning, head to Malmo.
I was one of the learners at Reddy. If I had seen even one kite at Malmo on Monday, I would have gone there to learn, Tighe. As it was, we were pretty alone anyway, sequestering ourselves 1/2 mile away from the other kiters trying to get far away from the infants on the beach. I want to thank the several kiters who came down that far to check on us, especially the ones who stopped to help. It totally helped me feel connected to the community. I realize I am a danger to society and myself, but I am trying. In fact, my husband Dave says I am VERY trying.

Dave had a great idea for next time the wind is from that same direction: we plan on having someone drop us off and launch us at Malmo and body dragging to Reddy. I'll have to bring my waist harness, though. I wore my seat harness for the first time (the one I bought on the auction for way too cheap---it fits!) and when I tried body dragging I found myself under water and upside down. I was having a great time, but couldn't quite get the hang of controlling the kite from that position. Although, with Jeff G's help and a borrowed 9M bow-style kite, I was able to body drag vertically in my seat harness with the kite at about 11:30! :D :D When I told Jeff that made my whole weekend, he said, "You ARE scary". Thanks for the ride, Jeff.

I have so many other people to thank and I can't remember all their names but Michelle is one. Get Well Michelle. Also thanks to the crew from Madisson - Andy, Katie and Victor - for your help and for sharing dinner with my friend George and me, and your campsite with me.

What a perfect weekend!
Janarie
scottman

Post by scottman »

I suppose the answer would be to just go down the beach away from the potapotty direction so that we could just give up the beach up that way for all the swimmers and be done with it as long as you have 4 wheel drive, my bet would be that even if we went all the way down as far s you could go the swimmers would follow us anyway. Best to everyone and i hope everyone had a great weekend of kiting at Reddy and Malmo and hope to see some people up there again, it kind of felt like the old magic was back some 6 years ago when everyone just came up to learn to kite and have some fun, too bad there wasn't another lake to kite at that was like Millacs.
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

I just LOVE that place.

Good luck to Michelle. Let me know if you need any good books - I was in that positition all of last year.

Thanks to Victor, Andy and Katy also for sharing the campsite and Eric and Anna for letting me sleep with the adorable Duke who I miss already.

Hope we have some more days like we had this past weekend. Still waiting to try that 5m of Tighe's (or shall I say David Beckham). It's great being around people who share the same passion.

Debbie
Bill S.

Post by Bill S. »

Hey scottman, I don't know you and mean no disrespect, but it was precisely the "I'm not gonna budge" attitude you express about kiters v. beachgoers that closed a prime beach to kiting on Lake Michigan last summer. A kiting "regular" at the beach apparently got frustrated with lots of beachgoers showing up after he "was there first," and intentionally laid out his lines and kite over their towels, etc. Someone called the cops. The media reported. The community debated. Eventually, a judgment was made that kiting posed too great a liability to the safety of beachgoers. And kiting was banned from that beach.

As a kiter I side with the beachgoers on this one. Wherever and whenever they arrive, if I'm riding, I put their right to "the comfortable enjoyment of the property" (a legal phrase) above mine and adjust accordingly. If it means moving down the beach a hundred yards to rig, launch and land, so be it: trading beachgoers a tiny sliver of land for the vastness of the water is still a great deal.

My wife and daughter were once playing along the beach and dive-bombed repeatedly, at close range, by the kite of a pro-level rider who was throwing tricks a stone's throw from shore. Knowing something of the risks of kiting, they were both a little frightened and a lot annoyed. When the guy came in I told him so. He was very respectful and apologized. It usually doesn't take much to keep things peaceful at the beach.

Bill
scottman

Post by scottman »

Yeah your right Bill, I just wont kite there anymore I guess.
Prof Marc

Post by Prof Marc »

I was watching with admiration as Michelle was learning to jump; she was getting some good air! Let's hope that it's not a serious break or tear.

A special thanks to "Rick" (?) who fetched my board for me yesterday. I lost it past where I could plant my feet. With the waves rolling in and the sun low in the sky, I just couldn't spot the board for the life of me. It's way cool to help out beginners this way. I'll pay it forward when I'm good enough at the sport.

--Marc
TomG

Post by TomG »

I'm so jealous of you guys .. man I missed a great weekend of kiting.. Hope all had tons of fun!
The real pro isnt the one who doesn't make a mistake. The real pro is the one that does the best job hiding it!
MadCityAndy

Post by MadCityAndy »

Great weekend, great wind, great beach, and great people! My first visit was definitely worth the trip.

Thanks to Jeff, Debbie, George, Janarie, Tighe, Katie, and numerous other kiters whose names I forgot or didn't get, for making Victor, Katie, and me feel like welcome members of the kiting community. Maybe someday it'll be blowing stink in Wisconsin and crap in Minnesota and we can return the favor.

As Gary said to Bob, "If you guys want some of our wind........ your going to have to suck more!! hehe"

Well, if anyone was watching, our not sucking enough isn't for lack of trying. LOL!

Andy
MadCity, WI
krazykatie

Post by krazykatie »

Good to meet you Andy! Maybe you and your crew will make it back down for the crossing at the end of the month?

What an enjoyable weekend out on the water! I was there friday-monday evening minus the unfortunate detour i had to take sunday night to host party at my place. You all can thank me for the wonderful winds sunday and monday mornin :roll: Gawd! it was awful driving away from the lake sunday afternoon. I'm glad you all were able to let loose at Carlsona in my absence...i heard it got pretty crazy. I would have paid to see tighe dancing on the table tops :lol: I heard i missed out :?
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider